Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Other pets
Other pets
Question
Oct 19 2014
03:32:36 PM
So I am thinking about getting a new pet and I've had my sugar gliders for a while. I was wondering what kind of pet I should get. I want a small mammal (guinea pigs, rats, hamsters hedgehog ext.) can my sugar bond to any of those and if you have any other ideas that would be good too! Also I love pets have enough money and a lot of time thanks

Edited by - Roboyuki11 on Oct 19 2014 03:34:19 PM
Information
Oct 19 2014
07:53:11 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
You just got your gliders in August - are you bored with them already?

No - your sugar glider should not have any contact with other pets of another species. Gliders are very scent oriented and territorial. They may fight with any other animal in their immediate area.

Your glider would love to have a rat or hamster - for LUNCH - literally. Gliders are fully capable of catching and killing another small animal for food.

We had another forum member try to house a glider with a hedgehog - that resulted in the death of the glider.

If you choose another pet - plan to keep the two species in separate locations - either on opposite sides of the room or in another room all together.

Edited by - Candy on Oct 19 2014 07:55:34 PM
Question
Oct 19 2014
08:09:16 PM
Kailey0317 Glider Visit Kailey0317's Photo Album 69 Posts
I understand just wanting many different species as many people who have gliders have hedgehogs, gliders, short tailed opossums, ferrets, mice, kinkajous, etc. However I agree and don't recommend mixing the animals together.

I can feel wanting another animals while not being bored with the one you have. Some people have the glider bug and buy several gliders. While some people love having different species and appreciating the uniqueness of each. I think that is why I respect reptile owners ha.
Question
Oct 20 2014
08:17:41 AM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
As others have said, it is not a good idea to put a glider in contact with an animal from another species.

Is your glider a lone glider? If he/she is, perhaps a better option would be to get him a companion, since gliders thrive in company of other gliders.
Question
Oct 21 2014
09:14:26 AM
jmoncil Joey 12 Posts
Be very careful if you decide to get another animal; I agree do not try to bond the gliders with other animals. You never know what kind of animals are predators or can be harmful. I know this from experience. I had a huge tragedy in my house a little while ago. I have different animals in my house, cats, dogs, gliders, fish, ferrets. The ferrets and gliders are in the same room but the door is open to the room so dogs and cats can wander in at anytime. My gliders love to explore and would run all around the room, climb on the ferret cage (and the ferrets would pay no mind to the gliders and show no aggression towards them at all). Well one night I fed my gliders and then we went out for the night; the next morning we noticed that we were missing a glider and that the cage (which has doors that side up and down) did not close completely and she got out. We searched the house and found poop in almost every room; the living room, kitchen, all over the room that they stay in. Since it was day time I figured that she found a high place in a curtain or something to sleep and she would come back out and wander at night. Then in my house cleanings I was cleaning the ferret cage, and there she was (no longer with us) in one of the little covered hammocks that the ferrets sleep in. I was so upset since like I said when the gliders would climb on the cage they showed no aggression towards the gliders and vice versa. So now (one we are getting a new cage that does not have the stupid sliding doors that go up and down) and two we are paying close attention to where the gliders are going. I am not mad at my ferrets, we looked it up online and learned that in the wild, prairie dogs are a main predator for gliders. So just be careful and ensure that the space is safe if one of your gliders were to get out and wander.
Other pets

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Other pets