Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Pricing for sugar gliders? Should I rehome?
Question
Sep 23 2014
02:42:33 AM
I am moving a day and a half away from where I live now. I don't know what to do about my babies. I don't know if I should rehome them, keep them, and I don't know what price I should choose if I do rehome or who I should pick. Has anyone that is reading this rehomed suggies before or thought about it?

My partner has cats which I worry about if I decide to keep Mia and Mimzy. Mimzy is bonded to me now mostly, but Mia is not. I am going to be on the road for 3-4 days moving there, and I don't want to stress my babies out. I also do not want to put them into an environment that I'm unsure of. I do not know if the other animals (our cats) will be good with them.

If I do rehome them, they have so many toys, cleaning products, puppy pads, ect. I bought Mia for $150, Mimzy for $200, and then I bought their stuff, toys, and products. I refuse to sell them separately even though they aren't a bonded pair yet. They know one another, and they recognize each other's scents. I want to place them around a price of $400-$450 with both of their cages, pouches, toys, water bottles, puppy pads, cleaning products, ect. Is this an acceptable price?

Should I just move them there and see if it works out? I love Mimzy so much. I like Mia, but she is a baby still and I am so fed up with her crabbing most of the time whenever I grab her in her pouch. She doesn't bite. She just crabs, but it is annoying. Please help me!
Question
Sep 23 2014
06:31:12 AM
NerdyHails Face Hugger Visit NerdyHails's Photo Album NerdyHails's Journal FL, USA 566 Posts
How long have you kept them separate? Are they going through quarantine?

You can set the price to what you want but for a pair of "non" bonded gliders it isn't going to be that price you listed.... People are going to have to work on getting these gliders to bond with each other and with the new owner...

Moving or getting new owners will stress them out regardless because it is change... They will not be used to the smells, sounds, and what not of their new environment...

If you do want to re-home you need to think about who you want to send them away with... Understand that some people are not as honest as you think.... I have re-homed rescues i have received after they were cleared and healthy.... As well as I am a small breeder... So i am constantly trying to "weed" out the good from the bad... Its hard but possible...

I cant tell you what to do but i can tell you what i would do... I would keep them and get them bonded... Make cat stay away at all times... From the sounds of it you need to work more with Mia... Even tho she is young... you can work more and more with her and that will help with crabbing... Everytime you greet her do it with a treat... So that when she sees/smells you she will think of yummy treats and associate you with that happy memory... *Remember to never YELL at your gliders or get super mad at them because they can read/feel our emotions and it changes their attitudes too....*

What do you do now with the cat? Has the cat been with you before? Regardless you need to watch the cat and the gliders because one accident and someone is in deep trouble... :(
Question
Sep 23 2014
08:11:45 AM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
I agree with Nerdy.

If you are going to rehome them, is better if they are bonded to each other already, it is hard for anyone (the gliders included) to have to deal with 2 cages, have to bond to 2 gliders separately, and then to have to work on bonding them (not taking into account the stress it will create for both gliders). Besides that, finding a good home is another issue. My breeders sometimes take weeks doing so. They ask multitude of questions, ask the possible owners to come visit (they like meeting them in person, anyone can say whatever through the phone, but in person you can see their mannerisms), ask them to look for a vet in advance and provide them with the info, etc, etc. At the end it is your decision, but I believe all of this helps.

If you choose to keep them, a glider can usually travel fine during the day as long as you keep water and some food source with them, and stop at night. Is it possible for you to fly them there instead? Whatever horror stories are out there about flying gliders are not really that common, gliders are shipped everywhere, and considering the amount of time it will take to fly them vs drive them there, it is my opinion that flying them is better. If you are not sure on how to do this, you can consult here in the forum (I am sure there's people that has done it).

As Nerdy said, you must make sure the cats don't come near them at all. If they stay with you, though everything else changes, you are a constant and can actually help in not stressing them as much.

As I've said, in the end it is your decision what you choose to do. We can only provide recommendations.
Question
Sep 23 2014
09:00:15 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
It's an unfortunate situation but, I think in asking these questions of yourself and the community...you're forming your own decision which seems to lean toward re-homing them. The last thing I would personally consider would be setting a price which I think speaks volumes toward where you are in your own thought process. You haven't had these girls long and have been working with getting things right, from what I remember of previous posts. Being "fed up" and "annoyed" with any animal seems to suggest that you aren't quite in the frame of mind of thinking of the situation from the animals perspective. Humans often want to personify the actions of an animal into something that it's not. Animals don't have the capacity to hate, to feel guilt...the particular actions that Mia shows are fear as well as picking up on the 'vibes' from your exasperation with her (as Hails said).

You do have a lot to think over. However, I agree with the ladies above, either way they are going to be stressed...and so will you with such a big move. Above all it will have to come down to you making a choice of what is the absolute best situation for the gliders...because they don't get to speak for themselves.

Nothing is carved in stone...I was just commenting on the few things you said in your post that seemed to say you were fairly set on re-homing. Maybe you just need to take a step back and really search your heart to find if you are in fact in this for the long term, 8-15 years, or if you can no longer commit to that. I don't envy you having to make such a difficult decision.
Question
Sep 23 2014
09:21:01 AM
NerdyHails Face Hugger Visit NerdyHails's Photo Album NerdyHails's Journal FL, USA 566 Posts
Another thing that i forgot to mention is that you "refuse to sell them separate".... but you are keeping them separate.... why is that?

Question
Sep 23 2014
10:38:32 AM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
My opinion is that you should keep them together and with you. Transitioning into a new home is one of the most stressful things for a glider. Think about it; the baby isn't even fully adjusted to you yet. She would have to restart the entire process with a new family and it may be ever harder. Gliders who are jumped between homes tend to become less social and less happy. We had a "problem glider" who was in 3 homes by age 9 months. He came to us extremely antisocial, crabby, lunging, aggressive, scared of everything, we called him neurotic. Now he is all but hand tamed; he's a great dad, doesn't ever try to hurt us, will climb all over us during play time and take food from us. CONSISTENCY is how to win with gliders- and how to make them happier. The other is bonded to you; why would you break that bond if you don't absolutely have to? Leaving someone they are bonded to is probably THE most stressful thing for a glider. Gliders should only be rehomed if absolutely necessary or if they aren't getting a good life where they are, I think. If you're worried about the move stressing them out, is 4 days of moving better than weeks to months of adjusting to new people? If it helps, we moved across the country with our gliders. It was a 3 day road trip. They did fine. It will take a couple days for them to get used to the new home but if you are there if helps a lot because they are familiar with you, and your scent is still there; the move isn't that bad for them, it happens. They will be fine with love and consideration. As far as cats, that would worry be too but a lot of people have cats and gliders. I would keep any doors on the cage clipped shut so that a cat cannot open them. I would keep them in separate rooms, and be extra careful to not let the gliders escape and such. It is doable. Good luck!

Edited by - astockd1 on Sep 23 2014 10:41:02 AM
Question
Sep 23 2014
11:14:30 AM
LexiGlider Glider Visit LexiGlider's Photo Album IL, USA 58 Posts
I don't see why you need to rehome them for any reason I mean if you're going to have cats in the house I just suggest maybe getting garden mesh and putting it on the around the cage and the cat can't sit there and put its paws in the cage and swipe at the gliders. Buy a cage lock I know I saw plenty of those on Amazon. If not try using zip ties even and possibly just keep the cat in a different room then the gliders. If they are in your bedroom then just keep the door shut at all times keep the room cat free. My gliders and I are traveling about 20 hours back home and they're coming with me and we're going to be living in a house with three cats but I don't see a reason to sell them. But that's me I know we don't see a problem with that because we just are going to use safety procedures. I think it be worse if you just rehome them to be honest
Question
Sep 23 2014
06:31:03 PM
TotesMaGoats Glider Visit TotesMaGoats's Photo Album TotesMaGoats's Journal VA, USA 84 Posts
Yeah I think rehoming would be a little tough. Especially since they aren't bonded yet.

I also have 3 cats. Two can be in my room while the gliders are in their cage and awake. But one cat is never allowed in my room unless he is being supervised. (I have a parakeet. So the third cat is always trying to get either the parakeet or gliders) the two oldest cats are very calm and pay no mind to them. But they are never allowed in when the gliders are out.

When I first brought my female home I had all my animals already and I didn't know how they would react to having another animal around. I don't think having cats around is going to stress them out that much? And it is very possible to have gliders and cats. It depends on where you are going to keep their cage too I guess. Just supervise and when you aren't home I would keep the door closed where the gliders are. Just incase if they got out they will stay in the room their cage is in.

But selling a non bonded pair would be very hard... Especially if you are going to find really good glider parents who are willing to work with the two to make sure they bond together and all... That is just my opinion...
Question
Sep 23 2014
09:00:37 PM
ilovemysuggiegliderbaby Glider Visit ilovemysuggiegliderbaby's Photo Album 90 Posts
Mia and Mimzy are separated because Mia tried to attack Mimzy in the introduction so I put them in a longer quarantine. They were doing fine but then Mia started chasing her around making this weird angry sound that is similar to crabbing.

Mimzy is bonded to me fairly well. Mia isn't at all.

Also, Bluenostalgia, I've had Mimzy for 2 years. Maybe more than that. Mia is my new arrival, but she is taking much longer to bond with because she is such a baby.

Also... we have 8 cats. Not one or two. Eight. That is why I am worried because I've never lived with them, they've never been around or seen Mimzy and Mia, and they attack birds outside so I am worried for my babies' safety.

We don't have room where we are moving to keep them separated. The gliders will be in our room, and the cats are used to being in that room because I am moving into my fiance's little house.

Lexiglider, I thought about the mesh and I think if I choose to keep them that I will do that.

I just don't know how this is going to work because I am going to be busy 24/7 now, and I am not going to have any time for them. I really don't want to rehome Mimzy. At all. She's such a sweetheart. I don't know what to do about Mia. It is so hard having two different cages because Mia just doesn't understand that Mimzy is gentle and sweet. If I did rehome Mia then I would want her to be with someone who is patient and knows what to do. Someone who is calm because I am not. I feel like I am not cut out anymore to be a suggie owner. It may just be the stress talking because I am moving so far in such little time, but I am frustrated with everything. I want to ensure their safety, and living with eight cats isn't safe. And no, my fiance doesn't want to get rid of the cats. We negotiated giving a cat or two to our family, but that still is a lot of cats.
Question
Sep 24 2014
08:02:54 AM
It sounds like to me that you are not ready to take the move with these two gliders.... *No offense but that is what you are coming off as...*

Mia is "Such a baby"... Are you working harder to bond with her? Or not alot because she is "annoying"?

Question
Sep 24 2014
11:16:20 AM
CLo1227 Glider Visit CLo1227's Photo Album 172 Posts
It seems as if your mind is already made up. If so, keep in mind that rehoming gliders is extremely stressful and scary for them. With this being said, anyone that you do choose to rehome to (if this is the route you plan to go) should be their final home; Forever home. I would not focus so much on a price, but more so on what questions you would ask to ensure the very best home for your babies.
Question
Sep 24 2014
12:19:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by CLo1227

It seems as if your mind is already made up. If so, keep in mind that rehoming gliders is extremely stressful and scary for them. With this being said, anyone that you do choose to rehome to (if this is the route you plan to go) should be their final home; Forever home. I would not focus so much on a price, but more so on what questions you would ask to ensure the very best home for your babies.

Agree
Question
Sep 27 2014
02:32:24 AM
ilovemysuggiegliderbaby Glider Visit ilovemysuggiegliderbaby's Photo Album 90 Posts
Nerdy, I am working harder with Mia even though she is annoying with the constant crabbing.

Also, my mind is not made up. I am so afraid that someone will not be able to love them or care for them like I do. I just feel stuck in the middle because I do not want to put my babies in harm's way. I want them to be safe and to be with someone who will take time with them. I don't know if I will have that time after I move. I'm going to be working, moving more, and getting to know directions, places, and so on.

The problem with this is that... most people on here have gliders that are bonded to them, bonding to them, or have an all around great/normal relationship with their babies. I do not. I am asking for help. Not to be judged in some way. I mean, doesn't anyone feel the same way on this site sometimes when it is health issues or common questions about our babies? People do not know how well someone takes care of their suggie babies. Just because you want to figure out what to do about your babies (that you love so much) doesn't mean you're a crappy oowner.

Mimzy had been rehomed I don't know how many times before. When I bought her, it was to bring her into a better home. She was being fed pellets, and she wasn't handled. She just loves not being touched or in contact with humans. At all. She loves to be held when she is sleeping, but unless she is sleeping... she wants to roam. I know that is what suggies do. I don't mind. She is sweet as can be even though she did bite me hard a few weeks ago.

Mia was in a home with a small child. A 3 year old - 4 year old that handled her badly because the child was young. She hates hands. She hates being talked to even if it is in a quiet voice. She hates everything and anything that has to do with me. She was sold to me at a young age in my opinion. 11 weeks. She was sold to the previous owner at a much younger age (way way too young to be sold at) before me. She is tiny. She is a baby. She is fussy like a baby should be. I thought that she would be more accustomed to being handled since the girl dropped her in my hands the day I bought her. My partner can confirm that she crabs at everything and doesn't want to be messed with.

Now, the problem that I have with coming on here is that I love animals. I do. My parents train dogs professionally. I grew up mainly around dogs so I always wanted a hamster or a cat. I've been around cows, horses, dogs, pigs, cats, ect. Those are animals that are all around me. I wanted something different. Something that would need me and needed to be taken in. I live in a small southern town, and it took weeks to find Mimzy. I had to drive hours to get her because where I live -- people barely know about sugar gliders. Mimzy is different. I thought that I would be taking in a sugar glider that had been handled well, but I was lied to. I've spent forever trying to get Mimzy to bond to me, and I finally did.

Saying that something is "annoying" shouldn't seem so bad. My Lhasa Apso is annoying when he gets grumpy, but that doesn't mean I love him less. He will be fine with the cats. I am afraid for my babies because there are so many cats. So, with that in mind, don't sit there and think that I want to rehome my babies because they bother the h*** out of me. No. I want them to be safe, and I want Mia to be with someone who can handle her BECAUSE THEY KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH BABY SUGAR GLIDERS. I don't. I got into a situation over my head that is only regressing instead of progressing no matter what I do.
Question
Sep 27 2014
09:55:52 AM
Then sell Mia since she is just to much of a baby to you... She is actually almost an adult... A baby in my opinion is just 8-9 weeks OOP... The only reason I say that is becaus that is when they are weaned and ready to go out...

But you cannot expect that everyone has "perfect gliders"... I have had a girl named rogue for 5 months and she is Not touchable.... I have fought and fought with her time and time again... Tried everything with her... And still do to this day... I don't complain because why complain when i am the only person that can change it...

Not that I am saying you are complaining but from your words... You don't want her just because she is hard to handle....

I suggest you think long and hard what you want to do...
Question
Sep 27 2014
11:48:20 PM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
Both girls seem to have come from bad situations.

Unfortunately, gliders like yours tend to be the ones that get rehomed over and over again, because of their "bad personalities".

Mimzy has already been rehomed multiple times, you said yourself that it took you forever to get her to somehow bond with you. If you decide to rehome her, you will want to look for people that have dealt with lots of gliders (specially those "hard to handle"), otherwise she'll just end up bouncing from house to house, which will only worsen her personality.

Mia, because of all you mentioned: being taken away at an early age, being mistreated and possibly hurt, and who knows what else; will be another hard to handle case. And again, she could end up in a similar situation to that of Mimzy's, unless given to a proper home.

At that point, if you want to consider what is best for your girls, the best you can do is find a reputable glider rescue (by reputable I mean, that they won't breed the gliders, or immediately sell them for a profit; you need to do your research). I don't know of many glider rescues, but I've seen what my breeders (who also run a rescue) do for the gliders surrendered to them: they first take them to a vet; have a separated, quarantined room where they keep them until they are sure they are healthy; daily handles them; assess their personalities, and try to work on whatever social issues they may have; and once they think they are ready for a new home, if they are ever ready (they have had to keep gliders due to special issues, such as health or personality), they will try their best to find a forever home for them.

But because of all the responsibilities they take with a new glider, a rescue won't buy them from you; you have to voluntarily surrender the gliders to them (there won't be a financial gain from it, but at least you know your gliders are in good hands).

At the end is your decision, but this is a suggestion if you worry about the kind of treatment your gliders will receive after they leave your home.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders