Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Questions
Questions
Question
Oct 11 2014
07:39:00 AM
Hi all, Please guide me along. Heres my situation, Yesterday i bought 2 gliders male and female. I have seen alot of infos in the web about quarantining them, but i have already put them in the same cage from the start, and they sleep in the same banana pouch for a day, but i keep hearing short hisses when they are about to wake up. and i observe that last night when i put them in the cage, the male is nibbling on the females neck, head, ear and sometimes the female just allows him to do so. So my question here are

1)what does all those short hisses represent?
2)why is the male keep on nibble on the female, im afraid he is hurting her
3)since they are already sleeping in the same pouch, no need to do the introduction anymore?

FYI : both gliders are about 5-6 months old.

Thanksssss
Question
Oct 11 2014
08:58:10 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Welcome to glider parenthood and to the forum.

Did you get they from different prior owners? If so you were lucky that they did not fight when you put them together. Young gliders that have not yet become territorial usually are happy to have a cage mate.

No, if the two gliders are already in the same cage and not fighting there is no reason to separate them now. The nibbling is most likely grooming going on. The short hisses at each other in the pouch is a way for the gliders to communicate with each other. Your male may also be interested in mating with the female if she goes into heat.

Is the male neutered? If not you may want to have that done ASAP. The female is too young to be a first time mother because she is still growing and providing milk for joeys will draw nutrients away from her own growth and bone development. It is usually best to not allow the female to breed until she is at least a year old.

A well check up with a glider experienced vet is advised for any new glider in your home. This is to make sure the gliders are both healthy and that neither has any parasite issues that would require treatment. Since they are already sharing a cage, if either one has parasites BOTH will need to be medicated. Most vets will do a pooled fecal testing anyway (samples from both gliders tested together but only one charge).

The forum has many resources to help you. Check the Gliderpedia (button in the forum header) for tips on bonding, housing and feeding your gliders and more.

Question
Oct 11 2014
02:31:46 PM
ceronin12345 Joey Visit ceronin12345's Photo Album 44 Posts
Oh I see, another question. Today is the second day of having them, my female glider is not active compared to yesterday, she spend most of the time in pouch. And always making weird noises. Such as constant hissing and something that resembles a whistling sound and quick clicking sound, like it's her teeth making that sound. What does all these means, hopefully it's normal.

oh yeah and another thing, i understand both my gliders are scared hence all the crabbing, but my male one seems super aggressive, he will actually lunged at my finger when i feed him yogurt drop through the cage, now im so scared of bonding with him lol. i think i just gotten myself an ALPHA male.

Edited by - ceronin12345 on Oct 11 2014 02:45:41 PM
Question
Oct 11 2014
07:55:31 PM
FairyGirl Glider Visit FairyGirl's Photo Album 95 Posts
My male would lunge at me and everyone else when he was younger, he's now 9 mo or so. Since I consider myself 'new' to owning gliders, only since march of this yr, I'll tell you what I did. I would cover my hand in a piece of fleece and the let him lunge at the fleece, once he calmed down then I would show him my hand under the fleece, or he would just climb right on. I would think that the lunging is just let you know that he thinks you're invading his territory, once he realizes the threat is not there he should calm down enough to eat treats.
Question
Oct 12 2014
04:51:57 AM
Will give it try. What about all the noises my female is making?
Question
Oct 12 2014
06:55:21 AM
I have heard that the whistling sound is for happiness if it's the same noise I've heard my female make. It looked liked she was possessed. She opened her mouth wide and let out a low whistle. In my short experience, the short hisses are gliders 'yelling' at each other to keep their assorted body parts to themselves. She could be uncomfortable and just frustrated that she is unable to find a comfortable sweet spot.
Last week I was noticing that my male was sleeping in a different pouch than my female, but I figure it was cause they were in a smaller pouch than I usually have and my female has joeys in pouch. I guess daddy didn't like getting randomly kicked in the head by is half cooked children.

I wouldn't too much about the activity level of your female as long as she's eating, drinking, and pee/pooing. She could just be overwhelmed and trying the settle in. Other with more experience might chime in, but I would say she needs a couple to unwind.
Question
Oct 12 2014
07:03:16 AM
Will give it try. What about all the noises my female is making?
Question
Oct 12 2014
07:58:38 AM
Oh i see. But what about the sound of teeth tapping really fast. Its like when we are cold our jaws will just shiver making that tapping/clicking sound. She is making that sound when she is awake. On and off till she sleeps
Question
Oct 12 2014
09:00:16 AM
I looked up a youtube video of this noise since I've never heard from my gliders. I didn't find out what it means, but other gliders do make this sound. One video had it listed as a 'greeting'.
Question
Oct 12 2014
11:01:20 AM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
when I first get my new gliders home and put them in their new cage. I just let them be for about the first week. I only go in the cage to put in food and water and take out left overs in the morning.

They have to get used to all the new sites, smells and sounds of you home.

Every time I would approach their cage I would 'announce' myself by talking to them.

When they came out at nite for play time I would sit and watch them and talk to them. If they would come to me, I would give them treats thru the cage bars.

If you have some fleece squares 5" x 5" that you can wear tucked in your clothes or sleep on in your pillow cage to get your scent on them...you take a square and each day put a new 'you' scented square in their sleeping pouch.

After about a week you can carry them for an hour or 2 while they are sleepy in a zippered bonding pouch so they get used to you too.

It can take patience with these guys but don't let the lunging discourage you. They need time to get to know you.

Things like grabbing them and trying to restrain them can sometimes scare them and best to avoid, unless the previous home handled them a lot, then it may not be an issue.
Some of my gliders are way more friendly than the others and 2 of them were/are lungers.

One of them is over the lunging and my new guy I am still working on, but he's getting better.
Question
Oct 12 2014
12:39:53 PM
So u recommend I just leave them in the cages except for putting in water and food for a couple more days before I proceed with the bonding process? Because if I start now I believe if I want to transfer them from their banana pouch which they both sleep in into the bonding pouch they will crab like mad and lunge at me
Question
Oct 13 2014
12:28:41 AM
Yes, I would just try to leave them be for a bit so they can settle in.

If you go slowly and gently squeeze them up from the bottom(like a tube of toothpaste) and offer the bonding pouch for them to go into it. You can also get a bonding pouch that will fit their sleeping pouch in it to start too. I ordered one from Glider kids web site9Candy is on here and makes a roomy sling pack type that holds my bigger pouches.

I most often do just use their sleeping pouch any ways and if they get restless I hold the top closed until I can get their pouch hung back in the cage.
Question
Oct 13 2014
01:25:09 PM
Zzzz I think I'm afraid of them haha.. I try to feed him yogurt drops through the cage and when I put my fingers closer to the cage they will just lunge at me with the crabbing. So scary.

oh and another thing, the 1st day i gave them quite a big portion of apples and carrots together with BMLs. they wipe the whole plate clean but the BML they just ate abit. the 2nd day onwards till now they dont really eat their fruits and veggies that much.

Edited by - ceronin12345 on Oct 13 2014 01:32:32 PM
Question
Oct 13 2014
02:01:01 PM
Zzzz I think I'm afraid of them haha.. I try to feed him yogurt drops through the cage and when I put my fingers closer to the cage they will just lunge at me with the crabbing. So scary
Information
Oct 13 2014
05:17:42 PM
If the BML is new to them, it will probably just take them a few days to get used to it and begin to eat it well.

The BML Diet requires that you feed them frozen mixed vegetables each night (corn, peas, carrots and green beans) to provide the phosphorus needed to balance the calcium supplement called for in the recipe.

You can keep dinner interesting for them by choosing a different fruit each night - from those allowed on the feeding plan which are apples, grapes, watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, frozen pitted cherries and blueberries.

Here is the web page instructions for BML in case you have not read the original instructions.

http://www.angelfire.com/nb/sugargliders/bml/leadbeat.html
Question
Oct 14 2014
08:58:54 PM
As for the feeding treats to 'lungers'...you can use a plastic tweezers or some chop sticks to offer treats and gradually as they get more used to you, you can get your hands/fingers closer and closer to them. They will eventually associate you with yummy treats and it will build their trust in you.

It's just being patient with them and going at their pace.

Try to be very calm, not nervous. They can very much sense your energy...think horse or dog whisperer...only positive energy!
Question
Oct 15 2014
02:59:45 AM

Ok help needed here. It's been 5 days since having them and I haven't start on the bonding process yet because they are still afraid of me. Tried today to start the bonding with the pouch but the problem is they won't go into the bonding pouch, they will just crab non stop and stay in their banana sleeping pouch. And since I have 2 in the same banana pouch it's is terribly difficult to get both of them in that bonding pouch.how should I go about doing it? Even if I offer yogurt drops they will just lunge at me. How can I process with it?

Edited by - ceronin12345 on Oct 15 2014 03:03:06 AM
Question
Oct 15 2014
05:55:24 AM
drummerrip Joey Visit drummerrip's Photo Album IN, USA 24 Posts
Please read the posts from other members above... they all have great information and it really is important to listen to what they say before giving up hope.

Please also click on the "Search" icon at the top and type in "bonding." Two or three links down, you should find a "Gliderpedia" article of that title that lays out what you should do: http://www.sugarglider.com/gliderpedia/index.asp?bonding

A few considerations:
When they lunge, do they actually get the yogurt drops, or do you yank your hand away? If they don't actually get the yogurt drop, they're going to keep lunging and try to be faster than you so they CAN get the treat. And you're going to keep being startled and freaked out. Slow down. Take deep breaths.

Do your gliders even like yogurt drops? Two of mine won't even touch them. Try tiny pieces of avocado instead (pieces one fourth the size of a six-sided gaming die) and use chop sticks to offer them. Even if they lunge, DO NOT PULL BACK: your hands are safely out of reach. Repeat this 3-4 times a night until you're both used to feeding treats.

Invest in a different pouch. That banana thing is cute, but it makes it tricky to transfer them to the bonding pouch. They won't go in the bonding pouch on their own: you need to slowly dump them into it. Don't be mean or rough, just tuck the exit of the banana into the bonding pouch into the bonding pouch and then gently massage them into the bonding pouch. Don't squeeze the gliders, and if their claws get caught, give them time to get unstuck. They'll try to nip at you through the fleece, and they'll probably crab their heads off, but IGNORE BOTH. They're scared and you're probably scared, but transferring pouches (correctly) isn't going to permanently damage them or you.

If you're too scared to do this (it happens), hang the bonding pouch in the cage, remove all other hiding spots, and then dump them out of the banana pouch onto the floor of the cage during the sunniest part of the day. If at all possible, hang the bonding pouch exactly where the banana pouch was so they can find it more easily. Then, after they've crawled into the bonding pouch (and are back asleep), pinch the middle part of the pouch closed with one hand and zip the top with the other. Then tuck them under your shirt and go read a book or watch TV quietly or something. They're going to crab. They're going to be grouchy. Remember that they're scared, and that they have a right to be. Go here and read this:
http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/922929/Searchpage/1/Main/91969/Words/king+kong/Search/true/Building_a_Relationship_with_y#Post922929

And please, please, please, please add pieces of fleece to their cage that smell like you. Gliders rely heavily on scent, so the more the better. :)
Information
Oct 15 2014
09:54:17 AM
Try to relax around your gliders. They can sense that you are fearful and will react to that feeling.

If your bonding pouch has removable straps you can hang it in the cage in place of all other pouches or sleeping spaces during the early bonding process. Hang it in the cage unzipped and while your gliders are out of the other pouches eating or playing, just remove the banana pouch and hammock. Your gliders will go to sleep in the bonding pouch and you can then just remove it - replace the strap and carry them for a while during the day.

Also, try to let them have several hours of UNDISTURBED sleep in the cage is they do not sleep quietly while you are carrying them in the bonding pouch. If your movements keep them awake, they are not getting the rest they need. I am pretty grumpy when someone wakes me up several times during the night when I need my rest.

Bonding does not require you to carry the gliders all day long. A few hours in the afternoon after they are well rested is better for building their trust than carrying them all day long and crabbing every few minutes.
Question
Oct 16 2014
06:01:06 AM
Update : today i proceed with all the suggestions. I removed all hammocks and they went into the bonding pouch to sleep and i took them out for about 40mins or so. This 40mins they didnt sleep. They just crab non stop. I gave the male a yogurt and he just bite my finger twice and it bled. I wasnt worry about this.everytime i just to talk to them through the cage. Only the male will actually come out and see whats wrong and defend himself. The female will just crab in their pouch without even checking. If i proceed with this step they will get more used to me am i right?
Information
Oct 16 2014
08:44:17 AM
When you are carrying them in the bonding pouch, try to sit still - read or watch TV but just be still so they can calm down and go to sleep.

When you offer yogurt, use a popsicle stick for now. As your gliders get used to licking the yogurt from the stick you can very gradually hold it so your hand is closer and closer to them. They will learn your hands bring good things but your finger tip will be safe. Once they stop lunging and trying to bite the stick, then you can use your finger for the yogurt.

Remember the 3 lick rule though - 3 licks then re-load your finger with yogurt. If the yogurt is completely gone it is likely they will bite to make "more sap" (yogurt) flow. If they were licking sap from a branch they would bite the bark to make more juices flow from it.

Bonding takes time - and how much time is up to the glider. The glider must learn to trust you and your hands.
Question
Oct 16 2014
08:57:59 AM
I was sitting very still, watching drama on my computer, but they just crab non stop. So I just wanna check that it's okay if they crab non stop? I will gradually increase the timing for them to be in the pouch. Oh and I didn't realize I didn't type the drop. Haha I gave them yogurt drop. I tried giving them yogurt drops through the cages last night, they will lunge so I gave them via chopsticks, they don't lunge at the chopsticks so I tried to feed them with my hand, surprising they didn't lunge at my finger, I was so happy, but awhile later, they lunged again, feeling sad
Question
Oct 20 2014
07:05:50 AM
Hi all again. Just another quick question. Heres what my gliders schedule are. They will sleep in their bonding pouch because i remove all hammocks for that to sleep in. I will take them out and wear them in the day. Before wearing them and during. I will talk to them but whenever they my voice they willjust crab non stop till i stop talking. And hence they will crab. They are not sleeping and they wakes up in the mornings now. So what i wanna ask is that do i continue with this process? Is this the right process? FYI its been a week of bonding

another thing when i throw them in a tent to let them run about i will just sleep in there. They will climb on me. But after that they will run around the room because they can sqeeuze out and they suddenly become afraid of me. Unlike in the tent. Whats wrong?
Information
Oct 20 2014
10:32:51 AM
You do not need to carry them for extended periods of time during the day.

Try letting them sleep in the cage for a good 6 hours of undisturbed sleep. Then in the late afternoon, take the pouch out and carry them for an hour or two.

Talk to them when ever you are near their cage, especially when they are awake and active in the cage in the evenings.

Don't just "throw them in the tent" then go to sleep. The point of taking them in the tent is to give them a safe place to run around and explore on you. It is also important that you are interacting with them during this bonding time.

bring treats, or some of the fruit from their dinner to offer while they are in the tent with you. Bring toys that they can explore and things you can use to play with them. A long strip of fleece cut into smaller strips at the end makes a nice "teaser" you can dangle in front of them or drag across the floor of the tent for them to chase. Hang fleece ropes in the tent for them to climb up and down. Use treats to coax them to come to your hands.

Clever gliders will slide the zippers open and escape. They need your supervision during tent time. When you are ready to go to sleep - put them in the cage for the night so they can eat overnight and play in the cage safely.

They will be afraid if you have to chase them down in your room to catch them after they escape. Supervising their tent time play, you can stop them before they get the zipper open to escape and eliminate the chase that frightens them.

Bonding with your gliders is a gradual process. One week is not much time for them to adjust to a new home and begin to learn to trust you. Bonding happens on the glider's time schedule not the human's.
Question
Oct 20 2014
11:09:20 AM
Okay! thanks for the advice.
Questions

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Questions