Advice for a chewer
Behavior
Oct 28 2014
10:55:28 PM
Do any of you have chewers?

Gus just will not stop chewing, and I'm starting to get frustrated by it

It's also only rubber

Anything he encounters that is rubber, he wants to start ripping apart

Pencil Grips, shoes, look what he did to my backpack handle (which is one inch wide, for size comparison), coat hanger, armrest of chair, phone charger, laptop charger, etcetera

He couldn't care less about wood, only rubber

(note on cables, he ignores the wire itself, and only cares about connectors)

I gave him a pencil grip in his cage to play with, and he has a ball pit he enjoys, but I also saw him attempt to take a chunk out of a fluffy pompom

He also has an annoying habit of biting me when I pick him up (when I manage to), and occasionally randomly
(not hard, still really annoying)

Is this normal for "teenage" male gliders?
Do you think he will grow out of it?

Is there any way to curb or satisfy this behavior?

Thanks,

Behavior
Oct 28 2014
11:06:34 PM
TotesMaGoats Glider Visit TotesMaGoats's Photo Album TotesMaGoats's Journal VA, USA 84 Posts
My girl chews on hard things (plastic, the tips of shoe laces, my toes etc) I gave her little apple sticks they sell at pet stores and whenever I give her those she doesnt chew so much on other things. While I was at the pet store I found an xtra small puppy kong. it is no longer than my pinkie and the hole is too small for any heads to get stuck. And since it is a kong it is rubber. Maybe that will help. He will have his own rubber toy to chew on. You can also put treats inside the kong so they have to get it out.

Maybe this can help cut down on the chewing?
Behavior
Oct 30 2014
10:41:28 PM
Haku Glider Visit Haku's Photo Album FL, USA 70 Posts
Just because of experience I would stay away from apple sticks only because they are what caused the abscess on Haku, and I ended up with a extra bill of $140 because of it. Now when she wants to chew I just try to distract her, I know its difficult and it makes sense for them to eat apple sticks because of them chewing bark in the wild but my guess is thats why they only live 5 years in the wild because of problems like that we can prevent. Just figured Id share. Hope it helps. Id just advise you keep an eye on them if you let them eat apple sticks or anything that can punture their sensitive skin and potenitally cause an infection like an abscess. Hope this helps!
Behavior
Oct 30 2014
10:47:21 PM
rjpope42 Joey Visit rjpope42's Photo Album 46 Posts
Thanks both!

I'll look for a glider-sized kong, hopefully sometime I can get some euc. or such, I've heard they like that :)
Behavior
Oct 30 2014
11:07:31 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Check the ferret toys for a very small Kong toy.

If he likes to strip the rubber off things - check out the baby rings - some of those have the colorful rubber sections - my gliders like to strip those off of the rings. They also like to chew on little army men or the monkeys from the barrel of monkeys game.

Behavior
Oct 30 2014
11:25:26 PM
Where did you pick up a barrel of monkeys game?
I went to both meijer and walmart, neither had it :P
Behavior
Oct 31 2014
06:50:59 AM
FairyGirl Glider Visit FairyGirl's Photo Album 95 Posts
I found BoM at Walmart in toys where they sell card card games. Also you can buy them on Amazon. They only bad part is they're not cheap anymore. My boy LOVES his monkeys which is funny cause "Monkey" is his nickname. I get to say "Monkey is eating his monkeys".... anyway for the price they get their money's worth out of them.

Both mine chew but on different things. My girl will walk on the outside of the wheel and there is a rough patch that she's chewed up. Straws!!! I did not really believe how much they loved straws til I gave them some.
Behavior
Oct 31 2014
11:09:18 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
You can also find inexpensive versions of the monkey in a barrel game at most dollar stores. They have elephants and dinosaurs in addition to monkeys - all hang the same way on the glider cage. At Easter they also have bunnies. Glider don't care which you buy.
Behavior
Oct 31 2014
12:56:22 PM
BandP Super Glider Visit BandP's Photo Album 389 Posts
I found the barrel of monkeys at Walmart.

Be glad your gliders only chew rubber. Ours chew skin-ears, neck, arms mainly, but they also like heads. We try wearing hats, headphones, long sleeves and nothing really helps. Long sleeves do though.

The only thing we've been able to figure out is they are bored. Playtime in the bathroom is when they chew, and the options for changing everything around are limited unlike their cage. When we (occasionally) have taken them out in the living room with a completely unknown and strange (to them) set of thiings to explore, they don't do any biting at all. They climb on the blinds, the tall bookcase, the door jam and have a great time doing it and jumping between us, around on things. It's still strange enough that they don't venture off us for long.

I have been unable to find the baby keys anywhere. I tried Target, Walmart, Amazon, and I tried the online version of all of those. I buy little rings, little halloween rings or bracelets, little plastic pumpkin cupcake things and they all seem to like them, but where to do it in the bathroo?

I'm baffled.
Behavior
Oct 31 2014
01:14:51 PM
They they are definitely biting out of boredom

Why not play with them in the living room then?
I don't have a bathroom to use, i just use my room room

There's so much for him to explore, he spends most of the time running around and stops to check on me every 10 minutes or so
Advice for a chewer

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Advice for a chewer