Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
new mom to a two yo female
Question
Aug 11 2014
08:12:12 PM
Hello all. I am recently a new mom to a 2 yo female i adopted from a previous coworker that no longer had the time for her. I've been researching and feel like i am more confused than I was before. It seems like almost every website I have gone on has contradicting information. I am wondering if anyone here can just give me pointer/tips/advice that has worked for them. Some of the major questions I have so far are
1. What is a serving size?? I keep seeing feed a serving of protein and fruit/veggies daily. Well What should the serving size be? I don't want to over feed or under feed.
2. What forms of protein is everyone feeding?
Currently she has the pellets I got from the guy (VitaSmart Complete Nutrition.)
which I leave in cage always and I've been feeding her some of a hardboiled egg last night and about a teaspoon of yogurt tonight. I got her yesterday.
3. Really any advice is greatly appreciated. I have been reading constantly on and off for the last yearish and then the past few days when we really decided to adopt her.
Another question is about the Calcium supplement. The websites ive come across said the Repcal. which i bought. the guy wasn't giving her any supplements. Is that the right kind and about how much would you all say you give your kiddos?

Also, I have seen people talking about "splitting" of the hair. I think hers does that. I don't have a picture so i am not sure but what can I do to fix this?
Sorry for all the questions, I really have researched I just still have so many questions now that she is actually at my house.
Thanks,
Chrystal
Question
Aug 11 2014
08:54:41 PM
Toodles_Jennie Joey Visit Toodles_Jennie's Photo Album Toodles_Jennie's Journal TX, USA 49 Posts
First get her on a good diet. Just giving her a serving of protein/fruit/veggies a day is not suitable for a glider. I use Candy's glider kids version of the BML diet because it's super easy and can get all ingredients locally. The gliderpedia has a list of well known diets to choose from, as long as you stick to one from there or Candy's versions you will be starting on the best foot for your new glider. And diet has to do with the "cracking" of there fur, means there diet isn't a healthy one. Once you switch over you'll notice her fur changing for the better. Also, do you only have one glider because they are extremely social and must have at least one other glider (humans are not a substitute for a glider companion). When I first adopted my two girls the best places I found reliable info is here on the Gliderpedia and on Sun Coasts website, once you do more research you will kind of get a feel of what is absurd.
Question
Aug 11 2014
09:00:05 PM
Toodles_Jennie Joey Visit Toodles_Jennie's Photo Album Toodles_Jennie's Journal TX, USA 49 Posts
www.gliderkids-diet.com/Staple-Recipes.html
This is Candy's versions, I use the leadbeaters one. The reason I use hers is because it allows for more variety of fruits and veggies, matter of fact variety is a key thing.
Besides the staple diet I offer mealies, yogurt drops, unsalted nuts, yogurt and other glider safe treats for bonding.
Question
Aug 11 2014
09:07:33 PM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
1. Well, it depends on the diet, and diet are highly debated, but below you'll find a link to approved diets that have been used for years and gliders have stayed healthy on these diets:

www.sugarglider.com/gliderpedia/index.asp?Diet

Usually the serving is 1 tablespoon of staple, 1 tablespoon of fruits, and 1 tablespoon of veggies per glider.

2. Pellets are generally snack left in the cage during the day in case they happen to wake up and are looking for something to it. Because they are harder it can help keep their teeth clean. That VitaSmart Complete Nutrition seem to be either a rodent or bird pellet, if that is the case, then you should stop feeding those. Most people that feed pellets use 1 of the pellets found on the site below:

www.pet-pro.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=km4an51vloqed950e1vn6tv472

As for the protein, if you choose any of the diets from point 1, it should contain most of the protein they need. People would also feed mealies, yougurt and nuts, as treats on the side. But as TREATS. Until you get on one of the approved diets, you can keep feeding her what you are, some gerbert that doesn't contain onions or garlic would work too.

3. Depending on the diet, you give the calcium supplement separately or it will be part of the staple already.

4. If her fur looks like anything from the pictures in the link below, it could mean she in on a bad diet. Once her diet is improved, so will her health and fur:

www.sugarglider.com/gliderpedia/index.asp?p=BadDietBeforeAndAfterPictures

Again, diet is highly discussed topic, so is entirely up to you what you choose for her. But is good to research. If you happen to have questions about any diet, you post it here, and I am sure someone would have had experience in it and will be able to give you more pointers.
Question
Aug 11 2014
10:36:17 PM
Some extra pointers would be:

1. Get her to an exotic vet that has had experience with gliders. She will need a wellness exam and fecal tests. This will be specially important since you mentioned her fur is cracked, which could mean she hasn't been fed well. You also said her previous owner didn't seem to give her any kind of supplement so her calcium could be low, which could develop into Hind Leg Paralysis.

2. Make sure her cage is an appropriate size, the recommended minimum cage size for Sugar Gliders is 18" deep x 30" wide x 36" tall; that way she can get the space necessary to exercise. Also, does she have a safe wheel? By that I mean, it is not a rodent wheel. Below is a list of safe wheel:

www.sugarglider.com/gliderpedia/index.asp?ExerciseWheels

3. It'd be recommended to get her a companion as soon as you are able to do so. Glider are communal animals and are healthier (mentally and physically) when they are at least in pairs.

Those are just some things to consider
Question
Aug 11 2014
11:08:49 PM
brownie06921 Joey 13 Posts
Thank you all for your quick responses. I will be getting the stuff to make the staple meal and getting her on that starting tomorrow. I was misunderstanding when I was reading. When I saw staple meal I was assuming it was the pellets. Glad I Asked. Again, I appreciate all the help and I am going to do everything in my power to make sure she had the best life possible.
Question
Aug 12 2014
01:14:25 AM
ilovemysuggiegliderbaby Glider Visit ilovemysuggiegliderbaby's Photo Album 90 Posts
1. What is a serving size?? I just started using Candy's diets, too. My gliders love it! I am so thankful to Candy for it because one of my gliders has not been eating well, and I switched to Candy's diet (egg and chicken) a couple nights ago. They love it, and my glider who hasn't been eating well ate all of her food tonight and almost all last night.

2. What forms of protein is everyone feeding?
Keep the pellets for day time stuff! You know, in case she gets hungry. Go by Candy's methods. Just pick one. With the egg, you may be feeding too much which is what I was doing until I saw what Candy does.

3. Really any advice is greatly appreciated. Put a fleece blankie with your scent on it in her pouch. That way she will recognize you more. I put t-shirt on my glider's cages when they are ASLEEP. I remove it at night a few hours before they wake up, and I make sure no seams are available for them to get their nails hung on. Talk to her softly. Hold her in the pouch, and then try real bonding like out of the pouch. Go somewhere that is glider safe. I use my bathroom that has a high glass wall so they can play, but not get out. I remove all soap bottles. Google "glider proof" to see how people can glider proof their rooms. Whether it be bedroom, bathroom, dining room, ect. Make sure all electrical sockets are plugged with a protector or with something in them. Make sure the toilet lid is secure. Make sure the bottom of the door is blocked off. They can squeeze into small places. Put towels or blankets or shirts for added security at the ends of the doors. Have some treats or food, and carry wet wipes when you are going to let her out. She'll probably poop and pee. Best thing is to get a tent. I don't have one so I use my bathroom because it is very secure and safe. Just take your time and be patient. She will probably crab at you sometimes, but they all do. It is just their way of being afraid and protecting themselves, or they do it because they are annoyed. Sometimes they'll do it if they nails get hung. Go on Youtube to see how to trim nails. Preferably, trim her nails when she is bonding greatly/bonded to you so it doesn't traumatize her.

Another question is about the Calcium supplement. Repcal!

Good luck. :) If you have any questions then keep posting. You and I got our first gliders under the same circumstances. I will be reading just to keep up with it!
Question
Aug 12 2014
07:22:47 AM
brownie06921 Joey 13 Posts
Thank you guys soooooooo much!! I am going to do the leadbeaters one...seems like it will be easiest to find the ingredients( most i already have except the baby stuff) and I have NO idea where to get "bee pollen granules". Does anyone know whether I can use Agave nectar in place of honey? Im just asking because that is what we buy if not I have no problem getting honey. If i haven't heard back then i'll just buy the honey. Also I bought the Repcal Calcium with Vit. D3. Can I replace the vitamins she uses in the recipe with that or should I buy them all seperately. I am just trying to figure out if I need to return it or not.

How do you guys serve yours? I see she says must be frozen to retain its quality and since you only use 2 teaspoons do you just freeze it in 2 teaspoon things?? I was thinking when I make it tonight I will freeze it in ice cube trays then I will have them in 2 t things.
Question
Aug 12 2014
07:49:49 AM
You can get bee pollen and honey from critters love (link below):

www.critterlove.com/food--sides.html

This is Peggy Brewer's website, she developed the HPW which is one of the most used diets for sugar gliders and is easy to prepare (you can see on her website she sells it all packaged already, so no worries about adding too much or too little).

Whatever diet you prepare is better to freeze it up. Using an ice tray is a very good idea, because what you can do is feed the individual cubes to a pair (for a single just scoop half). As for the supplements, they are already part of the staple. Below is the link with info about this diet:

www.critterlove.com/diet-info1.html

I heard people saying there are stores where they sell the pollen, but I've never been able to find one. It depends a lot on your location, and the distributor.

Glad to hear you are trying your best for your new fuzzy family. Best of lucks!

Edited by - rustypossumfart on Aug 12 2014 07:53:11 AM
Question
Aug 12 2014
08:14:48 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Welcome!

I think you may be referring to the BML, the original Leadbeaters, while definitely better than the diet she is on, is dated and the BML is very much preferred by many first time glider parents because of the ease of purchasing the ingredients and taking any guess work out of the process.

If BML is what you have chosen, it is a very specific diet in that nothing should be substituted for the ingredients listed. So, the vitamins do need to be as listed...etc.

You're definitely on the right path to getting this little girl turned around. It's sad to see this pattern of folks getting a glider and then realizing they 'have no time' etc. But, then folks like you come along to the rescue!

You may have not been planning for this yet, but I suspect that since you have been reading up on them for a year or so...she will need a glider companion. Regardless of having been alone most of her life, she will have a much better quality of life physically and mentally.

Best of luck to you! Keep us updated!
Question
Aug 12 2014
10:21:34 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
You cannot substitute Agave nectar for Honey in ANY glider staple recipe. It is nutritionally VERY different and does not have the same health benefits of honey.

Agave actually has MORE fructose than High Fructose Corn Syrup.

If you are making BML (Bourbon's Modified Leadbetters) then you do not need Bee Pollen.

If you are using another recipe that calls for Bee Pollen - it can be purchased at most health food or organic food grocery stores near the HONEY.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders