Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New Parents with Food Question
Food, Diet
Jul 15 2014
07:14:57 PM
Hi everyone! My boyfriend and I are new parents to a pair of male sugar gliders! We have been doing research for weeks!! But now that we actually have them, we have more specific questions.

We bought them from their previous owner who said she had had them for 3 years. I can tell they were from Pocket Pets because they came with a heating rock (which I got rid of) & Pocket Pets brand vitamin shake to go on their food. I'm not going to use that, either.

They were primarily feeding them dry pellets & dry fruit with fresh fruits and veggies every night. You can tell their diet has not been the best because their fur has the little cracks running through it rather than looking smooth. Otherwise, I haven't noticed any issues, but am planning on getting them to a vet soon.

After looking at all of the diets under Gliderpedia, I have decided to go with the HPW Complete and mixed fruits/veggies. I ordered some today, but it said shipping will take one to two weeks (note to self for next time!!). So, my question is, what can I do to properly feed them until their HPW Complete comes in? I know to give them fruits and veggies, but should I be giving them anything else at dinner time until the supply arrives?
Food, Diet
Jul 16 2014
08:18:30 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
The BML diet referenced in the Gliderpedia (above) is one that doesn't require anything that you can't get at your grocery store and a pet store. It does need to be followed exactly as written but will be easy and cost effective until you get your shipment in. After being on their current "diet" for so long they may take a day or two to get used to eating something different. But, there is no reason to wait to get them on the path to better health. There also shouldn't be an issue of switching them over to the HPW when you get it. Maybe a 3 day period that you'll notice.

The poor little guys are lucky you've found them! I hope everything goes well at their well check with the vet! 3 years is a long time to have been kept that way.

Congrats and welcome to gliderhood!
Food, Diet
Jul 20 2014
02:29:39 PM
BandP Super Glider Visit BandP's Photo Album 389 Posts
Until your diet comes in, you can feed them other sources of protein like boiled/baked chicken, eggs, turkey, as long as there are no spices including salt
Food, Diet
Jul 20 2014
06:40:20 PM
Jessica22 Starting Member 6 Posts
Thank you guys! I had looked at the BML diet before, but after looking at it again, I decided to simply feed them that rather than the HPW Complete. It's much easier than ordering the diet online. Plus, I think it will be more beneficial for their health & I want the best for them! :)

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders