GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Tent Time suggestions for new mom
Question
Aug 16 2014
11:23:51 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm a first time mom of 2 brothers Fred and George. They are rescues I got 2 months ago. George is about 2 and Fred is probably a little over a year. The didn't come from the best of backgrounds and I realized early on that this was going to be an uphill battle. BUT! I am happy (and relieved) to say that we have made some great progress and I haven't needed a Band-aid in 2 weeks! lol

So Tent Time has been met with mixed reviews. They both sleep in the same bag so I just take it out of their cage and bring it in the tent. George will come out tentatively because he knows there are treats involved. If there are no treats to be had he will go back in his bag. But he checks back every few minutes to see if I have found more treats. lol Fred has come out twice. (He is the scaredy cat of the two) Are there any games or toys that you bring in the tent with you to keep them entertained and/or occupied? I spend 60% of tent time talking to a bag or being used as a treat dispenser. lol

Thanks in advance!
Question
Aug 17 2014
12:16:37 AM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
Awww...that is tough! But you are making progress!

Treat dispenser is a very good start because that is how they learn to trust you and that you(and your hands bring good things).

Once they venture out of the pouch...take it and sit on it so they won't run back in and hide. If one still tried to stay in...work him out from the bottom up slowly like squeezing out toothpaste(scoot him out but holding the back of the pouch and squeeze him out).

For toys I bring in a tree house and a ball pit with ping pong balls, some weebles, a feather teaser, and you can hang stuff from the top of your tent for them to climb on.

I have a gengi tent and they are mostly mesh so the gliders like to climb the mesh and jump onto me.

Question
Aug 17 2014
10:38:06 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
what time of day are you doing tent time?

Tent time works best in the evenings when the room is dark and gliders are normally ready to wake up and be active for the night. You can take a laptop or tablet in the tent with you - for entertainment and a little light or have a small TV on in the room to watch and give you just enough light to see where your gliders are in the tent.

Once they come out of their pouch you may need to sit on it - to keep them from going back in until you are ready to take them back to their cage.

This gives the gliders some space to really run around and climb. They will eventually learn to climb on you as well.

Keep the treats handy (you can use some of their fruit from dinner also) to reward them when they come to you.
Question
Aug 17 2014
11:31:52 PM
GryffindorMom Starting Member 4 Posts
Thanks guys! I appreciate the tips!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders