GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Hair Loss on Back??
Hair Loss on Back??
Question
Aug 17 2014
09:16:46 PM
Hi,
I just noticed tonight that one of my gliders has a bald spot on her back. I have a 3 year old boy and 1 year old girl. I got the boy first in January and the girl joined shortly in March. Since then they've been living perfectly fine. I haven't seen any problems, but is he doing this to her or is she doing this to herself? I haven't changed anything about their diet or their cage. Is she stressed or is he hurting her?? Someone help please!
Question
Aug 17 2014
09:45:56 PM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
Do they have a wheel in their cage? If so what kind is it?

If they have a "Wodent or a "Comfort" wheel" they have a center bar and can rub hair off or even catch tails and wrap around it causing terrible injuries.

Is he neutered? He may be trying to mate her and is pulling out her fur or may be over grooming her.

Edited by - Minnesota Zoo on Aug 17 2014 09:46:23 PM
Question
Aug 17 2014
09:52:13 PM
adri_teehee Starting Member 3 Posts
They do have a wheel, but it doesn't have a bar that connects in the middle. The boy has been neutered for about a year, so I don't think he's trying to mate with her.. I don't know what she would be stressed about. I can't think of any major changes that have happened.
Question
Aug 17 2014
11:06:09 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Where on her back is the fur missing?

If it is on the upper back near her should it probably is from mating.

If your male was neutered after he was fully mature he may still try to mate with her when she is in heat even though he is 'shooting blanks'. The males often grip the female on the shoulder when mating which can sometimes pull the hair or even cause an injury that might require vet care.

Be sure to check the area and if there is an open wound a vet would need to check it out.
Question
Aug 18 2014
09:34:20 PM
adri_teehee Starting Member 3 Posts
It is on her upper back, but they've been living together since March, so I don't understand why this would be showing up now and not earlier...
Question
Aug 18 2014
09:49:37 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
If she is just a year old she may just now be maturing enough to be in heat.

Just keep an eye on her, she will probably go into heat monthly and you may hear them making a lot of noise in the pouch if they are mating - they may not eat much on those nights as well.
Hair Loss on Back??

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Hair Loss on Back??