GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
My gliders are not getting along...
Behavior
Sep 20 2014
09:08:24 PM
Hi!
I finally got a neutered boy to accompany my girl in July. After quarantine, vet check ups, scent swapping and play dates, my babies still cannot be left alone unsupervised. They will sleep together perfectly but they cannot peacefully live amongst eachother in the same cage. During tent time they keep a fair distance apart from eachother which confuses me because when they are in the same cage together they do not act this way. When they are in the same cage together they just eat, chase eachother and fight :(
It starts off as hissing a little but they do end up balling up together to where I have to break them up somehow. I have noticed that this is usually caused by my boy holding on to my girl (kind of like joeys do with their parents, but I'm not really sure what he is doing), this gets my girl upset and that's how they start fighting 90% of the time.
My boy is not very bonded to me yet, but my girl is.. I have their cages close together most of the time, but I do at least let them sleep together..

I am asking if anyone knows whats going on with them? or if anyone has any advice on what else I can do. I am aware that some gliders never get along ever, and though it is still very early on, this seems kind of like that case because my girl was alone for 4 whole months.. I've even tried switching gliders to eachothers cage (when I realized scent swapping was no longer doing too much) but they don't seem to like eachother still, so I doubt this is a territorial issue.. or is it?

Comments would be appreciated :)
Behavior
Sep 20 2014
09:14:32 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Do they seem to be fighting over food? Sometimes it helps to put several food dishes in the cage is different locations so neither glider can prevent the other from eating.

Another consideration may be that the female may be in heat and the male is hanging on to her as part of mating. Even neutered males will try to mate especially if they were fully mature before being neutered.

Behavior
Sep 20 2014
09:25:53 PM
sunRaeTX Glider Visit sunRaeTX's Photo Album sunRaeTX's Journal TX, USA 125 Posts
Hi Candy
I thought it might be food, but I have 3 food bowls available for them. Sometimes it looks like they prefer to share.. But I never see them fight while theyre eating.
I am thinking it might be the mating idea :/

Is there anything I can do to help them? Like during tent time? I offer treats as soon as they are in the same cage or in the tent so they can kind of get the idea that together is good..
I dont have a bonding pouch big enough for the two of them.. Should I get one for them? I know Jill have a double sided buddy bag.

Edited by - sunRaeTX on Sep 20 2014 09:27:55 PM
Behavior
Sep 21 2014
10:39:11 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
If they sleep together, they should be find in a bonding pouch together. In any even you would be directly able to observe their behavior and intervene if necessary. Most bonding pouches will hold two sleeping gliders. Do get a larger bonding pouch if yours is really too small for two gliders to sleep comfortably.

If she is in heat, they should calm down in a couple days - but may have issues again each month when she is again in heat.

Be sure your 3 dishes are are in different locations in the cage - high, low or on opposite sides - not close enough for one glider to chase the other from two dishes at one time.

Another thought - if it is food related, put the same foods in each dish.

I only serve mixed vegetables once a week. I do have one glider that believes "Corn - all mine" and she will chase the others away from the dinner plate until she has hogged all the corn she wants. Sometimes is may be one food that a glider wants all to his/her self. If that seems to be the case, skip that food for several nights to see, or make sure some of it is in every dish.
Behavior
Sep 22 2014
03:03:36 PM
TotesMaGoats Glider Visit TotesMaGoats's Photo Album TotesMaGoats's Journal VA, USA 84 Posts
I am in the exact same predicament. My male and female will fight during play time. And like yours it doesn't seem to be because of food (They actually share food together and I have 2 bowls for them) My only guesses are they don't like each other or they are trying to establish an alpha role between the two.

I'm not 100% sure if two gliders (fixed male and female) will fight for being alpha. But personality wise that is what mine seem to do... (and also from having lots of other animals myself when a new animal comes in there will be spats and showing of dominance)

Do get a large enough bonding pouch for both to sleep in like Candy said. My two will sleep together all day with each other with no problems and then when night comes I have noticed that they are fighting a little less. They still fight but it isn't as bad as it has been since i started getting them to sleep with each other. So that might still take a little time for them to get used to each other.
Behavior
Sep 22 2014
05:12:07 PM
sunRaeTX Glider Visit sunRaeTX's Photo Album sunRaeTX's Journal TX, USA 125 Posts
Candy, I am getting right to it and am shopping for a nice pouch for them online. Wow, it's nice that you are that conscious of your gliders' behaviors. The corn loving glider sounds very interesting. Thank you for sharing :)

TotesMaGoats, yes I believe I was speaking with you on IG about our similar situation. I am happy you are seeing an improvement :) I hope my situation will lighten up as well.

Thank you both. I will be sure to update after a few months or so :)

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders