Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
WEIRD Worm found in cage tray
Health related
Jul 29 2014
12:10:29 PM
Hi all, I found what I think is a worm in the cage this AM when I was cleaning it out. Looks all twisted up, it was creamy-white colored, it was dried, not squishy so I couldn't unravel it to see how long it was... my guess maybe about an inch or two?? Thinner than a mealworm, a bit thinner than the thickness of pencil lead. I have a male and female, both are acting fine/normal. Thank you!!!
Health related
Jul 29 2014
12:29:00 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
That's one of those moments!

It sounds too big (if 1-2 inches) to have been from the gliders themselves. They could have gotten a hold of something and that's what is left. Is it possible that when washing a drop tray or toys outside that it could have been brought into the cage accidentally?

Also, if you aren't totally sure that it was a worm, could it have been something that unraveled from a toy that they may have chewed on to make it unrecognizable? Certain ones may have a little piece of plastic or who knows what that you may haven't have seen, but they found.

???
Health related
Jul 29 2014
12:39:33 PM
BushBaby Starting Member Visit BushBaby's Photo Album 6 Posts
Thank you! I will keep an eye on them and see if anything else "appears". If it is not a worm, I can't imagine what it could be...?!?!?! Thank you again!
Health related
Jul 29 2014
02:11:52 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Do you have anything attached to the cage with small zip ties? Your gliders may have chewed one off and dropped it into the cage pan.
Health related
Jul 29 2014
02:34:47 PM
Nope I don't think it is a twist-tie, here is a photo... sorry, I should have done this for my original post. It really looks like a worm to me... YUCK!

Edited by - BushBaby on Jul 29 2014 02:39:05 PM
Health related
Jul 29 2014
05:41:05 PM
Cora1 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Cora1's Photo Album TX, USA 935 Posts
For peace of mind go get a fecal float and smear on your gliders
Health related
Jul 29 2014
06:28:14 PM
Toodles_Jennie Joey Visit Toodles_Jennie's Photo Album Toodles_Jennie's Journal TX, USA 49 Posts
That doesn't look like any worm I've ever seen, even in cats and dogs. I know this sounds stupid but it almost looks like a twirled up wet noodle that dried up. I know tape worms get fairly large but usually break off in segments. But I totally agree with others to get a fecal test done to be on the safe side
Health related
Jul 29 2014
08:43:31 PM
is your male neutered? could this be the remains of a joey
Health related
Jul 29 2014
11:58:26 PM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
It looks like a ramen noodle.

You said you did not try to untangle it?

Was it like rubbery like a rubber band?

You could also bring that with you to the vet when you take in the fecal samples and see what the vet says.

Edited by - Minnesota Zoo on Jul 29 2014 11:59:43 PM
Health related
Jul 30 2014
10:06:36 AM
No my male is not neutered. How is that part of a joey? What part??

Yes it does look like a noodle - but much too small. The key is a normal sized house key, the picture is zoomed in, so the size is not as big as it appears on your computer screen. No I did not untangle it... It was dried out/hard when I found it yesterday.

No weird stuff in the cage this morning when I cleaned out the tray... No fragments or pieces, etc.

I have read that you should NOT use a dog or cat dewormer... is there anything that is suitable for sugar gliders? I don't intend to give them anything before consulting a vet... but I wanted to know if you all had any suggested natural treatments?

Thanks!
Health related
Jul 30 2014
10:16:38 AM
MamaBird Face Hugger GliderMap Visit MamaBird's Photo Album USA 438 Posts
No, there is no "natural" treatment. A fecal and float would be best at this point ad I'd take the specimen with me.
Let know if you decide to take them, I'd love to know what that is.
Health related
Jul 30 2014
10:25:55 AM
MamaBird Face Hugger GliderMap Visit MamaBird's Photo Album USA 438 Posts
Sooooo, apparently I can't read and also can't find the edit button I swear used to exist.
I'm sorry, I misread your post. You did not say anything about a natural treatment, I somehow created that and now sound like a big jerk.
Health related
Jul 30 2014
12:51:57 PM
No, I did ask about any other treatments - natural or otherwise. You're not a big jerk ! Thank you for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Health related
Jul 30 2014
01:59:08 PM
cassiebucher Starting Member Visit cassiebucher's Photo Album 4 Posts
just wondering if this is solved?!
Health related
Jul 30 2014
02:41:05 PM
Nope, not yet!
Health related
Jul 30 2014
05:37:56 PM
Have you taken them and that thing to the vet??? Fecals, floats and smears are in order do you have a vet?
Health related
Aug 11 2014
06:18:13 PM
TotesMaGoats Glider Visit TotesMaGoats's Photo Album TotesMaGoats's Journal VA, USA 84 Posts
Was this ever solved? I'm very curious as to what it was
Health related
Aug 11 2014
06:34:14 PM
sunglider Face Hugger Visit sunglider's Photo Album 669 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Minnesota Zoo

It looks like a ramen noodle.

You said you did not try to untangle it?

Was it like rubbery like a rubber band?

You could also bring that with you to the vet when you take in the fecal samples and see what the vet says.

I agree with MinesotaZoo it kinda looks like ramen noodle dried up.
Health related
Aug 11 2014
07:57:58 PM
PeanutandSid Glider Visit PeanutandSid's Photo Album 56 Posts
Now I'm curious!
Health related
Sep 01 2014
02:02:32 PM
Animal lover 51 Glider Visit Animal lover 51's Photo Album Animal lover 51's Journal 51 Posts
It looks like the skeleton of a joey.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders