Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Joeys handling question
Joeys handling question
Health related
Aug 29 2014
12:57:43 PM
Hey guys. My female glider just had a pair of gliders. I believe they're twin males.
It's been about a week OOP.

I read people should begin handling joeys as soon as their OOP. Question is. How?
I took the pouch out the cage and placed a big towel on the bottom of the cage so they wouldn't fall by accident.

I've been able to grab the joeys a few times for like maybe a minute or so. They sort of awkwardly walk around my hand and fingers before crying and momma and papa run to their aid.
I hear they get cold really fast so I'm afraid to have them in my hand for so long. Or is there a specific way to hold them?
Also, would the mom reject the joeys if I hold them for too long? Is there a proper way to handle recently OOP joeys?

My room is at 71-73 degrees all the time.

While I'm in the topic or rejection. I have the joeys in the towel as I mentioned before. Mom goes out to run while dad stays. However sometimes dad doesn't pay attention. Like this morning he was taking care of one joey but the other one (still in the towel and not too far) was like in a different fold of the towel. It's a bath towel so I fold it and they just go in it somewhere in the middle. I suppose since it's still technically the nest it's ok? Or must they on dad to be considered ok?

I've also seen both parents leave the joeys behind for a while while they run or eat. Maybe for 5-10mins. That's when I grab them for a few to play with them.
At first they would almost try to bite me to get them back if they heard them cry but now they're not rushing back if they cry once but will take them and lick them if I give them back.( they still come if they cry but they aren't nearly as worried looking as before.. the baby needs to fuss more for them to come and see what's up) Is this normal? Should i be worried?
I heard mom nursing last night. (Almost all night mind you. She "sings" really loud lol)
The babies look bigger and furrier so I guess that's a good sign.

Edited by - elweshomayor on Aug 29 2014 01:09:02 PM
Health related
Aug 29 2014
05:41:07 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
I would personally keep the bedroom at 75 degrees or higher because if a joey did get left out of the pouch by accident or on purpose it will get cold fast. Joeys at that age are probably fine for about 15-20 mins before they get cold but it isn't an exact science. You should hold the joeys for a few minutes. You can just let them explore your hands, they won't be very good at walking for a few weeks. They will grow fast, and soon they won't cry nearly as much. Get them used to your hands, touch, scent, voice, et cetera. The parents will not reject the joeys because you touch them. Once the joeys cry and mom comes running, joey time is over for you. It may be only a minute or two, that is fine. It will increase as they get older.

I would remove the towel. The babies must both be physically touching an adult for warmth because they cannot keep themselves warm. If both parents leave one or both joeys alone for 5-10 minutes that is perfectly fine. Just watch to make sure it doesn't go past that. You want to remove any hiding places other than the pouch. You can have toys like vines, wheel, but nothing like tunnels or extra pouches. We lost a joey because mom went to a different nest and the joey died of hypothermia. We remove everything pouch-like or with multiple areas they can hide in. That's why I would remove the towel; if the dad can go to another part of the towel and leave one or both joeys alone, it isn't good. That's just how we do it because there is a risk of joeys getting left alone.

When the joey cries and a parent comes up, looks at/sniffs/licks the joey and leaves again, they are checking on them. It happens a LOT with ours. Especially if it's a short cry. If the baby continues to cry the parent will come back and get them. As they joeys get older the parents may become slightly less responsive to their cries, as they aren't quite as fragile/needy. I would definitely say it's normal. We have 3 week oop babies and everything you've said is happening to us too, and our babies are big and healthy. We also have two little boys.
Health related
Aug 29 2014
07:19:43 PM
elweshomayor Glider Visit elweshomayor's Photo Album 70 Posts
So should I put their regular pouch with a little fleece over it on the ground instead? I was using the towel because i thought it be warmer.
Information
Aug 29 2014
09:01:37 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
They will be just fine in their regular pouch hung on the side of the cage. If it makes YOU feel better you can put a fleece hammock under the pouch but the parents can manage the joeys just fine in a regular sleeping pouch.

I would absolutely remove the towel. Towels generally have loops of thread that can be very hazardous for gliders, They can easily get their nails stuck in the loops of thread on the towel which can injure or break a toe or even rip a nail out of the glider's toe.

Fleece is the safest fabric to use for gliders.
Health related
Aug 29 2014
11:45:25 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
Just hang the pouch upright on the side of the cage like normal. They do just fine that way. Small joeys usually don't leave the pouch, and when they do they usually cling well to mom. You could put fleece on the floor of the cage if you want but it wouldn't really break their fall that much anyways, I don't think! I keep the pouch as low to the ground as I can but still hanging. Gliders like to be hanging, but low means if babies fall it's a short distance.
Joeys handling question

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Joeys handling question