Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Not eating and travel food help
Food, Diet
Sep 14 2014
04:40:33 PM
Hi I have been noticing for a week 3/4 of my gliders cages seem to be slowing down on the staple diet, fruits, and veggies. In the fist cage we have two males they use to eat about two ice cubes a night of the BML and all of the fruits and veggies in their bowl. Now I see they only eat half of the fruits and veggies and maybe half of the ice cube of BML. One of my males like to randomly bark in the middle of the night until I get up to see him. I reach in pet him and give him a yogurt drop and he's quit the rest of the night. I noticed only the one who barks stays out all night the other one stays in his pouch. Then I have a cage with two girls who use to eat a cube and a half each night of BML and at least 3/4 of fruits and veggies each night. Neither female comes out and stays out all night. One does have finally paralysis and I know she doesn't want to move to often. But the other female has always been super active always running on the wheel gliding around, but now she just stays in her pouch. The third cage has Winnie my lone 5 year old female she use to eat half a tsp or more of an ice cube now she looks like she's just scooping a handful or two of it. She would eat all of her fruits and veggies but now she only eats a few. I have noticed in these three cages activity has slowed down after I noticed they stopped eating. I am thinking about switching to HPW, does anyone think this will help?

Also we are moving soon and it will take us four days to get home, I have four travel cages three 2x2 and one 1x1. We are staying in truck stops on the way to our new home. I am bringing a cooler to keep food cold does anyone have an idea of what I could feed them on the way? I will not feed pellets! And my gliders will not eat cat or baby food.

Thanks!
Food, Diet
Sep 14 2014
07:55:38 PM
newby Face Hugger Visit newby's Photo Album 527 Posts
I know diets are controversial but I personally have been feeding HPW Complete for 4 years with no issues. It also makes for a great travel diet since you can make it fresh every day.
Food, Diet
Sep 14 2014
08:22:47 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
There was an extremely bright full moon last week - that will sometimes throw gliders off their usual eating and sleeping routines.

Your males may also be reacting to one or more of the females being in heat. Even if they are neutered the girls may be distracting them.

The females may not be eating as much when they are in heat either.

Another possibility is that they are just reacting to your stress of getting things ready to move.

HPW Complete is a practical way to feed them on the road since it can be prepared adding water only and made up just for the night so you won't need to keep it cold.

If you are going to change their diet, I would wait until after you get settled in your new home if you want to use a feeding plan other than HPW Complete. Try not to change too much in your glider's lives until they have settled into their new home.
Food, Diet
Sep 14 2014
08:59:08 PM
LexiGlider Glider Visit LexiGlider's Photo Album IL, USA 58 Posts
Do you think maybe the jar HPW would be ok if kept in a cooler? Or maybe just boiling some eggs and feeding a whole egg to two gliders and a half of an egg to one. With added apples, and cucumbers?
Food, Diet
Sep 14 2014
09:31:26 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
I am not sure I would use the jar HPW at any time, much less when traveling and you cannot be positive it is kept cold enough to prevent spoiling.

Just offering apples, and cucumbers with ANY staple is not adequate nutrition for your gliders. They need a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. You can safely keep grapes, fresh green beans, sugar snap peas, and baby carrots on ice. You can buy cups of cut up melon at many grocery stores that could also be stored on ice.

Cooked egg would be OK for a few days until you get to your new home and can prepare a batch of their staple. You can also offer plain baby chicken or turkey.

Food, Diet
Sep 14 2014
11:48:55 PM
LexiGlider Glider Visit LexiGlider's Photo Album IL, USA 58 Posts
Thank you! I will have to see I may switch the diet soon but it is possible that I have one pregnant glider that will be giving birth next Thursday or Friday. I am worried about switching her diet but I am also worried about her eating habits.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders