Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Mother of young joeys fur looks awful...
Health related
Aug 19 2014
12:53:05 PM
We have two 2 week old joeys right now. The mom's fur looks awful. We have 6 gliders total and everyone else's is light grey, compact, looks pretty great. Moms has darkened, is cracking, and looks really bad in comparison. It did not look like this before, this is since the joeys came out I think. Is it because they're eating some of her nutrients? She plays like normal and goes on her wheel and jumps all around during play time, and feeds the babies well. It seems to hurt her a lot to feed them. Why does her fur look so bad? It's even kinda brownish, and I know that is a sign of bad diet but everyone eats the same and the rest look fine. We're switching to original hpw as soon as it comes in the mail and there's not much we can do about that. They get a large variety of fruits, veggies, and protein sources each night. I don't think they've been eating as much lately, as there has been leftover food and usually there isn't... (This goes for ALL of them, not just her. They seem to be sick of the smoothie or not like its taste, which we're working on.) Could she be sick? It has been at least 1-2 weeks that her fur has looked like this.

Edited by - astockd1 on Aug 19 2014 12:54:39 PM
Health related
Aug 19 2014
01:02:59 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Pregnancy and nursing definitely takes it's toll. If her nutrition wasn't in premium condition before all of this it will be hard for her body to make up for what it's going through.

Candy's given you quite a bit of advice about the extra needs of the mamas. The coat is related to her overall health and nutrition needs not being met while nursing her babies.

Probably wasn't the best time to be trying to work out and research your own diet plan as it would take awhile to dial in one with trail and unfortunately error. There must be a way to get her back on track. Vet time, even though I know that is scary with joeys and stress. They can give her a sub q boost and may have more suggestions. Best of luck.
Health related
Aug 21 2014
11:31:20 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
We got the original hpw today so will be starting that tomorrow. Hopefully that helps. The others are all doing fine with it, but not momma. She's also turned into a picky eater, which is probably a big part of it. Thanks!
Health related
Aug 21 2014
11:54:05 PM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
I think it may have been mentioned before...but if not...if you are feeding blended smoothies...while there is a variety in the mix, the gliders will taste the same thing every day until you make a new batch which can make gliders picky eaters.

I know I don't like to eat the same thing everyday. If I did that, food would be very boring!

Food should really be an 'enrichment' for captive animals, so anything they can forage for or if they can pick up chunks and carry it off to eat somewhere else like they would in nature. I offer things cut up in different sizes, some things are served cooked til soft like sweet potatoes, apples, peaches and butternut squash. You can put cubes on a skewer (found in the pet bird/food section), place bowls at different heights and hide some of their dinner where they have to forage for it a bit.

So if you can make it fun, different and interesting, you not only are adding activity, you are adding a rotation of nutritional elements.

I feed one fruit and one veggie a nite so I can see who eats what, who likes what and I often find a new fruit, veggie or treat for them to check out.

It's part of the Glider-itis I have...always on the look out for something for the gliders!
Health related
Aug 22 2014
11:06:25 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
It's fun and interesting isn't it? I like the freedom that we have with Priscilla's diet (although others do as well). I loved preparing the "thanksgiving" batch. Turkey, peas, cranberries...etc. etc. Three or so batches are also always in rotation.

I found a great hanging "ear of corn" made of woven corn husks. It is crackly and fun for them and the part that has the woven part that looks like the corn kernels provides a great place to slip in little pieces of veggies or fruit.

Keep those babies guessing!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders