Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
My pet needs a new home
Possible re-homing in Ga/Al and questions!
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 01 2014
04:48:40 PM
I am a new sugar glider owner and am just now getting mine to bond with me. I was planning on getting another one from the lady that sold me mine, but recently I met someone who wants to give hers away to someone who has one already. Hers is three years old, friendly, but has NEVER been with another sugar glider. I told her that I would try pairing ours together, but if it doesn't work I will need to find someone who can take her. I live in Columbus Ga. Also, any suggestions on introducing the two? Should I try to bond with the new one before putting them together? The new one comes with a cage so I thought I would put the cages next to each other to let them see and smell each other. Any and all suggestions appreciated!
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 17 2014
01:33:05 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
Definitely do not put them together cold turkey. I learned the hard way how THAT turns out,and I ended up buying another cage.
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 17 2014
06:20:32 PM
TotesMaGoats Glider Visit TotesMaGoats's Photo Album TotesMaGoats's Journal VA, USA 84 Posts
First you take them to the vets to see if they have any parasites. Then you quarantine them for a month so you will need two cages. During that month you can scent swap. Take their pouches they are sleeping in and swap them and the gliders will get used to each other's scents. I have moved my sugar gliders into the same room now that I'm only waiting on getting the male fixed. They can both see and hear each other and that has them getting familiar with each other.

DO NOT JUST STICK THEM IN A CAGE TOGETHER. That could easily result in fighting due to territory and a new intruder as well as if one of the gliders has a parasite or sickness then you will need to treat both.

But good news if you follow getting a second cage and getting both a health check up as well as the month quarantine and scent swapping and they are both lone gliders. Most of the time the introduction will be successful. In the gliderpedia there is a section on introducing sugar gliders.

Edited by - TotesMaGoats on Aug 17 2014 06:39:49 PM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
My pet needs a new home