Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Trouble With Nail Trimming
Information
Jul 12 2014
10:41:33 PM
About a week ago I received my long awaited dream of owning sugar gliders. I was given ( for free) a mother and daughter pair. Zoe (mom) Peaches (daughter). The people that had them last didn't trim their nails. I am waiting on my bonding pouch to arrive, so they have not yet bonded with me. I am not sure if I should take them to my vet to have their nails trimmed or if I should do them myself? I have never trimmed a sugar gliders nails, and quite frankly I am scared to do it, as they might bit me or I might hurt them. What do you guys think?

P.S- they also had them on a pellet diet, which in turn has made their coats brown. I have weaned them off of the pellet diet onto HPW Complete, plus a mixture of fruits and veggies. Just wanted to let you guys know that I have done my research before getting them.
Information
Jul 12 2014
10:46:45 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
I personally won't trim nails. I have heard that some vets will do so for like less than ten dollars per glider. Long nails can be a major hazard and I definitely recommend you go get their nails trimmed if you can afford it.

For the long run, get a stealth wheel with trim trax. This is by far the safest wheel for gliders, and the trim trax cut their nails safely. This will cost you about $65 but will last a long time and is worth it.
Information
Jul 12 2014
11:48:51 PM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
Congrats on your new gliders and Welcome to GG!

It is dangerous to not cut toenails because they can get stuck and actually rip a toe off trying to get free.

If you have them in a sleeping pouch in the cage, that will work ok too, Or a large piece of fleece to wrap them like a "burrito" so you can grab out one foot at a time. You just want to be in an enclosed area so if they get out, they can get lost in your home.

See the video links below...

Waiting to trim nails until they are "bonded" is not realistic. Some gliders are friendly and it doesn't take long at all... to some that may never like to be handled.

Putting them in a bonding pouch while they sleep on you is more for you, yes they will get used to your sounds, voice and smell but to become bonded to you it really takes play time with them for them to decide if they trust you and want to hang out with you.

While trimmer tracks in the Stealth wheel and the Raptor wheels are great...they do not replace the need to trim nails. You just hopefully won't need to trim them as often.

Trimming nails during the day when they are very sleepy and using a favorite treat like a meal worm or vanilla yoggie helps a lot too.

here are some great videos to help you get started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWIR5hjuS-E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_2-wCceM-s
Information
Jul 13 2014
03:49:34 PM
BandP Super Glider Visit BandP's Photo Album 389 Posts
Our vet charges $80 per visit, so no way will we go every month just to have nails trimmed. We are constantly afraid that we will hurt them; they bite and squirm, but it is getting easier and quicker.

Just make sure you have a piece of fleece to hold them in (cover the head so they don't have to watch and can't bite). Watch any videos on youtube you can find. Lucky Sugar Glider Rescue has a good one. I've heard some people say they can do it while in the bonding pouch, but we've never tried. Also, ArtJoy.com seems to sell a nail trimming kit that people seem to like. Never tried it though.

Good Luck!
Information
Jul 13 2014
05:08:35 PM
devins10 Joey Visit devins10's Photo Album WY, USA 14 Posts
Thanks everyone for replying. I will be taking them to get their nails trimmed at the vet this week, and I order the nail trimming kit from Artfire.com. I will use that from now on. The only reason I am taking them to the vet is because their nails are so over grown that they need a vets attention. I am excited to get the nail trimming kit though! Oh and I did order a stealth wheel, I just forgot to add the trimming track, can you buy them and put them in the wheel after the fact?

Thanks a Bunch,
Devin
Information
Jul 13 2014
07:26:18 PM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by devins10

Thanks everyone for replying. I will be taking them to get their nails trimmed at the vet this week, and I order the nail trimming kit from Artfire.com. I will use that from now on. The only reason I am taking them to the vet is because their nails are so over grown that they need a vets attention. I am excited to get the nail trimming kit though! Oh and I did order a stealth wheel, I just forgot to add the trimming track, can you buy them and put them in the wheel after the fact?

Thanks a Bunch,
Devin

I believe you can go back to the site and order them.
Make sure you order the vinyl screws and nuts to attach them, not just the sand paper strips.

on the "Part page link"
http://atticworx.com/1Stealth%20Wheels.htm

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders