Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Need Help!!
Need Help!!
Rescue
Jul 31 2014
10:13:19 PM
Okay so I fairly recently obtained 2 5 month old baby gliders. I've been progressing with bonding with them. Well, I upgraded their cage and had issues transferring their pouch and tent (they are in love with this ferret tent that I got them) to the new cage. Now, they do their scared whine, grab their food and rush into the tent. It's like they're completely afraid of me again!

Would it help if I slept in a t-shirt or if I put something I never wear anymore with my scent on it and let them get comfortable with me? Did I do something wrong? Please help!! I need them back. X_X
Rescue
Aug 01 2014
10:40:13 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
How long have they been in the new cage? It sounds like nothing out of the normal and they should be back to their usual routine in no time. The new cage doesn't have their own scent on it which makes it "home" so I'm sure they're a bit scared and out of what was their element. Placing your scent in isn't a bad idea. But, it is probably not so much an issue with you personally...they're just adjusting.
Rescue
Aug 01 2014
02:16:19 PM
anariri Starting Member 4 Posts
Thank you!

I got them the cage on Wednesday, so it I know they had the adjusting period. They were active last night and they were even a little active this morning as well. I put the shirt I slept in last night in the cage (aside from needing to rescent, I've no intention of wearing it again). They sniffed it, bit and scratched it, then sniffed it some more. I fed them some apples after that and they seem a little better. They've also adjusted to the BML diet. I tried starting that on Wednesday also. Is there anything else I can do to have them trust me more?
Rescue
Aug 01 2014
03:13:46 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Time and patience, my dear. They all come around on their own schedule, provided you are spending quality time with them. Some will bond differently than you expect, I've had super cuddlers and ones that "check in" with me by whispering in my ear and then off they go again.

Just enjoy the process and getting to know their unique personalities!!!
Rescue
Aug 01 2014
10:07:22 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Rather than leaving a piece of clothing in the cage, just cut some pieces of fleece (3 or 4 inch squares are fine) and tuck them in your clothing for a few hours or sleep with them in you pillow case over night. The fleece 'blankies' will hold your scent and can be tucked into your glider's sleeping pouch for them to snuggle with.

Most clothing has overcast seams which have long stitches that can be dangerous for unsupervised gliders if they snag their nails or even a whole toe in the threads.

Some gliders just need a few days to adjust to a new cage. Give them some time to settle in and they will calm down again.
Rescue
Aug 02 2014
10:34:13 AM
My more aggressive one was barking in a squeak voice at me at about 4 this morning, it was the cutest thing ever!

Before and after work, I sit next to the cage and talk to them, even if they're sleeping. When they're awake, I try to hand feed them fruit and let them eat yogurt off of my fingers. Lately, they've been avoiding the fruit part. When they get scared, my voice does calm them down.

I can do that, Candy. Do you have any suggestions to get the shirt out? I'm kind of afraid to just remove it from the cage since it seems as though they're sleeping beneath it.
Information
Aug 02 2014
04:21:27 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Wait until they are awake and active in the cage and just take the shirt out. Be sure the have a fleece sleeping pouch to go to in its place. They just want a cozy dark place to sleep in during the day.
Rescue
Aug 04 2014
11:47:27 AM
I got the shirt out. I put a small fleece square in the opening on their tent. They put it in their pouch and snuggle up with it. I'm going to keep working on bonding with them. Thank you guys so much for all of your help and advice!!
Need Help!!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Need Help!!