Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sugar glider sick HELP
Sugar glider sick HELP
Health related
Oct 16 2014
10:59:34 PM
ok I have 2 sugar gliders one male and one female and I went to go feed them today and I was shocked because they were just sitting there not moving they are brething but not moving

Edited by - Oppermant on Oct 16 2014 11:01:18 PM
Health related
Oct 16 2014
11:14:17 PM
rjpope42 Joey Visit rjpope42's Photo Album 46 Posts
How long have you had them?
did you wake them up and just get them out of their pouch?

If I get Gus up before he gets up himself up and pull him out of his pouch, then he usually just sits there and (I assume) tries to go back to sleep

Once he is "awake" he will still sit very still for about 5 minutes, then poop, then be active as ever

Health related
Oct 16 2014
11:16:27 PM
Oppermant Starting Member 3 Posts
Ive had them since last September I did the honey and sugar and water in the syringe and their eyes are starting to open but they just sit still
Health related
Oct 16 2014
11:20:15 PM
Oppermant Starting Member 3 Posts
I think they are dehydrated because they haven't been drinking much
Health related
Oct 17 2014
12:05:06 AM
rjpope42 Joey Visit rjpope42's Photo Album 46 Posts
then take em to a vet and make sure they'll be OK
Health related
Oct 17 2014
07:45:33 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Gliders don't typically drink a lot of water, they get most of their liquids from the food they eat.

If you think they are dehydrated do a tent test, gently pinch their skin, when you release the pinch of skin it should go flat immediately. If it stays up 'tent like' then they are not well hydrated.

Try giving them juicy fruits to eat if you are carrying them in a pouch or offer plain pedialyte or diluted apple juice every hour or so until the pinch of skin goes down as soon as you let go.

What do you usually feed your gliders? are they on a good staple diet?

Sometime mine will do that if a light is on that is to bright for them they will just sit kind of frozen like and it seems like they are just starring off in space.
It takes them a few minutes after I turn off the light to get active and move around again...
Health related
Oct 17 2014
08:06:49 AM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Oppermant

Ive had them since last September I did the honey and sugar and water in the syringe and their eyes are starting to open but they just sit still

To check for dehydration, do the tent test Leela suggested. Even if they are dehydrated you just need to offer water, if it is very severe you can give them pedialyte. Giving honey plus sugar is too many sugars for a glider, I've only heard they do this for hypoglycemic gliders; unless yours suffer from hypoglycemia, you shouldn't need to do this.

rjpope42 is right that the reason could be because they were just waking up. At what time of the day did this happened? Was it in the morning? At night when they were just waking up?

Also, if you could state what you are feeding them this could be helpful. Diets play a great part in these critters' health.
Sugar glider sick HELP

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sugar glider sick HELP