Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
HELP! My male died leaving behind my female and two newly oop joeys
Question
Sep 18 2014
09:05:43 AM
My dog attacked my male glider (Prada) yesterday !! I brought him to the vet but he didn't make it through the day :( I'm heart broken. :(
I'm main concern now is my female. She has two joeys with her now, 2days oop. With Prada gone will she be too lonely? Will she be stressed up?? What should I do!!!!??!? Will she abandon the babies or cannibalise them?

She isn't fully bonded to me as I adopted them from a precious owner who couldn't take care of them anymore a few months back.
And this isn't her first pregnancy. It's her 4th. She's been a great mom all these while but that was when she had Prada. I'm soooo worried now!!!!!

HELP!
Question
Sep 18 2014
09:21:16 AM
marisa0820 Super Glider Visit marisa0820's Photo Album marisa0820's Journal USA 222 Posts
Oh no poor baby! I am not experienced with joeys and depression in gliders, however, I just want to say I'm really sorry you had to experience this and I am so sad to hear about this

I'm sure you'll get an answer asap. When you are ready in the future, maybe consider another female glider? This will prevent any paranoia about cannibalism and rejection of future joeys in case something like this were to ever happen again...

R.I.P. little one
Question
Sep 18 2014
09:58:33 AM
Joannietay Joey Visit Joannietay's Photo Album 11 Posts
Thank you babe. I'm feeling depressed myself. I cried buckets just now. And now I'm soooo worried about my female. I duno what to do. #128557;#128557;#128557;
Question
Sep 18 2014
10:01:44 AM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
You need to prepare in case she rejects the joeys. This site has great information in how to do so:

www.suzsugargliders.com/

Like us, gliders will mourn their partners, and they can get stressed out. All of this could lead to joey rejection so start getting everything ready. For feeding you will need the joey formula you can find here:

www.suzsugargliders.com/joey-formula

Joeys get cold really easily, so you need to keep it in your person as much as possible, except when sleeping or bathing. For this occasions you will need an incubator, if you read below, you will find how to make one:

www.suzsugargliders.com/handraisingajoey.htm

You can find most of what you will need here:

www.suzsugargliders.com/joeysupplies.htm

Even with all of these supplements, being only 2 days OOP, if rejected your joeys may not make it; so prepare yourself emotionally. Even if they do, hand raising a joey is not easy, it will require most of your time and you will lose sleep, since they required feeding around the clock. The are incapable is peeing or pooping by themselves, so you will need to stimulate them as well, and you need to be constantly checking for dehydration.

I hope mamma glider does not reject them, but is a very likely possibility, the best you can do is prepare yourself with all the needed supplies, and brace yourself in case of loss.

Wish you luck.
Question
Sep 18 2014
10:08:34 AM
Will it be ok if I bring introduce back one of the members of the colonies? I gave A pair away as 4 of them was too much for me to handle. Will it be a good option? She won't be very lonely in that case right?

Helppppp!
Question
Sep 18 2014
11:15:31 AM
Trying to do introductions now will only put more stress on her, and make it more likely for her to reject the joey. Not to mention that, even if the new gliders had been together before, you would still need to go through a quarantine period of 30 or so days before try to start introductions; this is to avoid transmitting any diseases, specially in the case of the joey.

The best you can do is prepare for joey rejection, and if the joey makes it through, then he/she will be the new companion to your female. If you still wish to introduce another glider to them, and the joey is still alive, you will need to wait until he/she has grown to a similar size to that of the new glider you want to introduce; otherwise, it becomes too risky to try introductions, since your joey won't be able to defend itself as well in case of a fight.

The other reason you don't want to introduce a new glider right now is because, since the glider is not related to the joey (meaning it is not the joey's parent) the new glider could try to cannibalize the joey.

Again, read the links I sent you and try to prepare yourself as best as possible.
Question
Sep 21 2014
01:01:36 AM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
That is extremely tough. Losing the male will be very stressful for her, and having to raise two joeys alone and have no adult companions will also be very stressful. It is possible the joeys will not live, so try to prepare for it just in case, but it's also very possible that she will do fine by herself. I don't know. I'm so sorry that happened, I don't know what I would do. Good luck... Make sure she's getting plenty of protein, and try to give her AS MUCH playtime as POSSIBLE every night.
Question
Sep 21 2014
08:59:20 AM
BCChins Super Glider 219 Posts
I am sorry for your loss.

She might reject as other said. You will need to help her take care of them. She will need you to babysit/hold the Joey's while she goes out and eats at night. You can take them for about 5 minutes at a time for the first week then increase the time from there. Do this several times during the night. You can also offer her the food dish when she is in the pouch. I would place the food dish very close to the pouch so she does not have to go far to eat at night.

You are her new companion and she will need your help. Good Luck
Keep us posted on how it is going and we can alter how things are done as you go along.
Question
Sep 21 2014
11:14:35 AM
She isn't fully bonded to me tho.. So I dunno if she trusts me to hold the babies.. I mean she doesn't crab at me when I do and stuff. But I dunno. She was playing a lot last night tho. And I try to keep the babies warm by placing a hot water bottle beside the pouch when she goes out to eat.
Question
Sep 21 2014
07:31:42 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Joannietay

She isn't fully bonded to me tho.. So I dunno if she trusts me to hold the babies.. I mean she doesn't crab at me when I do and stuff. But I dunno. She was playing a lot last night tho. And I try to keep the babies warm by placing a hot water bottle beside the pouch when she goes out to eat.

Bonding level doesn't matter that much as far as holding the babies. A total stranger can hold them and the parents don't do anything- until the babies cry. A warm water bottle can be useful but joeys CAN overheat, so do not make it HOT. It can feel slightly warm but if it's too hot it may do harm. If you are able to hold them, being up against your skin is perfect because it is warm to them but not too hot. It is easy to get a joey to fall asleep on you, just cup them in your hands and stay still. Joeys sleep a lot. You are the safest heater for them other than momma. :3
Question
Sep 22 2014
08:08:03 AM
You are the best natural incubator for them. When mom is playing try to hold them (wrap them in fleece like a burrito ), in front of her; if the babies cry and momma comes to get them, hand them to her (if she comes almost immediately after they start crying, this is a good sign that she is not intending to reject them; on the other hand, if they cry and momma just ignores them, it could be taken as a sign of her possibly rejecting them).

The reason you may not want to use the bottle of hot water is because, 1 they could overheat, and 2 joeys can become dehydrated very easily. To check for dehydration do what we call a tent test:

Pinch (softly) the skin between their shoulders, if it goes back down immediately, they are well hydrated; if it stays up (tented), they are dehydrated, if that is the case, you could offer they joey some unflavored pedialyte with a syringe, or similar (just wet its lips, it should try to lick it; do not feed it directly into their mouths, they could drown).

Hope this is helpful.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders