Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
fleece cage perch
fleece cage perch
Question
Oct 19 2014
02:21:35 PM
I just discovered a flexable fleece cage perch on ebay. It would be perfect for my cage because I had to remove the shelf to make room for a new glider safe wheel. (A larger cage is not an option at this time.) This fleece perch has a stainless steel wire inside and PVC end caps. My main concern is the frequent cleaning it would need. I was wondering if anyone has one of these perches and if it is a good option.
Information
Oct 19 2014
08:16:12 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Can you post a photo of the perch or a link to the one you saw?

I cannot quite get a mental picture of it.

Does it come with cleaning instructions? It does not sound like something you could put in the washing machine unless the fleece is removable from the wire part.
Question
Oct 20 2014
08:05:06 AM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to do that. I just went to Ebay and typed in "flexible fleece cage perch."
Question
Oct 20 2014
10:15:59 AM
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xflexible+fleece+cage+perch&_nkw=flexible+fleece+cage+perch&_sacat=0

While this is a clever way to make this type of bird perch glider safe - It will get smelly very quickly and will be difficult to wash.

The CORE of these perches is probably a rope bird perch like this:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5059+5771+5806&pcatid=5806

I used to use the bird ropes in my glider cages - when I first got my gliders. They were a favorite place for my gliders to pee as they walked along the perch. They are quite good at soaking up glider pee - but there is no good way to wash them and rinse the pee out of the fibers. I threw them out after a couple weeks. By that time they had also begun to fray at the ends.
Question
Oct 20 2014
12:35:09 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
Thanks, Candy. Sounds like maybe not such a good idea. Maybe I will just braid some fleece and stretch it across the cage instead.
Information
Oct 20 2014
09:05:52 PM
I use the plastic rings sold for babies to make chains across the cage for my gliders to climb around on. They also work well to hang toys from like the monkeys (barrel of monkeys game). You can also hand plastic bracelets from the chain using the monkeys. My gliders like to knock everything apart so I can pick up all the pieces and reset the game for them each night.
Question
Oct 21 2014
05:38:09 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
When we got our cage, it came with 2 pine perches which of course got yucky real fast. So, we ordered acrylic cut-to-size rods from Tap Plastics, and my husband notched the ends so they would fit like the wood perches did. We have two that can be taken out every week and washed in the sink. It was totally worth the minor expense ( about $20). The only issue is they're smooth, so occasionally a glider will "slip" and go from right side up to upside down. I'll probably rub them with sandpaper eventually to make the surface less smooth.
Question
Oct 21 2014
08:52:37 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
What kind of cage was it? Pine wood, branches, chips, shavings are toxic for gliders.
Information
Oct 21 2014
10:16:55 AM
Kferg You can also make a very simple 'tube' of fleece to fit snuggly when slid onto the acrylic rod. You could wash the fleece cover along with pouches whenever you wash the rod.

The same type "perch" can be made with 3/4" or 1" inch PVC pipe.
Question
Oct 21 2014
06:11:47 PM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Leela, thanks I guess I dodged a bullet there. It is the hexagonal cage you can find on just about any site with glider cages. Candy, great ideas! Thanks.
fleece cage perch

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
fleece cage perch