Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Worried about this new sound he makes?
Food, Diet
Aug 29 2014
02:03:21 AM
My glider, as of yesterday, would make this hissing noise while eating. Not like a normal little hiss while pooping or calling a female. This was like a high pitch cry/quick "pst!" Noise. Does he not like his food anymore? It's ONLY when he eats.
Food, Diet
Aug 29 2014
02:06:43 AM
marisa0820 Super Glider Visit marisa0820's Photo Album marisa0820's Journal USA 222 Posts
By the way he only does this a around 4-3am. Which is why I'm even up right now and freaking out
Food, Diet
Aug 29 2014
08:24:50 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
It's good that you recognize that something is different about this sound. They wouldn't communicate a dislike of their food...you would notice him not eating well. He may feel that there is some threat while he is eating, whether your movements or something new, and he is hissing to protect his food/space. As always...if you continue to see symptoms that something is 'off' seek the advice of your glider vet. A change in behavior is often the first sign that he may be having some health issue.

I've noticed other posts from you today and have a few questions related to those. How long have you had this glider? What diet is he eating (related to your comment that he might not 'like' it)?

How long have you had this glider? The fact that you would consider letting him roam free all night with no supervision is concerning. Even the open door policy you mentioned poses a threat if they are not in a glider safe room and you are not actively watching them as you would a human toddler/baby.

You're looking for a joey to be a cage mate for this glider. How old is your current glider? If he is much older and larger you may not be able to put them together for quite some time, even after the quarantine and sent swapping. The size difference often leads to some bonding problems for them.

Food, Diet
Aug 29 2014
01:44:13 PM
marisa0820 Super Glider Visit marisa0820's Photo Album marisa0820's Journal USA 222 Posts
I've had this glider for about 5 months.

He's been on LGRS suggie soup for 4 months.

The open cage policy only applies to my room. Since it is glider-proof and my door cracks are blocked and covered by rugs so he cannot escape.

I am aware that a joey and an adult glider need to be quarantined for a while before they can be together... Which is why I bought more pouches, more toys, and another cage.

Just because I don't put every detail on here doesn't mean I am not aware of possible issues and concerns; nor does it mean I am not taking the responsible steps to prepare for another glider and provide their needs. The questions I ask on here is because I simply don't know about something, cannot find miscellaneous/random info on the internet, want to know personal experiences, and I am willing to learn something new..

I hate to get defensive and seem rude (because I'm far from it...) but I believe I am doing a good job taking care of him and I don't like when people judge my capability to take care of my baby based on some random questions I ask... It's happened a couple of times on here

As far as his noises, the only thing different I gave him were organic fruits rather than the regular publix produce fruits. I am going to switch back to regular fruits and see if he is ok.. otherwise I'm going to have to visit the vet and see what else could be wrong. Hopefully not anything serious Maybe his tooth hurts or something? I'm trying to think of every possible thing that can be wrong with him. It's very stressful

Food, Diet
Aug 29 2014
02:33:18 PM
In forum writing when voice inflection and facial expressions can't be heard/seen, it is difficult to discern the way in which advice and questions come across.

I apologize if you feel that I hammered you with questions and I try not to sound condescending.

It was mostly that I have not been familiar with your story, yet. I just wanted some background information because, as you said, due to lack of other details on the three posts it seemed that each came rapidly together and on completely different subjects. Sometimes that is indicative of someone who needs more help getting started than others.

I think your suggestions of a tooth problem is very valid. My vet has said she has seen a tendency for them to have abscesses. A male rescue that I had came to me with a broken tooth, thankfully it wasn't painful/affecting the nerve and there was no abscess.

I hope you see a change soon instead of finding that he has a problem.

So, he's about 5-6 months old? If so, I think you will be able to have a good chance of pairing him up with a younger glider buddy.

As I mentioned, the fact that you have noticed something different means that you're on top of things in that respect. Good glider parents notice everything! It's also great to hear that you're fully prepared with what you'll need to bring your new baby in properly.

~Glider love
Food, Diet
Aug 29 2014
07:48:40 PM
I understand :) no worries... I know I ask random questions, but they're questions That come up as I experience things with my little guy lol.

I really hope he doesn't have an abscess :( ! This is stressing me.

I'm not even sure the exotic vet can handle my guy... He hates to be picked up. He will claw himself to whatever he can and REFUSE to let go. I don't want to scare him or put him through any fear and make him mean because of this vet visit. This is why I haven't taken him yet :( I know it's selfish and I know it's bad but I'm really scared that he's going to change because of a vet visit.. Like he'll never trust human hands again.
Food, Diet
Aug 29 2014
11:32:41 PM
drummerrip Joey Visit drummerrip's Photo Album IN, USA 24 Posts
Definitely watch out for tooth issues, but if it sounds a bit like a squeak, it may be a happy sound. One of my males sort of squeaks when he chews something he likes (especially mealworms!) The sound is a bit like the low-pitched squeak of an eraser going across a whiteboard with a tiny bit of a short hiss mixed in. Sometimes it's audible across the house, and other times it's softer than a whisper.

I wouldn't worry too much about the vet stressing your glider out and permanently changing his personality. 1) The vet has his or her own smell, and so your glider's fear won't be associated with you as much as it will be with the vet. He may give you the cold shoulder for a night or two, but mine have always forgiven me. :) And 2), if you're getting the full checkup + nail trim, and it's difficult for your vet to handle your boy, they may just use a gaseous anesthesia. (Which will reduce the stress level for both your pet and the vet). I know this may sound a little bit scary, but I watched mine go from completely unconscious to wide awake in about 5 seconds after the tiny mask was moved, so no worries. :) Last but not least, 3) gliders are like kids; they'll do everything they can to convince you to spoil them, but as a parent, it's your responsibility to keep their best interests in mind, even if it means dealing with a tantrum in the short-term. :)

Best of luck and hope this helped!
Food, Diet
Aug 30 2014
10:35:50 AM
Tantrums! Oh, yes. I had my girls at the vet yesterday for well check and nails. The woman at the front counter came back into our room because she had never seen a glider and was shocked at how loud they can be!

They weren't at all happy and Lisle got her teeth into one of the techs, but I asked them to leave me along in the room for a few minutes after all was done. I settled them in their pouch, talked to them and they finally accepted a couple mealies. Once the nom noms and clicking started we were ready to go.

Sometimes we have to be the strong ones to do what is in their best interest.
Food, Diet
Aug 31 2014
03:19:38 AM
Oh that is hilarious! Gliders really are spoiled little tantrum throwing brats and I LOVE IT! :)

I hate to seem like the overly freaking out glider parent (even though I totally am) but this noise was different than a "mealie time" squeak, trust me he constantly makes me aware that he is lovin his food! :)

Just as an update... I gave him whole foods organic fruits and veggies again and he did the noise again and threw the fruits everywhere he could. Last night I went out and bought him some regular fruits from publix with all the crap they inject and spray into them and what a brat... He ate the whole thing without a fuss and as I type this he is chirping away during the nom nom session... I guess gliders can show their pickiness too just like a human! These creatures amaze me every day. But my little guy is ok now :)

The vet thing still makes me nervous though :'( I plan to take him on Tuesday for a general check up and nail trim. Hopefully I just do it and not get scared last minute and turn back home.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders