Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Glider ate dead wasp. toxic yes or no!??!
Health related
Oct 12 2014
12:15:52 AM
Hey guys so my glider kia got behind a peace of furniture and found a dead wasp (learned that this wasp was killed by fly swater a few days ago) she devoured about half if it before we could pry it from her hands, we don't think she ate the butt of the wasp but we are unsure because we lost it when it fell cause we were more concerned about her. Now I am not able to find online if wasps themselves are toxic, being as it was dead and had no way of stinging her. Please respond quickly...
Health related
Oct 12 2014
08:58:21 AM
FairyGirl Glider Visit FairyGirl's Photo Album 95 Posts
I can only help put you at partial ease with my answer, someone will probably have a better one. If you're worried about the venom being ingested, think about it this way.. Venom is suppose to be injected directly into the blood stream for it to be able to work. The pH of blood (at least ours is) about 7.4, which is slightly basic. The pH of stomach acid where the venom would go, is closer to 1, which is VERY acidic. Most biological processes have a very small pH range in which they can occur. The chances are that venom being destroyed in the stomach is very high. Keep in mind that this is going off what I know about human anatomy, but the principle is the same.
Health related
Oct 17 2014
10:46:14 PM
animallover620 Starting Member Visit animallover620's Photo Album 8 Posts
I've always heard on animal planet venom is only dangerous if injected, ex: bitten, stung, etc. And swallowing is harmless. Now this was on a show about humans and snakes but I'm sure it's the same for animals as well. : )

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders