Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Did your gliders.....
Did your gliders.....
Question
Oct 08 2014
08:32:39 AM
Did anyone else's gliders go crazy this week....?

We had the total eclipse and blood moon this morning... But all week starting Monday my gliders have been barking at night and just acting crazy....

Just wondering if anyone else's were acting different... I know a few times my gliders do this but normally only on or around full moons....

My little were-gliders lol ha ha ha

Question
Oct 08 2014
08:42:57 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Yep...I've enjoyed watching them through moon phases and find it interesting how it affects their moods and activity. All week the same as yours, more barking and craziness. Oddly, last night...the actual full moon/eclipse...they were rather quiet again and Maeve went to bed earlier than usual this morning.

The moon phases are such a curious thing and certainly has an effect on all living things here on earth...well factor in the tides and I suppose it reaches even further.

Great...now you've got me in an astronomical mind set, too! The LUNAcy is setting in!!!!!
Question
Oct 08 2014
09:28:36 AM
NerdyHails Face Hugger Visit NerdyHails's Photo Album NerdyHails's Journal FL, USA 566 Posts
ha ha ha great minds think alike my love! lol
Question
Oct 08 2014
09:41:26 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
We had a "cold" front come through last week and my gliders barked all night long. I think they are sensitive to changing atmospheric pressures that come with fronts moving through.

They probably sense a lot of things we are not aware of.
Question
Oct 08 2014
11:59:21 AM
NerdyHails Face Hugger Visit NerdyHails's Photo Album NerdyHails's Journal FL, USA 566 Posts
It is crazy how in tune with nature they are... I love gliders!
Question
Oct 08 2014
02:14:54 PM
marisa0820 Super Glider Visit marisa0820's Photo Album marisa0820's Journal USA 222 Posts
WOW IS THAT THE REASON WHY?!

That's crazy! My glider was barking and throwing himself all over his cage and barking non-stop the other night! He rarely EVER barks. I was getting worried and wondered if he was hurt or if he was just bored but now I'm convinced it's this LOL that's hilarious
Question
Oct 08 2014
05:29:23 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
Oooooohhh!!!! One of ours has been barking all night the last couple of nights and I was SO confused, because they never bark this much. So yes, at least one of mine went crazy too!
Question
Oct 08 2014
06:03:55 PM
TigerLilly5555 Super Glider Visit TigerLilly5555's Photo Album KS, USA 299 Posts
...... Barked ALL night long.... For the last few days.... Ugh!!! I love them..... But I like to sleep too.... LOL
Question
Oct 08 2014
08:39:52 PM
chips2013 Glider Visit chips2013's Photo Album NJ, USA 127 Posts
Mine have been crazyyyy! We have had thunderstorms and this moon thing and they just bark and tremble and jump all over! And tonight they are just now waking up. Usually they are awake by 7:30-8. My male only came out bc it's corn night! Lol :)
Question
Oct 08 2014
09:52:53 PM
Jon Brand Joey 46 Posts
Mine have been totally normal. They don't really see the outdoors based on the window location/cage set up. They are actually right against a window which always has a curtain covering it.

Should I leave it so the light comes in?

I sleep late, so they don't get up until all the lights including the computer are off, sometimes up to 3 AM. So I am afraid that if i leave the window uncovered they won't have much dark time.

Words of wisdom??
Question
Oct 08 2014
10:03:33 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
They actually require light during normal day light hours to help regulate their nocturnal sleep cycle.

Having the room dark during the day probably means they are going to sleep very late - which contributes to their waking up at 3 am.

Try leaving the curtains open during the day and turning the room lights down to a very minimum in the evening. That will encourage your gliders to wake up earlier so you can have some time to interact with them in the evenings.

My glider cages are on a sun porch with windows on 3 walls. They are asleep a little before full sunrise and wake up about an hour after full sunset as long as I have turned off the lights in the room.
Question
Oct 09 2014
08:14:13 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Good advise up there from Candy.

As for the moon cycle...the effect has little to do with being able to actually see the moon in most cases. There is a gravitational pull and lots of scientific stuff I won't go into!
Question
Oct 09 2014
03:17:21 PM
BandP Super Glider Visit BandP's Photo Album 389 Posts
Boy, Cheyenne was barking up a storm last night. Every time I said anything to them in their pouch she started barking, which is unlike her. And the last few nights during playtime she has not wanted to do much but sit under one of our shirts, or bark. Now I know why.
Did your gliders.....

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Did your gliders.....