Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
HELP, gliders fighting? ?
Question
Jul 31 2014
10:58:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J-awNK2DeE&index=1&list=UU4H9pUUTjj-zfwTFOvQolHA

Please help me, my gliders have been together for almost a year now but at night my male seems to chase her around and scream at her. I sometime separate them just to give her time to rest from all the running.

He only does this at night, when I'm dead asleep, other then that he is fine with her. They sleep together travel in the pouch together but at night he chases her...please help.
Question
Aug 01 2014
08:26:07 AM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
Well, from the video I couldn't discern if your male glider had a bald spot or not. So I guess my first question is: Is your male neutered? If he is not, and she is on heat, he may be trying to mate with her, and then you'd have to prepare yourself for joeys.

If he is neutered, it could be simple play. My gliders chase each other around the cage all the time. What strikes me as odd, is that it started all of the sudden (as I mentioned, my gliders do this, but they've always done it); and the fact that they're crabbing at each other is another strange sign (when mine chase each other, they're just jumping around, not making any vocal noise). I've heard that in some cases gliders start pushing another out when the other is sick, but since you say that he isn't kicking her out of the pouch or having any other weird behavior, then I doubt that is the case. So, I'm back to my first suggestion.
Question
Aug 01 2014
12:30:16 PM
Jackie_Anice Joey Visit Jackie_Anice's Photo Album 26 Posts
He does have his bald spot and neither are neutered. He doesnt push her out of the pouch, when they are in the pouch they are perfectly fine with each other.
Question
Aug 01 2014
01:25:27 PM
Then in all likelihood he is trying to mate with her. If so, they'll be joeys in pouch in approximately 16 days. And you may notice a little lump in you female's abdomen 2 or more weeks thereafter.

I want to stress that if this is the case, you need to be prepare for the incoming joeys. A great website where you can find information about joey rearing and such (besides this forum) is the following:

www.suzsugargliders.com

It sounds like your girl is a little young. This is what Suz has to say about it:

"For her health, it is best if she is not able to breed until she is at least 10-12 months old. Younger females that become impregnated have a higher risk of joey rejection and/or cannibalization"

So you should also prepare for this scenario (more information on the website above)

I am not a breeder, and so I don't have any experience of this sort, I just hope someone more knowledgeable can get in contact with you. But I do know that the diet that a pregnant female needs is different from the regular staple diets (without a good CA income, the female can develop Hind Leg Paralyzes, among other health issues)
Question
Aug 01 2014
01:34:18 PM
I forgot to mention that gliders can become pregnant back to back, even when they have joeys in pouch already. If you don't want to deal with this, is better to have your male neutered as soon as possible.

Having joeys is a blessing, but also a great responsibility (in a sense similar to having human babies since you're the only one that can provide and protect them).

I wish the best of lucks.
Question
Aug 02 2014
12:52:37 AM
Thanks, I had to seperate them again last night. Hopefully they will be done with all of this soon. He hasnt started in on her tonight yet so that seems like a good sign.

How long are females in heat, and how often?
Question
Aug 02 2014
02:57:09 AM
ilovemysuggiegliderbaby Glider Visit ilovemysuggiegliderbaby's Photo Album 90 Posts
Female gliders follow cycles as far as I know just like a woman. Every 28-31 days. Usually on the 29th day. It last around 3 days. I know this because my glider and I have the same monthly and exact same cycle (2-3 days). I am sorry if this grosses you out, but that is how I know.

My glider hisses and she barks in short, little spouts. I can not sleep ever when she is cycling with me. I most times have to move her to my walk-in closet. She is vocal about it, but some aren't.

And male gliders have two genitaliaes. Females have two genitalias and two uteruses. This is why they can have 2-3 babies (3 being abnormal) and also get pregnant again.

The process happens fast. The sperm travels quickly. I, too, would guess that she is in heat and that is why he chases her. Sometimes it may be fun, but the crabbing makes me think that she is in heat, and he is getting agitated with trying to mount her because she won't stay still.

Also, take into account that she may not want joeys, and she may become distressed through pregnancy and birth.

Check her neck for bite marks. Males often bite the female's neck when they mate, and you may need to seek the help of a vet to help her heal or get better. Sometimes the bites can be very deep. Around 4 years of age, your female should/probably will drop in her rate of reproduction.

Joeys are babies, and you may have to deal with "joey rejection." If so, then you may have to hand feed the joeys. Cannibalization if awful to think about, but it does happen. If the joey is crying constantly, has shown signs of bite wounds or worse, then you will need to hand raise it. Feed it. Care for it.

I would suggest neutering your glider male. Joeys would be far more than I could deal with. My joey is 11 weeks, and I just got her. She is a lot to take care of herself.
Question
Aug 02 2014
12:32:43 PM
Just like Ilovemysuggie said, the estrous cycle happens every 28 days, and last 2-3 days. I don't know about it happening on the 29th (for my female, it seems to happen in the middle of the month).

There are a lot of people that don't even notice when their females have gone in heat, since they don't exhibit any change during this period. But then there are some like myself and suggie, who have gliders that would become more vocal and act differently during this time. What many people watch for is the behavior of the male (if the female is housed with a male, that is), since they'd become more aggressive when a female around them is in heat (especially intact males, but sometimes it happens to neutered males as well, they don't always get the memo that they're neutered ).

As suggie said, watch out for your female in case your male has left a bite mark on her. The bite is almost always on the neck, between their shoulders. This is not always the case, but since your female since to be resisting your male could be even more aggressive. If she indeed has a bite mark, you must try to clean it and keep disinfected as best as you can. It'd be best if you took her to the vet as well.

And as I mentioned before, if you don't want and are not prepared to deal with joeys, do try to get your male neutered as soon as possible.

Sorry for the long reply
Question
Aug 02 2014
12:46:38 PM
He does have his bald spot and neither are neutered. He doesnt push her out of the pouch, when they are in the pouch they are perfectly fine with each other.
Question
Aug 02 2014
04:19:11 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
It is likely that when they are in the pouch and 'perfectly fine' with each other that they are mating.

Have your male neutered ASAP - or you may be dealing with this behavior on a monthly basis.

You may already have joeys on the way - educate yourself on breeding in case this is the case.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders