Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Is my being a night owl affecting my gliders negatively?
Question
Aug 17 2014
01:09:27 AM
Ok so I'm a night owl and in my little apartment there is the bedroom and then there is the rest of the apartment so it's not big, basically 2 rooms. Over this summer I've gone to bed later and later till I don't go to bed until around 2am. I have noticed as I stay up later I think my gliders are staying in bed longer. Now they don't "wake up" until around 1-2am. I've tried a couple different ideas like turning off lights. I also have put them in the bedroom, and closed the door trying to stay in the other room so I'm not affecting their normal sleep patterns. It has not worked so far and they are still sleeping that long. Any other ideas? Could it be possible that my gliders are naturally later to wake up?

P.S. I don't run the TV either so I make very little noise.

Edited by - vsJewel on Aug 17 2014 01:12:00 AM
Question
Aug 17 2014
10:16:23 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Are you also sleeping later and keeping the house (bedroom) dark much of the day?

Gliders need light during normal day light hours and dark after sunset to keep their normal nocturnal sleep schedule.

My gliders will not come out until all the lights are off in their room. They are on a sun porch with windows on 3 walls so they go to sleep a little before sunrise and are usually awake about an hour after sunset.

Question
Aug 18 2014
02:12:31 AM
vsJewel Glider Visit vsJewel's Photo Album USA 70 Posts
hmm i could move them into the living room nearish to windows?
Question
Aug 18 2014
01:20:51 PM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
I too am traditionally a night owl, perhaps up to 4am. And as long as the lights are on they wont come out. They will stay in pouch and interact, groom, cuddle and whatnot, but no exercise. Then I usually feed late and go to bed.

I think I have found that this is not terribly bad but it is also not great. They end up being up and out less as a result.

My thoughts are that sugar gliders should be allowed to wake up naturally, maybe 8 or 9 pm, and they should not be fed until later. This forces them to be up, to scrounge, to exercise and all that. Being hungry is not a bad thing and I think it is actually a motivator for them to be up and active. As soon as their bellies are full they usually go back to bed and then they slowly get fat.

The best way to motivate exercise is to not feed until they have been active for awhile.
Question
Aug 19 2014
02:22:43 AM
squirt1226 Glider Visit squirt1226's Photo Album 90 Posts
We have 3 little girls. Maybe my girls are just weird. We have only had them a couple months now but they are up like clock work at about 8-9pm. Their cage is near a east facing window which provides plenty of natural lighting. I have noticed tho they do not seem concerned if the hallway light accidentally gets left on either or if the TVs on. We plan to move our girls into the living room soon. But they don't seem bothered by lights or noise one bit. I have been feeding them a little later as the last person also said. It just happens to be my schedule but my girls get up early around 8-9 and I work nights and sometimes am not up until 10pm. They don't seem to concerned. I usually find them on their wheels. They now stop playing and seem to watch for me and will greet me now when I feed them. They having shown any signs of aggression and will all eat from the same bowls. There is also always leftovers. I can't say for sure way my girls are like this but they are near a window and are up at dusk and back to bed at dawn. Despite my feeding slightly later.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders