Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
My new glider eats A LOT...
Food, Diet
Sep 08 2014
09:25:16 PM
I recently got a new glider and I am surprised by how fast and how much she eats! From the moment we brought her home and set some food out for her, she began eating and didn't stop til her plate was clean within half an hour (didn't even think twice about the new environment). We've been spreading out her meals now as often as we can by feeding her small portions every hour or so while we're awake and leaving her with a bit when we go to sleep and then giving her a little bit more when we wake up before she goes to sleep. Now that we have introduced her to my other male glider, we have to feed them seperately in different cages because she will finish her food in one sitting and continue to eat my male's food since he's a more sporadic eater until there is NOTHING LEFT. And I swear it's like she wants and will eat more.

Any advice as to how I can manage their two eating habits better? I am also concerned about her health since she wants to eat more than a regular portion for her age. She's only aprox 4-5 months and on the HPW diet eating pretty much a tablespoon of each mixed fruits, veggies, and the HPW. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks! (:
Food, Diet
Sep 08 2014
10:55:58 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
As she matures and reaches her adult size her appetite will probably level off.

My young gliders ate a lot more than the adult gliders do.

Which HPW are you feeding. Many folks have observed that some gliders will eat excessive amounts of the HPW Complete and still be looking for more.

You might try another staple for your glider to see if she is more satisfied.

You can also feed MORE vegetables for her to munch on over night.
Food, Diet
Sep 09 2014
12:26:08 AM
mallory_em4 Glider Visit mallory_em4's Photo Album 88 Posts
I would also suggest looking at what exactly you feed her. Sometimes if gliders are not fed a well balanced diet they could feel starved of certain nutrients no matter how much they have actually eaten.

Also saying that she is growing could be what it is.. I mean that's something that all species including humans can go through when they're growing.

What's her current diet?
Food, Diet
Sep 15 2014
08:00:07 PM
gliders_pinkyandfloyd Starting Member Visit gliders_pinkyandfloyd's Photo Album 9 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by gliders_pinkyandfloyd
Any advice as to how I can manage their two eating habits better? I am also concerned about her health since she wants to eat more than a regular portion for her age. She's only aprox 4-5 months and on the HPW diet eating pretty much a tablespoon of each mixed fruits, veggies, and the HPW. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks! (:

Food, Diet
Sep 15 2014
08:12:24 PM
MamaBird Face Hugger GliderMap Visit MamaBird's Photo Album USA 438 Posts
Which HPW are you feeding? Where did you buy it from?

It makes a difference.
Food, Diet
Sep 15 2014
08:13:37 PM
gliders_pinkyandfloyd Starting Member Visit gliders_pinkyandfloyd's Photo Album 9 Posts
Complete I bought along with her from the breeder.
Food, Diet
Sep 15 2014
08:48:38 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
There have been a number of owners that have reported that their gliders eat HPW Complete in large quantities as if they never quite seem satisfied.

You might try either HPW Plus or Original HPW to see if it makes any difference in your glider's eating habits.

It may be that the powdered honey or powdered eggs just are not as satisfying as Natural Honey and fresh eggs used in the HPW Plus or Original HPW.

There are other widely used feeding plans you might also consider. I have links on my web page along with information on my own GliderKids Feeding plan to help you locate the information on other widely used diets.

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com/Staple-Recipes.html

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders