Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
please help carrying female without male
Off topic chat
Sep 29 2014
10:49:05 AM
I have a carrying female that I bought and a few days after I got her it turned out that she was carrying, because I got her there is no father. I have done tons of research so far about joey rejection. Sadly I'm still very confused and need help. I have read it is possible that the mom can raise the joeys by herself with help. How do I help her? I have three other gliders one being a neutered male who just chases her around which I think is from the fact she has joeys. I did contact sue and I am ordering he milk replacer soon. Snow is about four weeks right now or five. Her bumps just started moving a lot last week. Please help any advice I would appreciate.
Off topic chat
Sep 29 2014
11:26:43 AM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
Since she is new to your home, it is better if you keep her separated and not try to introduce her to your other gliders yet. This can not only stress her out, it could also endanger the joeys, since the other gliders could kill them, taking them directly from her pouch.

A single glider can raise the joeys on her own, but is a lot harder, and the chances for the joey(s) to survive are lower. First off, you need to make sure you are feeding her enough protein and calcium, depending on your diet you need to either only feed some more of the staple, or change the diet to some extend.

Besides that, you want to keep her food close to her, so she doesn't strain herself too much while the joeys are IP, and once they are OOP, so she doesn't leave them alone for long. The sites below have good information about joey development. I would recommend you get a scale that measures in grams to keep up with the joey growth and make sure they are growing healthily.

www.petsugargliders.com/sggrowth.php

www.suzsugargliders.com/breedingsugargliders.htm

Once they are OOP, you can handle the joeys some (suz's website lists for how long can joeys be handled according to age), always in front of momma, and if they cry and momma comes looking for them, immediately hand them back to her. If momma glider leaves the joeys alone longer than the times stated in Suz's page (for example for more than 5min the first week OOP) the joeys could rapidly become cold, and die from hypothermia. Usually, when there is another glider around, he/she will keep the babies warm while momma is eating. Because she does not have a cage mate that could help her with this, you will need to do it instead, by grabbing a piece of fleece, wrapping the joeys while she is away, and keeping them warm (again, always in front of the mother, and handing them back when they cry).

If for some reason, when weighing the joeys, they don't seem to be gaining weight, it could mean that momma is not producing enough milk for them; at this point you may want to consider supplement feeding the joeys. Below are instructions about it:

www.suzsugargliders.com/handraisingajoey.htm

Now, be aware that given how much her environment has changed (i.e. new home, new gliders, and pregnancy) you glider could be very stress, and this will make it more likely for her to either lose the joey, reject them, or even cannibalize them. Hand raising a rejected joey is one of the hardest tasks you can take on. The require feeding about every hour or so (so you will end up loosing a lot of sleep, and you don't want to fall asleep with them on you), stimulation pooping a peeing, and keeping them in an incubator when you need to take a short nap. The younger the joey, the less likely it is for it to survive; unfortunately there is little we can do but prepare ourselves.

Keeping in contact with Suz, is a great help, she is very knowledgeable.

Wish you the best of lucks.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders