Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
noise
noise
Question
Sep 09 2014
08:23:11 AM
I have a 6 month old female standard. Yesterday we purchased a white face male probably 10 weeks old. We put him in the cage last night they seem to be doing OK. There getting in the same pouch and going to sleep. I have noticed the male when he is like standing in the cage he makes a crabbing noise and hissing noise together. Does anyone know what this means or why he is doing it. The reason I'm asking my female never did it. Just curious. Hope someone can answer. Thank you.
Question
Sep 09 2014
09:15:43 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Well, they are strangers to each other. Also you've got a size/age difference that isn't very well in his favor. You're also a stranger to him and he is in new and scary surroundings. This is very stressful for him as he needs time to adjust to his new home.

The standard protocol for bringing a new glider into a home with established gliders is to quarantine first! This is for health reasons as well as bonding issues with your first glider. The new glider needs to be in a separate cage. He will need to have a vet check that will screen for parasites. The vet can give you a treatment if he is positive. Even if negative he will need a second check for parasites at the end of the 30 day period. If all is clear at that time you will be able to begin introductions.

Introductions are done by doing 'scent swapping'. You can take extra scraps of fleece that have been in either cage and switch them so that the gliders can get used to the smell of each other. This can also be done by pouch swapping. After a few days to a week of scent swapping you can begin the face to face introductions in a neutral territory such as your tent or play time area. When all goes well with them playing together they can then be put together in the same cage and watched carefully to make sure that they are bonding well and not fighting.

If you don't want joey's on your hands you'll need to have your male neutered, but you have a couple months before that needs to be done.
Question
Sep 09 2014
09:21:56 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Welcome to glider parenthood and to the forum.

You were VERY lucky that your gliders did not injure each other being put together without any gradual introduction to each other's scent.

Gliders use a long hiss followed by a short bark to call other gliders - this may be what you are hearing.

The hiss/crabbing may just be your young glider calling out for his former cagemates - which may have been his parents and siblings. He is probably very confused finding himself suddenly living with with a STRANGE (to him) glider.

If they are sleeping together with no issues they will probably be fine together though.

It is recommended that you have both gliders checked by a glider experienced vet for a well check-up and have fecal testing done to make sure that NEITHER has any parasite issues. A follow up fecal testing 30 days after the first is recommended as well because parasites show up in cycles and can be missed with a single test. If EITHER glider tests positive for parasites both gliders will need to be treated since they are already cage mates. (many vets will combine pooh specimens from both glider and do ONE test since all will need treatment anyway.
Information
Sep 09 2014
09:24:12 AM
Blue and I were replying at the same time again!

Since they are already in the same cage, there is no point to separating them or doing quarantine at this point.
Question
Sep 09 2014
09:36:56 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
True...I wasn't completely sure on if they'd been together a short enough amount of time...but it does say yesterday now that I look back and that they've been in the pouch together sleeping.

Though we seem to be on the same time schedule lately, Candy's advice ALWAYS supersedes mine!!!!
Question
Sep 09 2014
01:08:39 PM
littlez4k Glider Visit littlez4k's Photo Album 57 Posts
Thank you guys so much for the response. Im gong to get then checked and I'm also probably gonna get him neutured to be honest. Thank you so much.
Question
Sep 09 2014
01:39:37 PM
Which wheel would you guys recommend the stealth or the raptor and where is the best place to purchase them. Thank you hope to hear from you.
Question
Sep 09 2014
01:46:14 PM
The stealth and raptor are very similar and both glider safe. The main difference is they have different bearings.

Here are the links to the web sites (and a few other glider safe wheels as well)

Stealth Wheel http://atticworx.com/
Fast Track Wheel http://www.go-fast-track.com/spinzone.html
Raptor Wheel http://www.mygliderwheelsandmore.com/
Custom Cruiser Wheel http://customchoicecruiser.all4gliders.com/
H-Wheel http://www.humbertossugargliders.com/hwheelv2.0.html

Question
Sep 10 2014
02:22:42 PM
Does anyone have any discount for raptor or stealth wheels or like promo codes please let me know thank you or does anyone have some they would to sell hope to hear from someone
noise

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
noise