Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
My Sugar Glider Sleeps in his Food Bowl?
Question
Jul 31 2014
04:56:44 PM
I got a single sugar glider a few days ago, and he has been sleeping in his food bowl instead of on of his pouches. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? Thanks!
Question
Jul 31 2014
05:55:35 PM
ZoeGirl Joey Visit ZoeGirl's Photo Album WI, USA 27 Posts
Oh that sounds so sad.... Personally, I begin with washing his pouch make sure there maybe isn't any type smell that disturbs him. I never use any softeners or any item in washer or dryer that would normally make our clothes smell good to us...it may be offensive to them as they are so sensitive to smell.

Also our two gliders like blankie's in there sleep pouches, we cut up several pieces of fleece, oh something like a 4x4 or 5x5 inch square pieces to make the pouch soft and comfortable. They love to tunnel under them.

Another thing our loves that you can do too, it's not meant to be a replacements for sleep pouch, but would be better than his food dish is I have taken a piece of fleece....oh say size of a hand towel, and folded it several times and have put it in the bottom of the cage....our two loves to tunnel between the layers and peek out.

I don't have much except, those things came to my mind. I hope it helps some. Keep me posted.

Question
Aug 01 2014
12:30:54 PM
Emcsquared2 Starting Member Visit Emcsquared2's Photo Album 4 Posts
Thank you! I will try those ideas. After educating myself a little more, I actually acquired 2 more males, so we will see if he is more comfortable with the others being there.
Question
Aug 01 2014
03:33:42 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
I hope you're planning (or that they are already) neutered. You're going to have some issues with a colony of intact males. What are their ages?

Depending on how he was treated prior to you he may not have even been offered pouches, etc. Poor guy. Plus, he's in a bit of stress over being in a new place...and then suddenly having two strangers added in to the mix. That part will take awhile to sort out.

If he is only sleeping in the bowl during the day...remove it. They don't need for the food bowl to be in while they're sleeping...that may prompt him to climb into his pouch.
Question
Aug 02 2014
11:07:52 AM
georgiajen Joey Visit georgiajen's Photo Album 11 Posts
Mine did that for the first couple of days then moved on to pouch but then she switched to sleeping in my shirt that I threw in her cage.
Question
Aug 02 2014
02:06:25 PM
sunRaeTX Glider Visit sunRaeTX's Photo Album sunRaeTX's Journal TX, USA 125 Posts
I have adopted a companion glider for my current glider and have seen him do this once before during the first week of having him. He no longer does it. As long as everything in the cage is clean, I wouldn't be worried. I think that it is very common with young gliders, they'll sleep in anywhere. I also think they like how tight and secure that space is :) Your glider might still be adjusting to its surroundings.
Question
Aug 05 2014
09:58:13 PM
Emcsquared2 Starting Member Visit Emcsquared2's Photo Album 4 Posts
Kilo, Chip, and Dale are all now sleeping in the same pouch and are bonding well with each other and myself. Thank you everyone!
Question
Aug 11 2014
12:04:26 AM
vsJewel Glider Visit vsJewel's Photo Album USA 70 Posts
I remember my first glider slept in her food bowl i think few times when I first got her but it did not last long.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders