GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sugar Glider turning in circles
Question
Aug 10 2014
08:27:29 PM
Hello!
I'm new to the forum, but have had my baby for almost three years now.
A little info about my glider:
Her name is Donna, after Donna Noble from Doctor Who. She's a rescue and, sadly, lost her sister shortly after we got her (We weren't sure how she passed, but RIP Rory, I did my best Baby!). They weren't being taken care of very well and Donna is not hand tamed. We're working on it, but she is a very independent little glider. She fears NOTHING except hands.

My question is:
Donna will run in circles on the top of her cage. She has ropes, sticks (real ones, we brought in from outside!) and a wheel. She LOVES her wheel, oh god. It's like "Dude, stop for a minute and breath why don't you!", but she'll do it all the time.
She mainly does it when she's trying to tell me it's dinner time. She'll crawl out of her pouch (or coconut. she loves her coconut! But I had to toss it because we got Bedbugs. I'm on a fixed income so I've got to wait to get her a new one), scramble to the top of the cage and spin in circles on the top for no reason I can think of. (I looked through some of the previous posts, and it's like the blind little glider from Kovo (sp?) post. Only it's on the top of the cage)

I'm terrified that she's under stimulated or something. Is she crazy? Or am I?
Question
Aug 10 2014
09:05:35 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
Our male does that all the time. He was the least socialized and most neurotic of them all. He's better now, and does that less. We call it his stress circles. I don't know why he does it, but I assume he's stressed about something.
Question
Aug 10 2014
09:26:02 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
The behavior you are describing is often thought to be a sign of stress or boredom.

Is she eating and sleeping as usual?

Try changing or adding some toys and enrichment items for your glider. Even simple things like plastic straws, plastic bracelets (party favors) or monkeys (barrel of monkeys game) on top of the cage for her to pull through and into the cage may give her something interesting and challenging to do.

You can also put her food in several places in the cage so she needs to forage for it.

Has anything else changed in your home that might be causing her stress like the addition of another pet or a change in her cage location? If so, give her some time (a week or so) to adjust to the changes and see if she stops running in circles

If these suggestions do not help, you might consider having her seen by a glider experienced vet to make sure she is healthy.

I am sure other folks will also have some suggestions for you that may help.
Question
Aug 11 2014
10:06:48 PM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
Is it possible to find her a cage mate?

I know you said you are on a fixed income, but I think she really needs a buddy.

When my girl was in quarantine by herself for 30 days she did the loops in her cage(it was a 2' x 2' x 2'small hospital cage) and it was terrible for her to be in that small of a cage.

I did get her a glider safe wheel and that helped a lot but, it was hard on her.

The toys like the monkeys, a ball pit with treats to forage for, and out of cage time can help.

Question
Aug 11 2014
10:10:14 PM
SiriDragon Starting Member 2 Posts
A ball pit with food in it? Hmmm.....

Thanks for the idea guys! I really appreciate it.

I know I need to find her a buddy, but alas, fixed income means no way of saving towards getting her a friend. I'v been keeping my eye out for anyone in town who are giving them up, but again, I have no money to pay for one. I also don't have a car or anything.
Question
Aug 11 2014
10:22:51 PM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
yeah, ball pit with some healthy snacks.

Mine love pine nuts, pepitas(pumpkin seeds hulled) no salt, no oil, almond slivers, Vanilla yoggies, dried pineapple or coconut cubes are all favorites here. I don't give them all at one time. I rotate treats so they don't get nuts too often. I use their Wholesome balance chicken and brown Rice glider pellets as foraging snacks mostly.

I used to put mealies in but one girl would get up early and find them all, so no one else got any.

Since your gal does not have competition...that could work too.

Just keep an eye out for a buddy, sometimes people need to re-home gliders and are willing to not charge for them just to give them a good home. Ya never know...

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders