Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Eucalyptus Essential Oils?
Question
Jul 31 2014
12:13:49 AM
Since we know Eucalyptus sap is a main source for gliders in the wild I was wondering if anyone uses eucalyptus essential oils for their gliders? Not necessarily as something included in their diet but maybe a couple drops on toys or on their pouch to sort of mimic something they'd smell in the wild?

Is it something they might like?
Question
Jul 31 2014
08:14:27 AM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
Well, I don't know about this "eucalyptus essential oils" (haven't tried it myself); but I know of lots of people that get eucalyptus branches and leaves from the following website (myself included):

eucproducts.com/

If you want to try putting some eucalyptus branches in their environment, I'd definitively recommend them
Question
Jul 31 2014
11:59:43 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
I'd have to have researched a ton of material on the specific oil before I'd trust it. Essential oils are extracted by different methods, some involving solvents. They are greatly impacted from the natural state opposed to what a glider would consume from the actual plant. The essential oil may either be very strong which could be an eye/mouth/respiratory irritant if not toxic. The oils are also sometimes diluted with other ingredients including other types of plant based oil.

Not having done the research personally, I would think it would be much more safe and less time consuming to just go ahead with an order of the eucalyptus leaves and branches and see how your gliders react. The link in Rusty's post is to a great guy in California. My gliders just don't really care for it. Others react like a cat to catnip.
Question
Aug 01 2014
09:44:39 PM
sunglider Face Hugger Visit sunglider's Photo Album 669 Posts
I would not!! I personally use essential oils. They are natural but you have to realize they are at a concentrated forum and they are formulas that you use for aliments. You would more then likely overdose them by just a drop of oil. It is not work taking a chance.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders