Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Best age to adopt a sugar glider
Question
Sep 16 2014
05:30:59 PM
Hello! I just got all of my supplies and will be making some glider food tonight all in time to pick up sugar gliders tomorrow.
I have a few options for gliders I could adopt. One set if six month and the other is four months.
I had heard that the best age to adopt is between 7-12 weeks but I see people adopting them at all ages.
This will be my first pair so I don't know if a certain age would be easier for a starter glider mama.

Thank you for any advice you can give me!
Question
Sep 16 2014
08:40:25 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
ANY age =) Every gliders deserves a chance, and every glider is equally likely to bond with you. An older glider who has previously bonded with another human may have a less strong bond with a new human at first, but it is still possible to re-create it. 7 weeks is far too young for a joey to leave their mother, so I would hope you aren't seeing 7 week old joeys available! It may be possible that younger gliders are easier to adjust to because they learn quick and adapt to you better, but I don't know for sure. All gliders are awesome! Good luck.

Edited by - astockd1 on Sep 16 2014 08:41:08 PM
Question
Sep 16 2014
09:50:11 PM
AschRose Joey 11 Posts
Awesome. I wasn't sure because you hear so many different things about gliders so I needed to cut through the crap and learn the real truth from real owners. Thank you very much for the help!

Asch
Question
Sep 17 2014
10:07:07 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Keep us posted on the set you decide on. All gliders are different with unique personalities...it will be difficult to see that right away while you're choosing but you might get a 'feeling'. Due to these different personalities it's been said that 'sometimes' getting them as young joeys makes it easier to bond but it isn't a hard and fast rule. Older gliders that were mistreated or neglected can be a challenge for certain...but, nothing is impossible with patience and love!

Post some pictures once they've settled in!
Question
Sep 17 2014
10:44:52 AM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
As everyone else had said: gliders have each their own personalities. But bonding is mostly up to you, you have to get to know them and their unique traits, and work with each. Patience is key there.

Age can make a difference in the sense that they have already bonded before, this could be positive or negative. Positive because then they would be used to human contact. Negative, because depending on the glider, they could be more defensive in bonding with another; but this depends on the glider as I said. My breeders run a rescue as well, they've dealt with gliders from all kind of backgrounds: very well cared for gliders, neglected gliders, mistreated gliders, and anything in between. But it is hard to tell how things will turn out at the end. Some of these gliders have become permanent residents at their home due to either health issues or personalities issues (though rare, there are gliders that will always be aggressive towards humans). But I've also seen cases where neglected, mistreated gliders are just hungry for affection and bonding goes extraordinarily well for the adopting family. While I've also seen cases of joeys that are just too stress and are harder to bond with.

Anyways, I don't know what procedure the people you are adopting your gliders from follow; but in the case of my breeders, they like meeting prospect owners and ask them tones of questions. They do this in order, not only to verify that you will make a good home for your new family additions, but to learn what is it that you know and educate you in the areas you are lacking. The other reason is to pair you up as best as they can. My breeders handle their gliders a lot, and get to know their personalities well enough to be able to match you with what they believe will be good gliders according to your needs and preferences. They will introduce you to some gliders they believe is your best match and let you interact with them, they don't even make you take them immediately, they encourage you to continue visiting them until you are sure of which gliders you wish to adopt.

In my particular case, I had originally gone to them looking for Black Beauties (I just love the dark marks on gliders, that's why I wanted BB). In any case, after my first visit with them, they concluded that for me joeys would be best (being my first time owning gliders, and due to my limitations, they wanted me to have the best experience with joeys they had raised themselves). To make the story short, after presenting me with several joeys, at the very end they brought 2 caramel twins, and said they thought these were the best match for me. What can I say? I immediately fell in love with the fellas, and after several more visits (when I met them they were only 6 weeks OOP, and I didn't adopt them until they were almost 10 weeks OOP), we finally brought them home with us, and they've been together with us since.

It is my opinion that this is the best way for adopting. It is never good to rush things, specially when it involves other living creatures. It is best to take your time and weight your options.

Sorry for the long post.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders