Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sugar Glider got into food!! Will he get sick?
Health related
Oct 18 2014
11:17:40 PM
I let my sugar glider roam around sometimes and I had discovered he had gotten into some uncooked ramen. It doesnt appear he had more than just a taste but im worried if he will get sick from it? Please help!
Health related
Oct 18 2014
11:42:33 PM
drummerrip Joey Visit drummerrip's Photo Album IN, USA 24 Posts
First question: did he chew it into a crescent and spit it out?
Health related
Oct 18 2014
11:43:41 PM
Second question: did he eat any of the flavor powder?
Health related
Oct 18 2014
11:48:22 PM
Ralph-n-Todd Joey 12 Posts
I honestly dont know about the first one i just found very tiny holes in the packages and im not sure but he might have had some of the powder. So far he isnt showing any symptoms and he just ate banana just fine. I would much rather be safe than sorry.
Health related
Oct 19 2014
12:04:28 AM
No matter how you respond to those two questions, find the contact info for the nearest emergency vet hospital and be prepared to drive there if his behavior changes. (Lethargy, change in ability to grasp, vomiting, anything really...)

We're not vets here (at least, most of us aren't), and so we really can't tell you what's best for your glider in this situation. The best advice I can give you is this "Get in touch with a vet." You might try calling your nearest vet hospital or even the ASPCA Poison Control Center. (Here's their website... It looks like they may charge for consultations: https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control )

That said, are you positive that he got into it tonight? Is is possible he tried it several nights ago and you just discovered the open package? Are you sure it was him and not some other pet/animal that got into it?

The two things that worry me most about instant Ramen are the fact that they expand when wet and the possibility of harmful ingredients in the spice packets. The noodles themselves are mostly flour (which shouldn't be harmful in and of itself). If your glider didn't touch the spice packet, that's good news, and if he chewed the noodles and spit out the pulp, any expansion would have happened in his mouth and not his stomach.

Please keep a close eye on him and use your best judgement in contacting a vet. It's always better to be safe than to be sorry.
Health related
Oct 19 2014
12:06:01 AM
Thank you very much! I will defiantly be sure to call.
Health related
Oct 19 2014
07:56:37 PM
marisa0820 Super Glider Visit marisa0820's Photo Album marisa0820's Journal USA 222 Posts
If it was just a taste, that's not enough to harm him.
Health related
Oct 20 2014
09:35:35 PM
Even if he had some of the powder?
Health related
Oct 20 2014
10:04:09 PM
Jon Brand Joey 46 Posts
My gut tells me he'll be ok but I think no one knows. You will have to wait and see. I'd think he'd be sick by now if it was poisonous.

I'm not an expert AT ALL- But I think no one here can tell you exactly how the glider will react. Just look forward and make sure he doesn't keep getting his lil hands on this stuff.

Health related
Oct 20 2014
11:29:41 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
It has been over 48 hours since your first post - I believe your glider would appear sick if there were any thing hazardous or poisonous about the food he ingested.

Health related
Oct 21 2014
04:25:35 PM
Yeah he seems fine and is eating and running around as normal. Thank you all for your input!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders