Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Getting a Friend for my Glider
Question
Aug 18 2014
10:38:56 AM
Our Glider will be one year out of pouch in October we bought him in December and he has been by himself since then. We know they are happier in groups and are looking to get another but I am concerned how he may react to sharing after all this time. Has anyone else introduced a new glider to one that has been alone and do you have tips on how to do this safely or at this point is it a bad idea?
Question
Aug 18 2014
12:08:27 PM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
I haven't personally done introductions but I've read a lot about them. I am think to add 1 or 2 gliders some time in the future to my current pair.

In any case, below are links that describe methods of introducing gliders:

thegliderinitiative.webs.com/safe_intro_article.pdf
www.sugarglider.com/gliderpedia/index.asp?Introductions

After you get your new addition, have him/her vet check with fecals in addition. It isn't recommended to try introductions after a period of 30 days or so of quarantine, after which you should have your vet check your new glider again, including the fecals (this is in case that he/she had any parasites, they would have had time to hatch and would appear positive in the fecal test).

After that you can start some of the methods above. Keeping them in the same room, where at the beginning they can't touch each other but can hear and "chat" with each other. Then gradually move the cages closer. Pouch/fleece/toys interchange between the 2 cages. Then taking them to a neutral area for actually presenting each other, always prepare with fleece or gloves to separate them in case they start fighting.

As for how he will act, it depends on his personality. You know him the best, so you may have some indication from how he acts as to how introductions are going. Some gliders are very skittish, and would should reluctance to having a new friend. While some are just so excited about getting a new companion.

Whatever the case is for your gliders, I wish you the best of lucks!
Question
Aug 18 2014
01:09:34 PM
suggiemom02 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit suggiemom02's Photo Album suggiemom02's Journal KY, USA 906 Posts
Ive had to do intros before and they went good. From what ive experienced and heard grom others as well is that lone gliders will adjust very well sense they are social animals. It's a rewarding experience to watch to gliders develop a bond especially when one has been a lone glider for some time.
Question
Aug 18 2014
09:50:36 PM
Katy Starting Member Visit Katy's Photo Album 2 Posts
Thanks this helps, I've read a few articles myself just didn't see anything regarding one who has been alone for so long and since being very young. He is pretty spoiled and knows who in the house will do his bidding. I think a cage mate would be really good for him just don't want to bring one in and have either get injured. I'm thinking of arranging a play date with my friends gliders to see how he does.
Question
Aug 18 2014
10:21:53 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
quote:
arranging a play date with my friends gliders to see how he does

Play dates are NOT a good idea for gliders.

First - introductions take time. When you bring a new glider into your home you need to have a vet check and fecal testing to make sure you are not bringing any parasite issues to your current glider.

After a 30 day quarantine period you would then begin trading toys and sleeping pouches for several days BEFORE allowing a face to face meeting between the two gliders. This is done to gradually get the two gliders used to the other glider's scent.

Without the gradual introduction process - just putting two gliders together and expecting them to get along is VERY RISKY and could result in fighting that could cause either or both gliders to be injured.

If the two gliders did get along at the first introduction is just unfair to then separate them again - For a lonely glider to find a friend just to have it taken away an hour or so later would be very stressful for both gliders.

If your glider and your friend's glider are put together - if either has any parasite issues, you could be spreading a problem between the two gliders. Both gliders should have health checks before being introduced to another glider just as you would if you were introducing two gliders that were going to be permanent cage mates.
Question
Aug 19 2014
08:18:06 AM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
I agree with all that Candy said.

It is way too risky, not just because of the chance of spreading diseases, but also because they could end up balling up in a fight (which can be very difficult to separate) and injuring each other. Some of these wounds can be really serious and take dedication, constant observation, and supplementation of medications to heal them. They tend to go for the neck, and you can imagine how badly that could turn out, specially if one is much bigger than the other, the smallest one will be the most affected.

There are many introductions that go well, some are even called "love at first sight", but whatever the case you need to be very careful when introducing to gliders. Though they are colony animals, they are also very territorial, so it is better to go slowly with introductions.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders