Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Hard belly , bigger than usual?
Question
Sep 10 2014
10:41:33 AM
Lately I been asking questions about genetics and breeding but all aside I think my glider may be pregnant. All of a sudden she looks really full. Her belly is wide and fluffy, I'm sure it's nothing bad though because she is still really active and runs in her wheel. I looked at her pouch as she climbed up the cage but I couldn't see her pouch hole. So then I put my hand in the cage and she climbed onto me. Her belly feels really solid, hard, & firm and I am of course scared to puncture her belly. Anybody that has had babies before, are these the signs of a pregnant belly? It also looks like it's hanging or heavy and carrying something.
Question
Sep 10 2014
12:09:34 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
How long have you noticed this 'hardness'? Usually when the joey/s move into the pouch at birth they are very tiny and you would not be able to see anything visually prior to the actual birth (even the birth itself is a rare siting). As they put on a little size in pouch, you will see more of a distinct bump, or two with twins.

If this hardness has come on rather suddenly, I am feeling that there might possibly be something other to consider, such as constipation? Have you noticed normal bowel movements, and her actions (hissing, problems when going) that accompany this?
Information
Sep 10 2014
02:39:52 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
You may want to read this article from Suz' web page on breeding:

http://www.suzsugargliders.com/breedingsugargliders.htm#72999066

There are some photos of females carrying joeys in the article.

First - gliders are pregnant only 16 days before giving birth to very tiny underdeveloped joeys that must crawl into her pouch and latch onto a nipple where they will remain for about 10 weeks.

You really will not notice a huge change in her belly during the first 3-4 weeks she is carrying joeys in pouch and it is only in the last couple weeks when the female really begins to look HUGE.

If there are joeys large enough for her to look huge you should be able to see their movements inside the pouch and if there are 2 joeys they will appear as two pretty distinctly separate lumps on either side of her pouch - although the may sometimes shift so they are both on one side and she will look totally lop-sided.

If you feel her belly do so very gently - if a joey is dislodged from the nipple too early it cannot reattach and will die.

If you are not positive that what you are seeing and feeling is actually joeys - your glider needs to be seen by a vet ASAP. An intestinal blockage or other internal problems could also make her appear full.
Question
Sep 10 2014
05:57:43 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
It's possible, but has she been pooping? It sounds like it could be constipation, which is deadly if untreated. I would take her to the vet so that you know for sure it isn't constipation, and then you can find out if she is pregnant and adjust her diet accordingly. I advise never feeling the belly of a glider who may be pregnant, as small joeys are easily moved and will die if they become unattached from her nipple.
Question
Sep 11 2014
12:08:54 AM
damsal Glider Visit damsal's Photo Album USA 85 Posts
Her belly isn't super hard like a rock it's just full. I didn't squeeze her or anything I just felt her bigger while she was in my hands . I had noticed plenty weeks back that she looked fat I thought it was the mealies. When I said ask of a sudden it's just new to me because I never really took it as sign or anything since I've never had experience with pregnant gliders. She's looked this way for about 2 weeks or so.
Her bowel movements normal not soggy but not hard it's firm as usual. No hissing (constipation) trust me my gliders are spoiled with a variety of juices.
I haven't seen any movement in the belly. Lacey has been pretty chill, a little on the lazy side for the couple weeks I'd say but sometimes she just feels like she wants to be active in her wheel and go at it for hours. It kind of makes scared when she jump all over the cage though because all I think about is her being pregnant and hurting the babies or something bad happening.
Also I do want to mention her belly looks closed our sealed shut. Or maybe it's just the angle I'm looking at it but is this what you'll mean when you'll say don't pull her belly apart? Because it's preserving something?
Question
Sep 11 2014
09:33:48 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
"Pulling apart" was in reference to advising not to try to look into the pouch if that was your intention. The pouch opening is a vertical slit in the females abdomen. Check out the website in Candy's post for information on the process of glider breeding, check out some website regarding their anatomy and how their incredible little bodies work.

If this is not a case of joey's in pouch...and not a sudden issue such as intestinal blockage...the fact that you may have been noticing a more gradual change could in fact be that she is gaining weight. You mentioned wondering if it was from her mealies, that she has been sometimes less active, etc. Do you have a scale to monitor her weight?

Diet and vet care are two of the most asked about and advised issue here. Check out the diets in the gliderpedia if you haven't done so and consider the diet that you are offering. If this is in check and you feel that her weight is within a normal range don't hesitate to go ahead and take your glider to a vet when you feel something is abnormal and doesn't seem to have a reasonable explanation that you can find.

Best of luck...keep us updated as this is curious.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders