Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
HPW Original Formula
HPW Original Formula
Food, Diet
Aug 16 2014
11:28:50 PM
I was browsing exotic nutrition looking for Instant HPW. I found a HWP thats called original formula and its in a jar and you don't have to mix it. Anyways I was wondering if anyone has tried it? Just want to know if its worth trying!
Thanks!
Food, Diet
Aug 16 2014
11:49:11 PM
LittleHeathens Starting Member Visit LittleHeathens's Photo Album USA 2 Posts
I just ordered it and am introducing it this week. So far my gliders are skeptical of it. One is familiar with the HPW diet but the other is changing over to it from her breeders diet. This is actually the first time I've seen them be picky about any food but it's only the first night using it in the mix. Not sure if it makes a difference but I'm specifically using the variety with added fruit and veggie chunks.

I'm new here but I'll try to remember and keep you posted as I progress with using it. It looked good to me when I opened the jar, but I don't have to eat it so what do I know? :) Hopefully they find it yummy.
Food, Diet
Aug 16 2014
11:54:58 PM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
Nope, I would absolutely skip that.

The in first 12 ingredients...Honey, whole eggs, whey protein concentrate, soy protein concentrate, ground cereals, acacia gum, bee pollen, maltodextrin, dextrose, lysine, methionine, vegetable oils ...are all ingredients I would not want to feed.

The whole eggs if fresh are fine but in this case would have to have the preservatives added. Ground cereals are fillers and vegetable oils have too much Omega-6 and is bad because it causes inflammation(it has to be balanced with Omega-3)and veg oil does not.

If you want to do the Original HPW(super easy and gliders like it and do well on it) you can order the Wombaroo and Bee Pollen from http://www.thepamperedglider.com/supplements.htm

She has the best prices and fast 2-3 day priority shipping.

You add your own eggs and honey(and the bee pollen if you want to get it at a local healthfood store.)and filtered purified water.
Information
Aug 17 2014
11:04:39 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
While many of the ingredients highlighted in bold above are actual ingredients in Wombaroo High Protein Supplement - I am doubtful that the prepared product actually contains Wombaroo High Protein Supplement - since Exotic Nutrition now has their own generic version called Zoo Pro High Protein Supplement.

Acacia Gum - while good for gliders is NOT an ingredient in the Original HPW Recipe.

Other than containing similar ingredient - this product is NOTHING like Original HPW that you would prepare at home using Wombaroo High Protein Supplement.

I would not use or recommend this product. I am concerned about how well it would store refrigerated - before you could use then entire jar. It recommends using within 10 days of opening the jar. A 12 ounce jar contains about 24 TBS so for 2 gliders the jar would last 12 days - I suspect the QUALITY would deteriorate before you get to the bottom of the jar. I do not store leftover food for my self beyond 5 days in the refrigerator. If you have to scoop this stuff out of the jar to freeze it in cubes - I see no advantage.

Would you eat 10 day old egg salad or 10 day old meat loaf from your refrigerator?

quote:
Highest quality ingredients are blended and cooked together

Cooking may reduce the quality of the vitamins in the mixture and in the honey.

It also does not state that it is using natural honey - it may be the Powdered Honey that is also used in Instant HPW which contains preservatives and anti caking ingredients.

Edited by - Candy on Aug 17 2014 11:10:07 AM
Food, Diet
Aug 17 2014
11:11:02 PM
sammy94 Starting Member 7 Posts
Thanks guys! I have some thinking to do before I decide! LittleHeathens I would still love to hear what your gliders thought of it!
Food, Diet
Aug 18 2014
09:01:43 AM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
Candy - I've been doing research on exotic nutrition's HPW and found that the indeed don't use Wombaroo High Protein Supplement. So far, I haven't found any nutritional tables, and while the ingredients are glider safe, not knowing the quantities is worrisome to me.

Personally, if you want to use HPW I would stick to the one Peggy Breuer developed, you can find it in the link below:

www.critterlove.com/food--sides.html

Hope this is helpful
Food, Diet
Aug 18 2014
02:48:00 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
quote:
Personally, if you want to use HPW I would stick to the one Peggy Breuer developed,

I will be sticking with Wombaroo High Protein Supplement because it does have a published nutritional analysis provided by the manufacturer.

Peggy has refused to provide basic information on her HPW Plus and HPW Complete such as the actual amount of calcium and phosphorus, sugars and proteins in the product. Minimum and maximum PERCENTAGES do not give actual amounts. She also does not give the amount of sugars in the powders and that is not included in the minimal required package information. Her products are also made in the USA - which is an advantage because the cost of shipping the product from Australia is not passed on to the customer - but it also means her products are REQUIRED to use Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K3) because, even though it is banned for human consumption, it is the ONLY allowed vitamin K supplement for pet foods made in the US.

Wombaroo High Protein Supplement contains a human grade Vitamin K Supplement because Menadione is banned for pets also in Australia.
Food, Diet
Aug 19 2014
07:56:01 AM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
Thank you, Candy.

I did not know that. I do not feed HPW but know is one of the most recommended diets, and from now on I'll keep that in mind.
HPW Original Formula

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
HPW Original Formula