Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sugar Glider Meals?
Sugar Glider Meals?
Food, Diet
Jul 15 2014
10:29:31 PM
I know his is probably a stupid question, but can I leave my suggies meal in their cage all night and just take it out in the morning? I usually feed them one small piece of cut up Tyson grilled and ready chicken, cantaloupe, honeydew, or another fruit, a few peas, green beans, and carrots, and a spoonful of a Beechnut organic baby food with their vitamins inside. I just want to know if I can leave this in their cage all night and it still be alright to eat and won't be bad or spoiled and they eat it. Please help!

Edited by - xopaigery on Jul 15 2014 10:31:21 PM
Food, Diet
Jul 16 2014
01:56:38 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Yes you should always leave the food in the cage over night. Gliders have very small stomachs and cannot eat a large amount at one time - but they do eat several times during the night.

Please look at some of the widely used glider feeding plans to provide your glider with a well balanced diet.

The tyson chicken probably has additives like salt that are not good for your glider long term.

I have links on my web page to help you locate information on several diets you might want to consider.

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com/Staple-Recipes.html
Food, Diet
Jul 16 2014
12:54:44 PM
xopaigery Starting Member Visit xopaigery's Photo Album NC, USA 9 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Candy

Yes you should always leave the food in the cage over night. Gliders have very small stomachs and cannot eat a large amount at one time - but they do eat several times during the night.

Please look at some of the widely used glider feeding plans to provide your glider with a well balanced diet.

The tyson chicken probably has additives like salt that are not good for your glider long term.

I have links on my web page to help you locate information on several diets you might want to consider.

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com/Staple-Recipes.html

Thank you so much!
Food, Diet
Jul 18 2014
10:49:06 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
You can leave it out overnight. Most gliders eat throughout the night. And yeah, be careful with the ingredients in frozen chicken. =)
Food, Diet
Aug 14 2014
01:47:44 AM
Buttercups Apple Buggy Starting Member Visit Buttercups Apple Buggy's Photo Album 2 Posts

HHi! I'm new so I hope I'm doing this right! # I made this meal for my First sugar glider ButterCups !! It's a smorgasbord of mixed fruits and veggies and a bit of babyfoods too and she loved it! ! Also it has some mealieworms and yogart yumms too!!
Food, Diet
Aug 14 2014
08:09:38 AM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
Like Candy had said, you need to provide your glider a well balanced diet. Below is a link that list several of the approved diets that have kept glider healthy for a good number of years:

www.sugarglider.com/gliderpedia/index.asp?Diet

The BML is good because the ingredients are easy to get. The HPW is easy to prepare since it comes all packed up, you just need to add water (if you buy HPW Plus) or some bee pollen and honey (if you buy the HPW Complete), but you need to wait for it to be shipped. Candy's diet plan is another good option.

It is up to you what you choose to feed. Just keep in mind that with diets is necessary for you to follow the instructions provided, because the people that came up with these diets did it so gliders would get the exact amount of nutrients they need; and when you change things around so does the nutritional values.

All the things you are currently feeding are approved things gliders can eat, but in moderation. Mealies and yogurt drops are usually treats (except in the BML where they are part of the diet itself), feeding too many of these can make your suggie fat, and then create other health issues.

Hope this is helpful.

Edited by - rustypossumfart on Aug 14 2014 08:11:09 AM
Food, Diet
Aug 14 2014
03:17:09 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Welcome!

Ok...that's a gorgeous preparation of food you have there...really!

But. It is an awful lot of food for one glider (however she will pick and chose at her favorites) and as stated several times by our friends above, this is not going to provide the extremely important balanced diet that these tiny creatures must have in order to really thrive and be healthy and happy.

I hope you'll come back with many questions to help your new baby. I have a feeling you're going to find in time that there are some other things you may want to inquire about other than diet. But, get a good start there and once you get that part in place...move on to the other areas of glider care.
Pictures
Aug 22 2014
11:12:08 PM
Buttercups Apple Buggy Starting Member Visit Buttercups Apple Buggy's Photo Album 2 Posts

Sugar Glider Meals?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sugar Glider Meals?