Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
A little clumsy
A little clumsy
Behavior
Oct 11 2014
02:31:00 AM
My two little demons got ontop of their cage tonight and crawled around the bars (I'm sick and they love to climb on me and be around my face. I open the door for 2 seconds and they both take that opportunity and go) so I am trying to get them back in when I notice my female Totes is getting a little clumsy on the bars. Her hind feet are slipping a little. she runs around a bit more and something seems a little off (could be nothing since I am sick and my own motor skills and focusing has been off)

I get both back into the cage and she goes straight for the camo pouch with a hard floor (so it lays flat on the bottom while hanging) and she starts grooming. She uses her hind legs fine for grooming. I reach in and mess with her back paws to check. She grabs (not as firmly as she does with her front paws. Don't know if that's normal?) my finger with the hind and front paw and eventually lets go with her hind paw just holding with the front.

The male comes over to see what's going on. She charges at him and crabs (she has never done that) and has spent the last 2 hrs alone in the camo pouch grooming while the male plays on the wheel (she is usually pretty protective of the wheel and will chase him off)

They are both now in the camo pouch not making a sound (so hopefully sleeping? I know if I check they will wake up)

Sorry for the long post I just wanted to say what happened and what followed after the suspicious behavior. Should I be worried about the slight clumsiness? Or is that her just trying to get away quickly because she knew she wasn't going to stay out? Should I watch over her this weekend to confirm that she is indeed acting strange before calling the vets? I doubt it's HLP I have been following the BML to a T. (Though if it's a problem I can switch to a better diet) but I don't know...

Thank you and sorry for the long questions!
Behavior
Oct 11 2014
04:23:04 AM
TotesMaGoats Glider Visit TotesMaGoats's Photo Album TotesMaGoats's Journal VA, USA 84 Posts
Oops never mind I jumped the gun. Though I guess this is okay information to learn anyways! My male won't leave my female's side and made sure she ate and she did crawl around some without him there. They took their little break for half an hour and are now back together in the camo pouch. Sorry about that! She was acting very different when she was out. A side I had never seen from her. Very jumpy and barking with her nub in the air (when I was just looking at her) being sick and a helicopter mom just equals problems that aren't even there
Behavior
Oct 13 2014
07:55:23 AM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
I completely understand you, I am sort of the same way. Gliders act a little different when they are just waking up, they can be more clumsy, and skittish, specially if something just comes out of nowhere, sort of like what your male did when she wan in the pouch, that is probably why she crab and lunge at him (my female does the same).

They also seem to be affected by moon phases, pressure changes, and whatnot.

Glad to hear they are doing better, though.
A little clumsy

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
A little clumsy