Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Suggestions when is a good time to retire a breeding pair
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 29 2014
09:34:40 PM
Hello just wondering at what age or after how many joeyies do breeders retire the pair or have the male fixed. A little background ......my female had twin joeyies at age 10 months one was rejected ( very young mom ) it was my first time and didn't realize she would get pregnant that quick , they never made any mating noise . Now at a yr and a half she has a Joey due to be oop in about a week. Today I noticed a small lump so I'm thinking another Joey maybe 1 month ip again I've never heard any mating noises no crabbing nothing so I'm a little shocked that she doesn't mind the mating.

I have made an appt to have my male fixed two reasons I think it's too much for any glider to mate back to back like this . But for future reference I would like to know what is a good age to retire or again after how many joeyies. Sorry for the long story but wanted to be clear on the situation. Thank you in advance for the help.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 30 2014
07:51:40 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Do your gliders have lineage? There is no good reason for them to be allowed to continue breeding if not. Gliders in captivity will breed prolifically, much more-so than they do in the wild. Depending on the breeder and how often they allow a female to be bred I've seen an average between 6-8 years...but, there are many variables that would make that number of years different.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 30 2014
08:47:58 AM
Melina Glider Visit Melina's Photo Album 89 Posts
The pair I have does not that is why I am getting my male fixed . I have added them to the registry to start a lineage aventualy . Right now I am more concerned with the health of my female then breeding . I just don't like the thought if her breeding back to back so quickly. Thank you for the info. If I want to breed in the future I might just let them start at age 3-4 and retire then by age 5-6.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 30 2014
09:23:28 AM
NerdyHails Face Hugger Visit NerdyHails's Photo Album NerdyHails's Journal FL, USA 566 Posts
You cannot just "start" lineage... Did you buy your gliders from a breeder? Ask if they have proper lineage on The Pet Glider and see if you cant trace your gliders... This helps prevent inbreeding/deformities/health issues... Females are ok when getting pregnant back to back but sometimes it is good to give momma a break... my breeding pair has joeys almost every 4 months... so about 3-4 times a year... WHICH IS NORMAL...

If you do not have lineage then it is not worth breeding your glider. I do not mean to be harsh but it would not be wise to breed if they may or may not be related. It is definitely something to look into.. and if you do want to breed it is best that you buy gliders with lineage and check their COI (Coefficient Of Inbreeding) and their kinship charts to make sure they are not related in anyway and that their COI is low...

Some gliders will take a break and not want to have joeys anymore and sometimes you will buy gliders and they will pull joeys/get rid of them because they just don't want to be parents... Its all depending on a glider... you take a chance with every glider you get... they may or may not be ready for adult hood...

Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 30 2014
09:39:19 AM
Melina Glider Visit Melina's Photo Album 89 Posts
I have looked into the whole lineage but again I'm not looking into breeding right now. I know it's normal for them to breed back to back but I'm concerned as what is a healthy age to stop or after how many . My pair now is up to 3 and I'm not sure if my female has a problem with breeding she doesn't seem to mind but I don't want her having anymore. I'm keeping them as a pet only small colony . I'm just getting as much info as possible on breeding .thank you and don't worry I don't your not harsh you are just speaking in the best interest of all gliders

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders