Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New cage New Wheel Newly Neutered Glider
Pictures
Oct 21 2014
11:49:44 PM
Gus got neutered on Monday and his new cage and wheel got set up today!

Surgery went great, he is recovering great, he is starting to get interested in the new wheel, and I think he will really enjoy the new cage :)

Pictures
Oct 22 2014
07:20:38 AM
rjpope42 Joey Visit rjpope42's Photo Album 46 Posts
Sorry to double post my own post, but I have a couple questions.

1, What to do with the potentially poisonous pocket pets pcage?
Is it OK to save and use as a travel cage for short weekends, or just throw it away?

2, The cage (brisbane on exotic nutrition, Sturdy on suncoast) came with 2 wooden perches
Since both sites are reputable and bragging about how safe the cage is, and neither say to Not use them, I assume they are glider safe wood?
Can anyone verify that?

Thanks!
Pictures
Oct 22 2014
08:40:33 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
From what I've heard, the PP cages were switched to newer materials that did not have the toxic coating. It would depend on how old the cage is. For travel, medical isolation, etc. it is a good thing to keep around.

As for the wood...you'll probably end up pitching it out on your own after it absorbs the lovely glider pee smell. I don't use anything that can't be thoroughly cleaned every couple weeks.

You're going to want to trick out his new home with toys, etc. What sorts of things do you have in mind?
Pictures
Oct 22 2014
09:27:32 AM
The cage was used, no idea how old it was, that's why i wasnt gonna risk it and got him a new one

I figured keeping it would be a good idea,
If it takes months for toxins to build up in their systems, using it for him to stay in one or two nights every few months shouldn't be an issue

For toys, he already has fleece ropes, definitely a hammoc or fleece tunnel, and i think I'm gonna make a ball pit, any other suggiestions? :)
Pictures
Oct 22 2014
10:00:04 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
He will definitely love the space to climb and jump in his new home.

The perches are safe, but as said, they will get smelly very quickly. You can make tube like fleece covers for the perches that can be washed frequently to extend the life of the wood if your gliders like them in the cage, but eventually they will need to be tossed.

I found the perches (unused) worked out to be the perfect way to block my gliders from going under the pocket door to the bathroom and into the wall (after Sassy showed me that this could be done). I slid two of the perches under the door through the metal bracket on the floor. As a bonus, I could slide them out when I closed the bathroom door for glider play time and they also blocked the space under the door that Sassy had used for her escape after moving the towel I had been putting there.

The small cage may be handy to have for short term use like for car travel, or even to hang your glider's pouch in on the days you might take the new cage outside for a good scrub down and hose rinsing. I have a small hamster cage I use on cleaning day. My gliders just sleep undisturbed until their clean cage is dry and all set up for them.
Pictures
Oct 22 2014
02:59:25 PM
As for toys, we could all go on and on. Reset toys are great. Just type in toys in the search above or google glider safe toys. They all have their own preferences. Most like things that hang that they can knock down or carry around with their tails (plastic bracelets, plastic bottle caps, monkeys from barrel of monkeys, toddler link chains). They work all night at undoing everything, taking some favorites into their pouch. I put it all back up during the day so that they can start all over at night. I completely switch up the design of their set up every 2 weeks on wash day. Smaller changes I make during that time to keep their little minds interested. Things you can hide treats in are a favorite (wiffle balls, parrot bell balls, even parrot treat puzzle toys for your extra keen gliders).
Pictures
Oct 23 2014
01:51:40 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be making/getting more toys tomorrow / this weekend (no classes on Friday is the best thing ever) :)

I'm also making an environmental control system, hopefully I'll post about that as well :)
Pictures
Oct 23 2014
02:33:18 PM
Sounds interesting.
Pictures
Oct 23 2014
06:45:48 PM
Jon Brand Joey 46 Posts
I just wash the perches with dish soap and water with a sponge. Seems to work fine.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders