Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
A few questions
A few questions
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 13 2014
07:13:06 PM
Hello, I have a few questions about my new baby joey. I have had my female and intact male for a year and a half now and had all but given up on them ever having babies despite being 3 years old and of no relation. Well, a couple of weeks ago, to my amazement, a joey was found (by my boyfriend who had been taking care of them while I was away). The baby is OOP and seems to be healthy. The mother and father seem to be taking well care of it.

So a few questions that I have are, one: when should I start feeding it and how? I have let him/her lick my finger that I had some pure honey on, but I am assuming he/she is not ready for most solid food yet? I also put some glideraide in a very shallow drinking bowl for the mother, and have stepped up on their fruits and veggies. Next question. Is it ok to start holding the baby? I admit that I have picked her/him up for very short periods of time but didn't want to have any rejection issues. I am just very eager to start the bonding process. Sorry for the long message. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 13 2014
08:58:47 PM
THEHYLAND Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit THEHYLAND's Photo Album FL, USA 4774 Posts
Hello peoples, been gone for while very busy. No you don't need to feed it unless the parents have given it up. As long as they are feeding it and taking care of it you don't. If the parents let you hold it do so but also hold them, this all depends on how good of a connection you have with the parents. What ever you do don't take the joey away from them for long periods of time, no need to stress them and force them to reject it. Next and very important it depends on the joeys sex, but you will need to get the male/males fixed asap, if you plan on keeping the baby or if you don't want a boat load full of gliders. Once started they will breed like rabbits and over run you, plus you don't want inbreeding. Good luck.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 13 2014
11:23:21 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
I personally WOULD feed the baby, only because my experience with joeys was that mom didn't have enough milk and they started to decline due to not having enough food... It's always okay to feed a joey as much as they will eat. You can get Esbilac Puppy Milk/Formula at the store, mix it with plain Pedialyte, and some apple juice and/or honey in it. Suck up the liquid with an eye dropper or syringe, and dab some liquid onto the baby's lips. Don't put it into their mouth, as they choke EASILY (and/or aspirate, meaning they inhale liquid and could die). So if they lick it up you dab it on their lips again, and however long they seem interested keep doing it. It won't take a lot.

Yes, hold the joey. Help get it used to hands, and to you. If it's small, hold it for just a few minutes at a time. Increase this as it gets older if you'd like. Mom can get really freaked out if you hold the baby for too long, so make sure you're within her view so she knows it is safe. The joey may cry for mom, it sounds a bit like crabbing but it's very distinctly crying. You can cup it in your hands and try to warm him up, try feeding him- or give him right back to mom. When you handle the joey, if it is small (meaning like the size of a thumb-ish) you MUST be careful to keep it warm. They can die within like 15 minutes of not cuddling up to something warm.

If you mean that you put liquid in a bowl, stop doing that. If the joey gets into it it could drown. Even if it's very shallow, not worth the risk. Give momma more protein- plain turkey, yogurt, baby food, mealworms, anything. Give her a lot so that she can have as much as she needs- her milk production is directly related to her protein intake, so baby needs her to have plenty of protein too. If the parents seem to be doing good, that's awesome. You shouldn't have to do anything, but make sure he doesn't get left alone ever, or have scratches on his face. Watch for other signs of rejection too. You do not have to feed the joey, I just personally would give it the option to supplement feed if it is hungry. If there's only one mom probably has plenty of milk, but you can't be sure!

GOOD LUCK! Joeys are amazing. =)
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 13 2014
11:28:13 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
You do not need to feed the joey anything until it begins going to the food dish with mom & dad at about 5 to 6 weeks. I would not feed the joey any honey or other licky treats until it is close to being weaned. You do not want to reduce its appetite for milk while it is a nursing joey.

Do increase the staple you are offering the adults by an extra portion. Mom needs the extra protein, vitamins and calcium to make milk for the joey.

Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 14 2014
04:18:39 PM
Lonefang Joey Lonefang's Journal 20 Posts
Thanks so much for the information. I have held the baby a few more times, but only when I'm feeding the parents and they are well occupied by the food, and only for a few minutes at a time. She/he does not cry, but did the first few times so I think she/he is already getting used to me. Thanks again.
A few questions

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
A few questions