Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
GRAVELY ILL SUGAR GLIDER. HELP!!!
Health related
Oct 20 2014
09:45:50 PM
My glider has been sick for the past week. There are no vets around to see her.it started with what seemed like a cold. Her eyes were a little small which some gunk or crust and she was not getting along with her other cage mate at all. We kept feeding her as normal but seperated them. We made sure her water was full but she kept getting weaker. Now it's to the point where she is up during the day a bit and just always sleeping. It seems her right side is a bit paralyzed. Though she can still move it some and she is very weak. I can't bear to see her this way. I don't know what to do. It seems she is suffering and the nearest vet is over 200 miles away. Someone please help me...how can I make her pain stop?

Edited by - samii08 on Oct 20 2014 10:02:10 PM
Health related
Oct 20 2014
11:24:51 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Where are you located? We can try to help find a closer vet.

This site might have some vets closer to you.

http://www.sugargliderhelp.com/links/pages/Sugar_Glider_Vet_Database/index.html

It is likely that your glider is dehydrated. Try to get your glider to drink some fluids - diluted apple juice or plain pedialyte would help keep her hydrated.

ANY vet can give your glider sub-Q fluids even if they have little experience with gliders.

Keep your glider in a pouch and tuck the pouch inside your shirt to keep your glider warm.

We are not vets and cannot give you specific medical treatments other than giving your glider fluids and keeping her warm.
Health related
Oct 20 2014
11:28:53 PM
samii08 Starting Member 6 Posts
Located in del rio, tx. Zip code 78840. Is it really possible that dehydration could be causing such dramatic symptoms?
Health related
Oct 21 2014
12:15:05 AM
Dehydration is a symptom of the overall illness in many gliders - but if you do not correct the dehydration the glider will continue to go down hill.

Check the list of vets I posted above. There should be many vets in Texas - there is bound to be one closer to you than 200 miles.

You are going to have to get her to a vet ASAP to have a chance of her pulling through.
Health related
Oct 21 2014
12:17:17 AM
Health related
Oct 21 2014
12:24:19 AM
I've been giving her the diluted apple juice. I've noticed now that her right eye has gunk on it and I'm wiping it off with a warm wet towel because it is getting crusted. The only vet is 2.5 hrs away. Due to work I'm not able to go until Thursday. I'm praying she will get some what better.
Health related
Oct 21 2014
10:43:08 AM
The 'gunk' in her eye is an indication that there is an infection going on. Untreated, an infection in a sugar glider will most likely get worse. If the bacteria causing the infection gets into the blood stream the glider develops what is called 'sepsis' which can cause a glider to go down hill VERY quickly. Thursday may be too late to for your glider.

I pray she will improve, but vet care is a immediate need. Is there anyone that could take her to a vet for you?

If you can find a local vet that is willing to consult with a vet that has glider experience, you can give the vet this information. These vets are willing to talk on the phone to other vets to help them choose the best treatment for sugar gliders even if they are not very familiar with them.

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com/VET_consultants.pdf

You cannot contact these vets yourself unless you are close enough to one of them to make an appointment to have them see your glider.

Edited by - Candy on Oct 21 2014 10:47:02 AM
Health related
Oct 21 2014
11:00:57 PM
I finally found a vet 1.5 hrs away that would see her only tomorrow afternoon. The receptionist didn't seem very competent since she told me I couldn't even have a glider as a pet. But I still made the appt, as they were the only one that would see her. Sadly she did not make it through the afternoon. At least she is not suffering anymore. I just hope my other glider does not sink into depression.
Health related
Oct 22 2014
10:40:32 AM
I am so sorry for your loss.

If possible, you may want to take your other glider to the vet for a well check up to make sure he is healthy and does not have any parasite issues. This is especially important if your gliders had never been checked by a vet. Parasite issues can weaken a glider and its immune system and cause problems from illnesses that would otherwise not be an issue.
Health related
Oct 22 2014
11:52:09 AM
Thank you I appreciate that. I will
Health related
Oct 22 2014
11:59:08 AM
NerdyHails Face Hugger Visit NerdyHails's Photo Album NerdyHails's Journal FL, USA 566 Posts
Im so sorry for your loss
Health related
Oct 22 2014
01:10:50 PM
Kris_N_Zoe Joey Visit Kris_N_Zoe's Photo Album TX, USA 34 Posts
So sorry for your loss.
Health related
Oct 22 2014
02:46:42 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
I'm sorry, Samii. I had a rescue go down similarly even with a good vet and antibiotics. Sadly, loss is a part of loving. Take good care of your other little fuzzy friend.
Health related
Oct 22 2014
03:37:34 PM
Thank you everyone. I appreciate it. Does anyone know what I can do to keep my other one getting lonely?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders