GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
playdates/breeding with a glider from another home
Question
Oct 09 2014
11:16:17 AM
So, I have Gus, who is starting to bond with me slowly

I also have a friend with a "lone" female sugar glider that she's had happily for over a year now.

Obviously we know they are both healthy

My question is twofold-

1-
The friend really wants to let them mate so she can get a joey, but the gliders obviously don't live together, are their any risks to this? (depression etc.) Also, I'm not planning on him being a breeder, and want to get him neutered here in a few weeks, would letting him mate before getting neutered cause any issues?

2-
Assuming I DONT let them breed, in a few weeks when he is bonded to me better and neutered, is there any reason not to let them have "playdates", take one to the others place and let them play for awhile?

I'm hesitant about this, my friend is very not-at-all-hesitant, thoughts?

Thanks,
Information
Oct 09 2014
12:13:49 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
First - you cannot just toss two gliders into the same cage and hope they get along.

Gliders are very territorial and introductions require a gradual process of switching their sleeping pouches and toys from cage to cage for several days to get both glider used to the scent of the other glider. After that, a face to face introduction is usually done during the day time - and if the gliders do not ball up fighting and are willing to go together into a clean sleeping pouch they can be left together. They must be watched carefully in the evening when they wake up to make sure they do not fight and that there is no food aggression. They need to be watched closely for a few days to make sure they continue to get along sharing the cage.

So, No play dates are NOT recommended for sugar gliders. You might get lucky and have the two immediately get along - or you could have a huge fight ending with both gliders having injuries requiring expensive vet care. It could go either way - and even if they got along at the time of one "play date" it would not mean that they would be OK the next time you put them together as gliders get more territorial as they mature and get older.

The chances of them breeding by being introduced and allowed to live together (you and your friend would need to decide who gets both gliders) for 2 months or longer are slim. It would depend on their age and maturity as well as the female's heat cycle. It would also be quite a while before you could tell if the female is pregnant and carrying joeys. They are pregnant for 16 days then the joey(s) are born and crawl to the mother's pouch where they will continue to develop. It would be at least 4 weeks in pouch before the joey is even large enough for a lump to be seen so you would know for sure she is carrying joeys. Joeys come OOP after about 9 weeks.

During this time, the two gliders would bond with each other and separating them could cause both gliders to become depressed. The female also needs the father to help care for the joeys once they come OOP and until they are about 8 weeks OOP. If you removed the father from a first time mom - it would reduce the chances of the joeys' survival because a depressed glider might not be able to care for the joeys alone.

I hope you will share this information with your friend. If she wants to raise joeys, it would be best for her to get a male glider as a permanent cagemate for her female. Once she has joeys, she can have the male neutered and any male joeys neutered before they are 4 months OOP and then keep them all together as a family colony.

You may also want to consider getting a second glider as a cagemate for your boy after he is neutered as gliders really do best when housed with another glider.
Question
Oct 09 2014
12:24:49 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
It has been brought up before.

Simply...if one (or neither) of you have documented lineage on the gliders, they should not be allowed to breed. There is an often made misconception that gliders from different areas, etc. could not possibly be of close relation. It is quite the opposite.

Yes, there would be depression after allowing them to go through the entire bonding process with each other, to have them mate, and then take them away from each other. It is a danger to both. The mother who would be better off not having this stress on her while carrying joeys as well as needing the father to help with the joeys once OOP.

Because you have both had the gliders for a while and that they are healthy, does not necessarily mean that one or both may have parasites present in their even without contact with another glider. Internal parasites are commonly and easily passed from glider contact...but can also come from a water supply or on a fresh food item, etc.

I've heard of 'play dates'. I'm not in favor for various reasons. Typically it takes true bonding time for the gliders to be comfortable around each other. Some people seem to express that they've had success with this.

Sounds like your friend wants a quick fix to get a joey or two without having put enough research into the intricacies of breeding.
Question
Oct 09 2014
12:25:56 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
SORRY! I just knew there would be a couple of us posting at the same time. I'll scroll back up and see what Candy has to say. LOL
Question
Oct 09 2014
12:36:54 PM
rjpope42 Joey Visit rjpope42's Photo Album 46 Posts
Thanks both!

you confirmed my suspicions about both play dates and "hookups"

I was not aware they needed to be housed together for an extended period to successfully conceive, or that the father was needed in the raising process, so that makes that an obviously bad decision.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders