Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Needing help and advice
Needing help and advice
Behavior
Sep 20 2014
10:59:51 PM
Ok here goes. I have recently adopted a sugar glider. A friend found him in her yard along with his deceased mother, so I know that he had no mother. I got him last night and have kept him in a larger container with lots of clothes to snuggle in. He would not take food, and by the research I've done, I'm guessing he's about 4 weeks out of pouch. He has fur, eyes open, maybe 3 inches long from head to base of tail. I have been giving him a mixture of pedialyte and puppy replacement milk. He has gotten far more active in the 24 hours I have had him. I have also spent as much time as I can with him holding him and he enjoys riding on my shoulder wrapped in my hair. When I agreed to take him, I was under the impression that he was a flying squirrel, in which case I was planning on rehabilitating him and releasing it. However when I got there I realized he was a sugar glider. I know that he needs a companion so once he gets a little bigger I will be finding him one. Until then he will be my constant companion. I have gotten him a bonding pouch ordered to keep him with me at school. This is my first ever sugar glider, so any help and input would be appreciated, as I'm already very attached to him and he seems to be a little attached to me as well. Thank you for your time!
Behavior
Sep 21 2014
12:16:27 AM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
Oh my god!!! That is kinda insane. That poor thing and its poor mother, I wonder what happened. Okay, so pedialyte and puppy replacement milk is great. At 4 weeks he'll only drink. In a week or two he will begin to taste solid foods, but all of his milestones may take longer without a mom to watch and follow. Wow. You can message me if you want my number so that we can text if you have any questions, that way I can answer quickly. You should check frequently to make sure he is warm; joeys cannot make body heat. This really depends on how old it really is. At 4 weeks I would say he still needs to be exposed to heat occasionally to warm up, but can retain the heat for awhile.

These are pictures of our joeys, who are 5 weeks old right now. I'm going to post them underneath the age as a heading so that you can match it up with yours as best you can. The younger the joey is the more work you'll have to do, because younger ones cannot stay warm alone. He should not FEEL warm, as their body temp is slightly below ours, but if he feels cool at all he needs to be warmed up. Being up against your skin is fine. Never sleep with a sugar glider because you could accidentally crush it in your sleep.

4 weeks old:

Edited by - astockd1 on Sep 21 2014 12:17:36 AM
Behavior
Sep 21 2014
12:34:55 AM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
I really hope he is 4 weeks or older, because then his chances of survival are pretty good. Here is the rest of that age "chart" for you.

Newborn:

A week old:

Under 2 weeks old:

2 weeks old:

3 weeks old:

Behavior
Sep 21 2014
10:28:45 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
ctkanpp - Please post a photo of your little guy so we can help you make sure it is indeed a sugar glider.

Other wise our advice on what to feed him may be totally incorrect. Sugar Gliders and Flying Squirrels do look remarkably similar even though their species are so very different.

Behavior
Sep 21 2014
11:38:44 AM
ctknapp Starting Member 2 Posts
Ok, so I had a friend of my boyfriend's who is a vet come take a look at the little guy and he is in fact a flying squirrel. I was going on what I was told about him when I got him. I feel kinda silly now for not doing more research on both. Good news is I have been doing everything he needs, although he has a clubbed foot so most likely won't do good in the wild. I really appreciate all the help though!
Behavior
Sep 21 2014
12:13:31 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Don't feel bad, many folks that have 'found' sugar gliders - especially outside - have later discovered their new furry friend was a Flying Squirrel. That is why I asked.

I understand they make wonderful pets also, especially if the little guy cannot be released into the wild because of his foot.

Good luck. Here is a forum that may help you connect to folks that are more familiar with flying squirrels to help you.

http://nfsa.us/index.php
Behavior
Sep 21 2014
01:34:50 PM
Kailey0317 Glider Visit Kailey0317's Photo Album 69 Posts
Oh yes I have a friend who has flying squirrels as pets! Some even are what you in this community would call bra babies haha!:)
Needing help and advice

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Needing help and advice