Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
SUGAR GLIDER HURT PLEASE HELP ME ASAP
Question
Aug 11 2014
02:49:07 PM

this morning I woke up and checked on my glider and his front left paw last nail is barely hanging on by the side!!!! When I move the nail I said his red finger I don't know if it's blood or just his finger... He doesn't mess with it much but i don't know what to do??? Should I use neosporin? Or some other kind of ointment? And what about the nail?? It's barely even connected and he has no control of the nail. It just kinda dangles there.. Should I cut it off? Or wait and see if it falls off? I would like to cut it off so he isn't messing with it when I'm not around but I really do not know what to do so pleaseeeee help!!!

Edited by - Alanotruba99 on Aug 11 2014 02:53:09 PM
Question
Aug 11 2014
02:52:03 PM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
Cornstarch will stop the bleeding (if it is bleeding). Neosporin will help it to not get infected (just wrap it in something so he doesn't lick it). You need to take your glider to the vet ASAP so he can extract the nail, and give more medication to avoid an infection.
Question
Aug 11 2014
02:57:48 PM
He is probably in pain as well. They have nerves running down their nails, when you go to the vet ask him for pain relieve. DO NOT TRY TO TAKE IT OFF YOURSELF, please, you could end up hurting him more. And you shouldn't leave it as it is either, he will try to bite it off if it bothers him too much, and end up self mutilating. He may not be doing so right now, because, as I said, he is probably in pain

Try to figure out where he could have gotten caught and get rid of it. If you have more than one glider, the other is in risk too.

Edited by - rustypossumfart on Aug 11 2014 02:59:51 PM
Question
Aug 11 2014
04:23:25 PM
Also, after going to the vet, if the vet doesn't offer e-collars already (which you will need so he can't reach his hand and hurt himself more), here are instructions on how to make one:

www.sugarglider.com/glidergossip/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=22805

You need the e-collar, not the e-jacket, since the wound is on one of his front paws, and he'll be able to reach it even with an e-jacket on. You may notice he has problems climbing and eating. While you are closely observing him, you can take the e-collar off (just be watchful that he doesn't start chewing on his paw); you can also hand feed him his fruits and veggies, and do leave the staple diet plus more fruits and veggies on the bottom of the cage so he doesn't have problems getting to eat. Check that he doesn't become dehydrated, and that no infection is developing.

For some gliders that e-collar can be very stressful and ends up being counterproductive. You may only leave it off, if you know your glider very well, and are absolutely sure he won't try to mess with he paw (I personally wouldn't recommend it).

Wish you luck, and keep us updated.

Edited by - rustypossumfart on Aug 11 2014 04:24:58 PM
Question
Aug 11 2014
07:09:42 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
Don't try to remove it yourself, DO put a small amount of neosporin on the would. Poor thing probably ripped it on the fleece. If you cannot afford a vet, at least go ask for pain meds for him, if you do have a vet. Metacam is one, but cannot be used long-term, so try to get another. Ideally, the vet can remove the nail. It sucks, but it's more dangerous hanging there because it can get ripped off which will hurt even more. Remember that gliders sometimes chew at places that hurt and cause awful problems!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders