Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Staying up very late and hissing
Behavior
Oct 19 2014
11:59:05 AM
So, for a few days now, my glider has acted unusual in the mornings, or at least I think it seems unusual to me

He almost ALWAYS stays up until I get up in the morning and come in the room, in this case, since I stayed up VERY late (4) with him last night playing, I woke up at noon and he was still active in the cage

(he also, for some reason, has a habit of not wanting to get up on his own until like 11)

He also almost always hisses at me in the morning, not a super short hist, a long drawn out hiss

It is NOT related to any bodily function, it is directed squarely at me
I thought for the last 2 days that is was maybe hunger, because if I gave him a piece of fruit he would crawl in his pouch and just go to bed

Today, he was hissing a lot, I went to give him some applesauce on a plate, he totally ignored it and started crawling all over me, he just wants to play!
He played for a few minutes then I think just now crawled in bed.

Anyone else experience anything similar?

Should I try manually waking him up and getting him going earlier in the night to work him back to a normal glider schedule?

Should I play with him in the mornings, or ignore him and let him sleep? I'm not sure what this means
Behavior
Oct 19 2014
06:53:04 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Is you'r gliders cage in a dark room during the day? lights on at night? If the cage is in a dark room your gliders internal clock might be out of sync. They need to be in a room with adequate day light during the day to signal "bed time" and darkness at night to wake them up. We leave a soft light on at night on the other side of the room so there's light but it's very indirect lighting.

Then there is this possibility lol, My Leela has been awake until late morning a couple times and not just awake but in high gear and hyper, so hyper I couldn't keep up with her lol. There was no containing her in the bonding pouch until she was ready to go to sleep, so I would just play with her in the cage for a lil bit n then wait until she went to sleep to get her out again. At night she acted a lil squirrely as well, very skittish, rigid tail curling like an irritated cats tail lol it's hard to explain. The first time she acted like this she wouldn't go to the bottom of the cage at all, I thought maybe a bug or something was in the tray but there was nothing.

We had a few storms roll through our area when she was acting like this so we chalked it up to changes in atmospheric pressure. Her abnormal behavior lasted 3-5 days then she was back to normal ( and the storms cleared off )

As for hissing, mine don't really hiss much but the couple times Leela hissed directly at me was like a greeting I guess. She was on my shoulder when she hissed then she groomed my cheek and went in her pouch. Hers was like a short hiss followed by a chirp... I'm not positive but I think it was about the same time the other weird behavior was going on. Wish I could explain more about hissing but mine purr and "raccoon coo and chatter" more than hissing.

Behavior
Oct 19 2014
07:34:28 PM
rjpope42 Joey Visit rjpope42's Photo Album 46 Posts
Barometric Pressure might actually be it!!
My elbow was bothering me yesterday (which I know is pressure related and I'm in tune with, also a tendinitis injury in my knee)
and looking at pressure data it did spike here last night, so that adds up with how hyper he was this morning

as far as lights, they are indeed on all day, and it is darker at night. I also live in this room, so I can't turn them off totally until i go to bed, I'll try throwing a blanket over his cage to block the light at dinnertime each night though and see if that helps :)

as far as the hissing, I do think it is a combination greeting/telling me he is annoyed at being locked up

New cage should get here Tuesday, hopefully that helps! :)
Behavior
Oct 19 2014
07:46:19 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
The long hiss followed by a short bark is often a call out to other gliders.

If he is alone, especially if he was with other gliders previously, he may be calling out for a glider companion.

Keeping your room lights on late will cause your glider to get up very late - My gliders will not come out of their pouches until I turn off all the lights in their room. they are OK with the light from a laptop screen or small television but more than that and they will not come out.

Also - if you are staying up very late and then sleeping late in the morning - with the room darkened for your own sleep needs - it will delay the gliders going into their pouch to sleep.

They need lights on during normal daylight hours - and off after sunset to regulate their internal clocks.

Covering the cage in the evenings may help them wake up earlier - but you cannot enjoy the gliders activity if the cage is covered and you cannot see them. If you uncover the cage with the lights on they will probably retreat to their pouch until you turn out the lights.

Behavior
Oct 19 2014
07:55:27 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Awesome! :)

The blanket over the cage should help him wake up sooner but it might not take affect until the pressure goes back to "normal" and he gets back on his regular routine.

Congrats on the new cage Were fixin on getting some new toys and a new wheel soon I can't wait!
Behavior
Oct 20 2014
05:20:15 AM
rjpope42 Joey Visit rjpope42's Photo Album 46 Posts
It's not followed by a bark, just a long hiss, maybe 1 full second
He also does it when I move his fleece things around or mark them with my scent, leading me to believe it is an annoyed sound

He was also not kept with other gliders before, the breeder I got him from refused to split up gliders that were bonded together
In the same room as other gliders, entirely possible

Also, the room was not dark until noon, there were open windows

Shrug, I dimmed the lights at 10 and that's when he got up last night, he's asleep mow, guess things are back to normal :)

Leela, I just ordered a stealth wheel to go with the cage as well, I'm excited!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders