Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Cotton candy GRAPES?!?
Cotton candy GRAPES?!?
Food, Diet
Sep 08 2014
08:36:03 PM
Hi guys! I recently bought these cool grapes that taste like cotton candy. It's weird... They really do taste like cotton candy!! I obviously bought them for myself, but meiko keeps staring at me while I eat :( would they be safe,?
Food, Diet
Sep 08 2014
08:46:09 PM
marisa0820 Super Glider Visit marisa0820's Photo Album marisa0820's Journal USA 222 Posts
Well I did more research and there's nothing artificial about these. All it is, is a crossbreed between 2 grape species that just so happen to taste like cotton candy. I'm sure it's safe then. Let me know what you guys think?
Food, Diet
Sep 08 2014
09:34:43 PM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
Grapes (and raisins)are debatable due to them causing kidney failure in dogs, so many choose not to feed them.

Vets are still not sure why they are toxic and they think it may be linked to the tannins in the skins of the grapes and the darker the skin the more toxic or they think it could be the mycotoxins on the grapes that may cause it.

It is one of the recommended fruits in the Rotation of fruits in the BML diet.

At any rate...I would do some more research on it if you want and see if you want to feed them or not.

Edited by - Minnesota Zoo on Sep 08 2014 09:50:39 PM
Food, Diet
Sep 09 2014
07:56:12 AM
marisa0820 Super Glider Visit marisa0820's Photo Album marisa0820's Journal USA 222 Posts
My guy LOVES regular grapes so I don't see why not I wasn't aware they're toxic though? Maybe the seeds? Meiko has been fine! No signs of illness or anything weird and he eats them all the time!
Food, Diet
Sep 10 2014
12:40:44 AM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
Well, it's not the seeds, because seedless grapes have also caused liver failure in dogs.

Like I said in the post above...this is in dogs, and some have said that grapes have caused glider deaths.

I have looked and have not found any thing that confirms it with solid proof like a necropsy of a glider(s)death due to grapes, but I am not going to risk it, when there so many other safe fruit options for them, so I just skip them.

Edited by - Minnesota Zoo on Sep 10 2014 12:42:35 AM
Cotton candy GRAPES?!?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Cotton candy GRAPES?!?