Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
chasing?
chasing?
Question
Oct 15 2014
01:57:42 AM
My fixed male and female are suddenly now not getting along. This is the third day in a row this has happened. My female glider will chase my male glider around the cage. It is only her doing it. And I have no idea why. They sleep fine together. They eat together and they share toys together.

But all of a sudden 3 days ago Totes has been chasing Winston. He is scared. After the chases he just sits.

Sometimes when he goes near her she lets out a soft short hiss and he leaves.

What gives? They have been fine together for weeks. And now this.

What do I do?
Question
Oct 15 2014
05:17:03 AM
drummerrip Joey Visit drummerrip's Photo Album IN, USA 24 Posts
Is he in danger? Has she hurt him or fought with him, or is it just chasing? If he is injured, they'll need to be separated and a vet should inspect any wounds.

If it's just chasing, she could be extra crabby because of her cycle, and some females have been known to chase off males when they don't want to mate (even though yours IS neutered, he could still have tried to respond to her ovulation cues). Do you have any other gliders around or have there been any major changes in their lives lately?
Question
Oct 15 2014
07:21:36 AM
TotesMaGoats Glider Visit TotesMaGoats's Photo Album TotesMaGoats's Journal VA, USA 84 Posts
As far as I can tell it is just chasing and they are not coming into contact with each other. (very loud chasing though)Neither look hurt at all. She still lets him around her when playing with toys and eating. If this is a cycle thing then he should be fine. I was beginning to think it was a territorial thing or something. Last night was definitely the worst. But like I said they are just chasing and not coming in contact. And this morning they are sleeping in the same pouch. so Just her cycle is making her crazy?
Question
Oct 15 2014
09:53:13 AM
drummerrip Joey Visit drummerrip's Photo Album IN, USA 24 Posts
Yes, I hate to blame PMS, but it appears so, lol.

I have a female (in a separate colony obviously) that HATES my neutered male and is EXTREMELY territorial. If he gets anywhere near her, she LOSES it and lunges, attacks, crabs, flicks her tail back and forth, and quivers. If they happened to be in the same space together (back when I thought play dates might get them to like each other) she would stay as far away from him as possible and be stuck in "high alert." Fortunately for you, my glider's territorial behavior does not sound ANYTHING like what you described. :) Food and sleeping space are the first two things that get fought over in a territory battle, and since your female is sharing both, I doubt that she's trying to kick the male out of the cage.

If the chasing subsides, it could have been due to your female's cycle, the moon cycle, a large bug or mouse in your house, etc. Having a second colony of gliders could cause the dynamic between these two to change, but if they're your only pair, that possibility is off the table. I'm not sure what type of toys you have, but maybe she's bored and needs a better wheel. (I saved up for a while before I upgraded to stealth wheels, and boy were they worth it!) If you can't identify anything else and neither glider starts showing the signs I mentioned (crabbing, lunging with crabbing, balling up to fight, shivering, or cobra-like tail undulations), then yeah, her cycle is probably making her crazy, and it will pass.
Question
Oct 15 2014
03:54:29 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
My female acts the same way on occasion. One night she slept in a cardboard tube and hissed when the boy came around. Once she slept in a butter tub dining room! Luckily, that behavior didn't last long. I was wondering if it is wrong to give a pair more than one pouch?
Question
Oct 15 2014
05:22:23 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
I always keep two pouches in each cage. Once in a while one of the gliders will choose to sleep by his or her self.
Question
Oct 15 2014
10:26:34 PM
TotesMaGoats Glider Visit TotesMaGoats's Photo Album TotesMaGoats's Journal VA, USA 84 Posts
Alright. Well lets hope it ends soon because I am losing sleep over this! But I am very very glad to hear that it isn't fighting. or a start to a fight.

also I have 4 pouches for my gliders to sleep in. they have their actual sleeping pouch, I have their bonding pouch tied in their cage on the door, a hard bottom pouch (that is like a mini ball pit) and then a second sleeping pouch. Like Candy said sometimes they will sleep by themselves. Early In the morning my two will pick separate pouches to settle into. (but they eventually end up in a pouch together) It gives them a little more personal room when they need it.
Question
Oct 16 2014
02:09:36 AM
sunRaeTX Glider Visit sunRaeTX's Photo Album sunRaeTX's Journal TX, USA 125 Posts
Same thing here, wow this is a long journey for the both of us with our babies, but mine are still in separate cages. :(
Question
Oct 17 2014
12:17:52 AM
I hope your babies can live together soon! Totes and winston got along well and after observing their "fighting" at the beginning it was just "don't groom me there" and nothing to really worry about. And this time it does seem to be her in heat which causes loud noises and chasing. But they still sleep together and groom one another. It is so scary though when there is a ruckus going on every hour. But no injuries! I hope that your two can get along.
chasing?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
chasing?