GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Raptor wheel concerns
Raptor wheel concerns
Health related
Jul 13 2014
02:53:49 AM
Hello,

I understand that this forum is not a replacement for taking my sugar glider to a vet. However, I would like to hear some other opinions on this. I bought my sugargliders a raptor wheel after being in a cheap knock-off petstore brand for quite a while. I was very impressed with the raptor wheel when I received it and I also had the trim tracks included. One of my sugargliders LOVES to run in the wheel. She will start running and then it will spin her in tons of circles sending her upside down. I have seen her fall once. Not too long after getting the wheel, I took my gliders out for tent time, and one of them seemed to be having trouble gripping the wall with her back right leg. She seems happy, healthy, active, and she has a great appetite.
Can sugargliders little feet get caught in the open spaces in the track of the raptor wheel? Has anyone seen anything like this?
Thanks
Health related
Jul 13 2014
07:18:06 AM
CLo1227 Glider Visit CLo1227's Photo Album 172 Posts
If she fell, she could have injured herself. Having nails that are too short can also cause it to be harder to climb and grip. I would check and see if her nails on that foot look like they have been filed down really short (from the trim trax). If so, take the trim trax out. If you have any doubt or the nails still look pretty long, I would suggest a vet visit.
Health related
Jul 13 2014
12:15:07 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
The trim trax can cut their nails too short, I only ever have them in the wheel a day at a time, as needed. If their nails get too short, they cannot cling to things or grip properly. Hopefully that's the issue and you can take the trim trax out and see. But if it's only one back leg she might be hurt. Look up the symptoms of hind leg paralysis as well and make sure it doesn't seem like that. Try holding her and gently pull back on each of her legs and see if she reacts differently or if it seems to hurt. The vet did that once to check for muscle weakness/pain, so maybe if you can test her reaction for one hind leg vs the other it'll help you know if something is wrong. If something seems wrong or she stop using it or something she absolutely will need to see the vet. Side note, ours fall and fling out of the wheel all the time and act like it's fun. So falling doesn't necessarily mean she's hurt, but of course falling isn't a great thing to do... good luck!

Edited by - astockd1 on Jul 13 2014 12:16:08 PM
Health related
Jul 13 2014
01:41:58 PM
pocketandmew Glider Visit pocketandmew's Photo Album 97 Posts
Thank you all so much for your responses. I took the trim tracks out of the wheel and I will see what that does. I have to buy them a travel wheel at the petstore today like their old one today that they will be in for a week. I will test out her hind legs tonight. So their little feet can't get stuck in the grates of the raptor wheel?
Raptor wheel concerns

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Raptor wheel concerns