Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Please help! Gliders got into a fight and hurt
Health related
Sep 10 2014
08:20:16 PM
I was slowly incorporating my 4 males with my 2 females.

All male gliders are neutered.

Everything was going great. I put the last most dominant male in the cage in the day before yesterday and didn't seem to have problems.

I checked everyone before I went to class this morning, they were all sleeping in the same pouch I was happy to see them getting along.
Then when I got back from class I checked again.
My WFB was running on his wheel.
No one was in the usual pouch.
One of my females, Chipi, was alone in another pouch and it became obvious right away she was hurt. Her face was swollen and her right eye was half shut and some fur was ripped up by her eye.
I immediately take her out to examine her for other injuries, even counting all her toes. Then I put her in a bonding pouch.

I look around the cage to find the other males bundled up in the fleece at the bottom of the cage.
I find my other female in the ballpit crabbing. (She usually crabs when she's in her favorite spots and doesn't want me to move her so I couldn't tell if she was scared or being silly) so I took her out and checked her out and she was fine.
No one else is injured

Chipi smells like urine.

I don't know what to do. I just moved out if my parents' home to go to college so I have no money in my name from the big move and tuition.
I just started a job and not expecting any paychecks or my student loan leftovers until next month.
I don't have a car yet so I can't drive.

I don't know what to do I'm so ready to cry because I feel responsible for her injuries. I'm so scared for her.

Is there anything I should do for her or need her to help her feel more comfortable?
I'm definitely removing the problem males from the cage.

I'm going to search around to see if I can find anyone willing to give me a loan to see a vet and take a taxi

If this had happened 3 weeks from now I would've been able to take her in immediately. But with my luck and stupidity and lack of preparedness it happened when I'm least able to do anything

Edited by - Pandepon on Sep 10 2014 08:26:29 PM
Health related
Sep 10 2014
08:30:17 PM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
oh no, that is awful! poor baby (and poor Mom).

Most vets now take "Care Credit" and it is easy to get approved and also will not charge you interest if you pay it off in 6 months(smaller bills) to 1 year for larger bills.

Call your vet asap. She at least needs to get on antibiotics. Glider bites get infected very quickly!
Health related
Sep 11 2014
07:58:32 AM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
I am so sorry for your gliders and you.

Do you have any quickderm or neosporin at hand? Until you can get her to the vet, it will be good if you could apply some, but since it is so close to the eye, I am not sure how safe it will be. Also be watchful in case she tries to groom it and ends up making it worse. You may be able to make her an e-collar to help prevent this, here are instructions on how to make one:

www.sugarglider.com/glidergossip/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=22805

I hope you are able to take her to the vet very soon. As Minnesota Zoo said, there are more vets now that take credit care.

Also, I know it is hard, but try not to be angry with your boys. It is just their instinct, and there are always risks with introductions.

I just hope everything will be fine with your babies.

Best of lucks
Health related
Sep 11 2014
01:09:29 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
Apply for care credit. My glider vet takes it. It's great and you can apply online in the vet's office and know if you're approved within minutes, the whole process literally just takes minutes. You can do it now and see. Put neosporin on all her injuries twice a day. Not a big glob but just enough to cover the wound. The poor glider =( You could just apply antibiotics and see how she is in a few days. If she's getting better she may not need a vet, for all you know the vet may simply give her antibiotics and charge $100 you don't have. But who knows? If wounds are her only injuries you can try neosporin twice a day for a few days. If it gets worse you need to take her in. If her eye itself is injured, or any toes are partially ripped off or anything that cannot easily heal itself like a cut can, she probably needs to see a vet. Watch very closely to make sure she isn't chewing at her wounds because when a glider is in pain they will often try to get rid of the pain by eating it (or whatever it is they're thinking). I would see if a vet can give you some pain medicine without an exam maybe... it's such a tiny amount for a glider, I can't imagine they could think of you having and bad intentions with it. Gliders get a single drop as a dose! So maybe a vet would do that for you... Good luck. If you happen to be around Kansas City I have some pain medicine she could use... :P

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders