Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
introductions are going pretty well (I think)
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 17 2014
10:39:29 PM
So my male and female have been going through introduction for a while. Tonight they are actually having a long amount of time together. I think they are doing great together! They have little spats where they are rolling around on the floor making "psst" noises a lot and swat at each other a few times... but they usually break up after a bit. They are actually sharing food and toys really nicely.

I'm guessing the little swatting and spats is just them really getting to know each other. it was really bad earlier in the night but has cooled off as the night is going on. (they are not going to be staying in the same cage yet)

I am really hoping these are all good and normal signs!
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 18 2014
07:52:51 AM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
If they are balling up, you need to separate them because one glider could injure the other. I don't know if swatting at each other is good sign either, but as long as you are nearby and ready to separate in case they ball up in a fight, I guess it should be fine. And I would agree in not putting together in a cage as of yet, wait until they are no signs of aggression (i.e. the swatting).

The psst noise is usually a glider telling another to back off, is not done with aggressively, but among gliders that are just being introduced it could be the first signs that they may start fighting. Just be very watchful. And good luck!
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 18 2014
09:40:45 AM
TotesMaGoats Glider Visit TotesMaGoats's Photo Album TotesMaGoats's Journal VA, USA 84 Posts
Thanks Rusty! I am right next to them when they are out together. And I have had to separate them from time to time. And when I do that a lot of people have said that you will get bit pretty hard since they were biting to hurt. But whenever I have intervened I get very light bites... From both gliders (and my female bites HARD most of the time) so I took it more as testing the waters between the two. Is that how they figure out who is alpha? Or do they do that in a different way?Here is the two of them together I hope my little link for the picture worked. They do play and explore both together and separate. And he seems upset whenever she runs around my room without him (he is too scared to leave his cage. He will only climb in me, my lamp pole by his cage, and around his cage. He freaks out everywhere else)

I don't know... I hope I am doing everything right for their meeting. I guess it just takes time. I will try to get a video of them when they are out so people can tell me what I'm doing wrong and what I should be doing more of and such.

Edited by - TotesMaGoats on Sep 18 2014 09:51:03 AM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders